HEMA Alliance Elections 2015-2016

HEMA Alliance news, as well as upcoming and past events.
Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

HEMA Alliance Elections 2015-2016

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:49 am

Elections!

The HEMA Alliance is a 501c3 non-profit whose day to day operations are run by an elected Governing Council. The Governing Council serves a year term with a 5 year consecutive term-limit. Each year we go through the process of electing a President and 6 Governing Council members, for a total of 7 people in the GC.

After elections the GC chooses a Curriculum Council Director. The CC director operates and maintains Instructor Certification.

Time Frame (Subject to change if we have any delays)

Nominations 7-6-2015 - 7-27-2015

Voting 8-3-2015 - 8-10-2015

New GC Installed
8-17-2015

How it works
People can nominate others to run for office in this forum thread.
People nominated must be a HEMAA member and be prepared to volunteer their time to attend meetings and work on HEMAA issues.
People nominated must accept and also indicate if they are running for the position of President. Only people who have been on the Governing Council before can run for President.

What sort of work needs to be done?
Maintaining Records (Membership/Taxes/Budget)
Maintaining Stock (Shirts/patches)
Website Design and Maintenance
News Letter
Ensure fees (insurance/corporate/IRS) are paid
Promote Projects (Wiktenauer)
Promote Services (Event-Support, Discounts, Instructor Certification)
Promote HEMAA
Educate (Members/Affiliates/Events/Public)
Keep the HEMAA Board of Directors informed
Maintain relationships with the community
Moderate social media
Vote on expenditures
Vote on policy
Update forum on GC business
More!

Who is unable to run?
  • John Harmston! That's right, he's been on for 5 years and has done tireless work. We still need him, but that's the term limit and he can't run. SO! Please thank him for his work and throw rose petals at his feet.
  • Michael Chidester. His position as Wiktenauer Director already soaks up every minute of spare time he has.
  • Jonathan Mayshar. He's too busy, but will be keeping membership afloat and working on other HEMAA tasks.
  • Nonmembers. Interested in running? Join the HEMAA.
  • People with no time to donate. In the past we've had well-meaning, but busy people, elected and then unable to fulfill their role in the GC. If you are unable to show up to meetings once a month or regularly check email, then running isn't for you. Have the time, but are worried life might later get in the way? We'll take the risk! Go ahead and run. The GC is always looking for people with time, talent and initiative.
Do I have to be a HEMAA member in the USA?
No. We have had non-US HEMAA members on the GC before.

NOMINATED
(P) Indicates they are running for President

Jayson Barrons
Joseph Brassey
Myles Cupp
Ben Floyd
Meg Floyd
Richard Marsden (P)
RJ Mckeenhan
Tracy Mellow
Jonathan Ying
Last edited by Richard Marsden on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Meg Floyd
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: HEMA Alliance Elections 2015-2016

Postby Meg Floyd » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:58 am

As a voting HEMAA member, I'm nominating the following people:

For GC -

Ben Floyd
Richard Marsden
Joseph Brassey
Ból jest najlepszym nauczycielem.

“What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises—no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting.”
― Frank Herbert

http://www.kriegschool.com

Meg Floyd
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Meg Floyd » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:15 am

Also nominating Jayson Barrons for the GC.

“What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises—no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting.”
― Frank Herbert

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:18 am

I accept.
I will run for President.

How long will Marsden's Tyranny last?
I was on the GC in 2013
President in 2014
Joined the Board of Directors in 2014
I am on the GC this year, 2015

Which means I can do two more years and will endeavor to do so.

Background
As noted above, I've been involved in the HEMAA GC since 2013. The organization had issues at the time, mostly due to growth and all of us learning how to run and operate a 501c3 non-profit. We knocked out (and I mean we, this took numerous members of the GC) some of them. Example, pretty much everything I did, or worked on, was hand in hand with guys like Ben Floyd, Mayshar, Harmston etc.

501c3 status is up and running.
Safety Policy was established which was needed to maintain our insurance.
Event Policy was established and has been sponsoring/supporting events.
Instructor Certification was established by the CC and promoted.
Discounts established, including long-term and seasonal, both for products and events.
Fundraising for Wiktenauer was promoted. (Chidester and Harmston did wonders for this)
FB page was established. (Harder than you think, we debated on how best to do this and a two tier-system was implemented. I wanted total lockdown, but cooler heads prevailed)
Expenditures. (Shirts, Patches, Manuscripts, Events etc.)

My personal background is that I've been involved in swordplay since I was 15, became involved with the HEMA movement in 2007-8 or so, formed the Phoenix Society with John P. and have had a large and successful club since then. Iv'e written articles all over this forum and recently wrote a book on the Polish Saber, which originally started as a HEMA Alliance project a few years ago. I've been invited to teach at various events in the US and Canada. The Society has hosted various guests from the community and we always are happy to have more. We've done demos (some in modern HEMA attire, some in historical costume) and John P spear-headed a charity tournament raising $2000 for a women's shelter. On the tournament scene I have buckets of medals, but more importantly John and I's students have medals, and now THEIR students are starting to perform well. All of this is no solo-adventure. John P, Christopher Phoenix, Kyle the Cimmerian, Adam Simmons, and Jim Barrows are just some of the people involved in my immediate HEMA world that allowed for this success. I wanted to do it all. Fight well, have students who fight well, have a club, write a book, and be a model for HEMA as a movement. I might be a sickly thin model full of faults, but a model none the less. I do try and want HEMA to last generations, not just for my generation. Oh yeah, I'm a High School history teacher by trade, and do writing on the side, I like RPGs, have 3 cats, and a Masters in Land Warfare. My wife tolerates my madness.

