This Week in the Governing Council

HEMA Alliance news, as well as upcoming and past events.
Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

This Week in the Governing Council

Postby Richard Marsden » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Today the new Governing Council met and we spent the next 3 hours working out the year's agenda as well as working out duties.

President/Tyrant = Richard Marsden
Jason Barrons Webmaster
Myles Cupp General Secretary
Ben Floyd Treasurer/Gen Sec
Meg Floyd PR/Events
RJ Mckeehan Webmaster/CC Liason
Tracy Mellow Events
(Some specific duties seen below)

Agenda for the Year

1- Membership Automation.
We've tried numerous methods, with mixed results, in getting this to happen. We are aware that members are not being informed they aren't members and members are not being informed they are. We're looking at some professional companies who manage membership (and more) and can also manage our affiliates. We understand this is critical and we'll keep working at it. Someone, you know who you are, keep mentioning we've not got it right in 3 years. Fourth time's the charm as the ancient adage goes. Here's my Imperial Promise. If we don't get movement and something working this term on the issue, I'll not run for the GC or anything like that the following year. I'll walk off into the sunset into GC governmental exile. So, I certainly hope we (GC) get it figured out! Everyone is on deck for this, but if a head rolls at the end of the term it's mine. My assistant on the issue is Christopher Phoenix, who has been doing work on membership already. Of all the HEMAA needs this is the one that I have to see get 'fixed'. (Oh, and I choose what counts as success and failure!)

2- New Website.
I've seen it! It's real. It exists! It needs some photo-work, some content, but by and large it is ready to go. I imagine within a month or two the new website will be operational. The current one still WORKS, but we have a talented team to make the new site slick, modern and useful. Jayson Barrons is our lead on that and RJ Mckeehan will be assisting.

3- Wiktenauer Access to Money.
The Big W raised a good sum of money, and while we are able to spend it, the Director has not been able to make wire transfers. Something he needs to be able to do. We are going to try and fix that problem so the money is easier to access for W needs. Your Wiktenauer Director is Michael Chidester and I'll be personally involving myself in this banking issue along with Ben Floyd.
http://www.wiktenauer.com

4- CC Website.
Mike Edelson, our Curriculum Council Director, is working on a website. The CC is largely left independent from the Governing Council and will produce content throughout the term.
RJ Mckeehan is our HEMAA liaison to the CC.

5- Instructor Certification.
We have IC available, and we'll do a better job promoting this year at events. We hope all HEMAA Members who are currently teaching attain Instructor Certification. Myself and another member of my club did it, and more on the way. I love the process and the CC did a good job with it. I hope others use it. Mike Edelson will work on that and RJ Mckeehan is our HEMAA liaison to the CC.
http://hemaalliance.com/instructor-certification/

6- Events Sponsorship.
HEMAA will Sponsor and Support events, and have done so in the past and will continue to do so. Longpoint, Socal, Combat Con, Brass Frog, NYFA, and more have benefited from this service and we want to reach out to other events to remind them. Also, events who used Event Sponsorship/Support before need to know they can come back to us each year. Meg Floyd and as a volunteer Ben Michels will be working on that.
http://hemaalliance.com/eventssupport

7- Newsletter.
Meg Floyd, a pro at such matters, will be putting forth Newsletters for the HEMAA and its members. We have clubs to showcase, but also services people sometimes forget we have! With new members incoming we want them to know what HEMAA can do for them as well as remind longtime members. Meg will be assisted by Myles Cupp.

8- Services.
HEMAA offers discounts, nonprofit status, affiliation, sponsorship and more. Still, we want to find new ways to benefit our members and are looking for more long-term discounts, relationships with vendors, and more. Tracy Mellow, and Myles Cupp will be reaching out to see what else the HEMAA can offer its membership.

9- Bylaws Updating.
Something boring, but something that has to get done. Tracy Mellow and Jayson Barrons (website) will be ensuring these are updated and available.