Agenda
Build a Zeppelin

Big Tent - My view of the Hema Alliance is that it is a big tent. It can include many people and inclusion is my approach. Our movement as a whole is still relatively small. There are more Horseshoe Throwers (Yep, it's a thing) in Arizona than HEMA practioners. I want more people in the tent. Will everyone like each other in the tent? No, but the HEMAA's job isn't to make people like each other.

Water Company - HEMAA isn't a super-club. It was never designed to be and doesn't act like one. It's part of the reason we can have a big tent. HEMAA is like the water-company. It has a service that is vital to most people, and it's fairly neutral about who gets it. HEMAA's job is to service its members, affiliates and events. We have insurance options so members and events can do their thing. We have tax advantages that help members and events financially, ranging from taxes to grants. We support projects like Wiktenauer that anyone can use. We have discounts and subsidies. We have a Curriculum Council to provide Instructor Certification (which is optional). Rules are sparse, and mostly wrapped around our Safety Policy for insurance reasons, and expenditures for legal reasons. Drink our HEMAA water!

Nuts and Bolts - Over the years we've gotten a handle on the nuts and bolts of the organization. I'm still not satisfied and want to tighten down a few more things. A friend of mine said, "You've had years to do it!"
Good point.
I may need 2 more.
Worse, it may be ongoing. A forever thing as we implement new systems.

Membership automation has been the big shadow that's plaguing me since... oh day 3, and one way or another I want to be involved in getting that operational. Or die in the process. (Did you know I have less hair, a lot less hair, since getting involved in the GC?)

Promotion - HEMAA does things that its members forgets. One of my goals is that we sporadically remind members and events about what we can offer, be it discounts, or services like Instructor Certification, or banner subsidies.

Fund-Raising - We helped Wiktenauer raise 20k. I'd like to help again and get more manuscripts on the Wiktenauer site.

Website - We have some infrastructure built, we just need the talent to move it over. The current site is 'good enough', but we of course want better.

Outside the US - We have non-us HEMAA members and I like to work with them to see what we can do. By and large we're there as a community, but we're always seeking ways to do more, OR encourage our foreign members to set up a system like ours if possible.

Are YOU running?
If so, please talk a bit about yourself. One of the issues with our election process is, if we don't know you, how can we vote for you? Let us know your skill-sets and talents. Even if you do not win, we are always looking for talent.

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:16 pm

I accept the nomination, but I will not be running for President again.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member
Krieg School of Historical Fencing, a HEMAA group

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Jayson Barrons

Postby Jayson Barrons » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:22 am

...I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Jayson Barrons, and I'm running for GC.

I don't have the amount of fantastic pictures as Richard because I don't beard nearly as well as he does, but rest assured, I occasionally beard.

Something seems off about that sentence...

Why are you running?
I'm not going to lie, my agenda is fairly focused - I want to make the HEMAA digital experience one that serves the community, facilitates membership, and welcomes new people under that big ol tent.

While the current website and other digital experiences are *serviceable*, they had big shoes to fill when they were designed and content was created. But today those roles are better filled by other websites and platforms, and HEMAA needs to *digitally* prepare itself for the next five years, which will probably be more important than the previous five.

Why are you the asshole to do it?
I have been in experience and product design for 10 years or so now, and I consult companies on how to better server their users through good design. My client list is not small - Ikea, Mastercard, Home Depot, Weight Watchers, and Volkswagen just to name a few. Some of my projects have been used as case studies in digital transformation classes at Harvard Business School.

Also, I'm kind of already working on the website project and might as well make our relationship official.

Designing for people to make their lives better is my one of my callings in life. I take it very, very seriously.

I want the HEMAA digital experience(s) to feel professional, communicate hema competently, and act compassionately.

I want people to love the hemaa digital experience because they dont' even notice it, since they're too busy enjoying learning the arts and making friends.

Is that all you're going to do?
No, I'm not a dick.

I'll perform whatever additional duties that I can, when I can. I certainly don't see the digital experiences as my sole goal, just my primary focus.

I'm also not someone who shirks responsibility if I commit to it. Even if a point came where hemaa was getting tiring and I didn't want to spend time on it anymore, I would complete my term before bowing out. I do not, and will not, let people down due to lack of effort. Everyone here deserves better.

Ben Michels
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Ben Michels » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:03 am

devolve wrote:While the current website and other digital experiences are *serviceable*, they had big shoes to fill when they were designed and content was created. But today those roles are better filled by other websites and platforms, and HEMAA needs to *digitally* prepare itself for the next five years, which will probably be more important than the previous five.

^^^^^^^^

Josephb

Postby Josephb » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:22 pm

Sorry for the delay in my reply: I accept the nomination. I am not willing to serve as president.
"Honour, not Honours."

Jason Callis
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jason Callis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:46 am

I nominate Meg Floyd
Jason Callis
Steel Ring Academy
HEMAA Member
HFA Affiliate
http://www.steelringacademy.weebly.com

Meg Floyd
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Meg Floyd » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:01 pm

I accept the nomination to run for GC. I am not willing to run for President.

Why elect me? I am invested in the Big Tent idea behind the HEMA Alliance, and making sure the HEMAA continues to fulfill its obligations to provide services to its members. I've done my fair share of community building over the last few years within the community, both by running HEMA News (http://www.hemanews.com) and promotion and networking of various events and tournaments. I'm especially interested in strengthening ties between the U.S. and other international HEMA scenes, as I believe this raises the bar of quality of events, instruction, and fencing for all by cross-pollination of knowledge and instruction.

― Frank Herbert

Return to “Announcements & Events”