10- Insurance/Status/Taxes Etc.
The whole HEMA Alliance GC is responsible for maintaining our insurance, 501c3 status, taxes and so forth. To help wit this we remind affiliates and events using our insurance and or 501c3 status the following.
1- You must use the Safety Policy if you are operating under the insurance provided by the HEMAA. (Not following the policy jeopardizes HEMAA's ability to provide insurance.)
http://hemaalliance.com/member-services/safety-policy/
2 - You must report any income to the HEMAA if you wish to use tax-exempt status. (We don't report to the IRS on what you didn't tell us!)
GoverningCouncil@Hemaalliance.com

11 - A New Age of Tyranny and Darkness
You did vote for it. My first vile act is to sell the HEMA Zeppelin in exchange for a 'laser' of considerable size but unknown purpose to be used in a mostly built moon-shaped station. Sorry.

12 - HEMAA!
We want to promote HEMA and HEMAA! Thank you members and affiliates and projects (Wiktenauer). We hope to continue to provide you services and make your lives better and easier when it comes to HEMAA. It's our job!

Comments? Don't leave them here, I'd like to keep this open for future GC posts. Comment on FB or if a serious issue GoverningCouncil@Hemaalliance.com

http://i.imgur.com/CfDaARu.png?1

The next GC meeting will be
8-30-2015

PS - I have gotten a total of FIVE messages asking that my health not collapse like last time. I promise, if my health collapses totally, it'll be the last thing I do.

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: This Week in the Governing Council

Postby Richard Marsden » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:06 pm

This Week in the GC

Jason Barrons Webmaster
Meg Floyd PR/Events
Tracy Mellow Events/New Members Liason

Topics Discussed
First, Tracy Mellow is now our New Member Liason. Direct questions to him at irongate1409 (at) gmail.com

Membership
Website
FB Moderation
Insurance
Wiktenauer
News Letter
HEMAA Sponsorship for Events

Our main goal is and remains membership management. We have several irons in the fire.
Website adjustments are coming.
Newletter is coming.

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:57 pm

This Week in the GC

Jason Barrons Webmaster
Meg Floyd PR/Events
Tracy Mellow Events/New Members Liason

Topics
Website
Coming along nicely. Pages are up, though we could use more photos of clubs in action. If you have any, let Jayson Barrons know!

Membership Automation
We have a service we're working with and so far so good. More news as we test it out and try to fire the laser.

Newsletter
Expect one soon. Do you have content you'd like to provide? Contact Meg Floyd.

Insurance
Repurchasing and doing some re-structuring as per Dean. Nothing is solid till they have our money, so more on that after we secure this years plan.

Restructure
Hemaa Affiliates who are self-insured or foreign (in that we cannot insure or offer them non-profit status) will be charged $100 per year. This replaces a tiered structure with one price for all self-insured and foreign affiliates. Membership requirements remain for affiliation.

Expect more restructuring as we move forward. Anything major will be announced well in advance.

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:11 am

Today, mostly updates!

Meg Floyd PR/Events
Tracy Mellow Events

We discussed the usual
Membership
Website
Newsletter
And are planning to try and have all three happen at once.

Several HEMA projects need funds and the Alliance discussed how we can possibly help.

Reminder to events that we can sponsor/support them.

Financial planning for the future.

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:49 am

It's been awhile!

Why?

Well, our forums were down, but now they are not. They also look fancy- so enjoy.

This week in the GC we covered what we had done and what we wanted to do.

Membership is largely automated. There are the occasional glitches, but nothing earth-shattering. This was a major issue for years, but looks largely solved. We've been expanding our membership and look forward to assisting our members.

Website is up. We're adding material, but like our membership, this is largely solved.

Forums were down, now they are up! No issues so far.

So, all in all, a lot of our mainstays are updated and operational. What's for the future?

Holiday Discounts! Members already have their Purple Heart Discount, now we're looking for a few other vendors to give our members a Holiday Discount. I have SGT lined up already and we're inquiring with others. Interested? Contact me on Face Book.

Club Finder. We do want a nice, new, fancy club finder. Long term project, but one we'll be working with.

Marsden
President

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:19 pm

This Week in the GC!

Meg Floyd PR/Events
RJ Mckeehan Webmaster/CC Liaison
Tracy Mellow Events

This week we covered some of the larger issues to tackle in the future.

Membership
Tidyclub has worked out well, and we have caught up with most of our members. If you ARE a member, and have no idea what Tidyclub is, let me know. I'm easily findable on Fancebook and can check up your membership and make sure you are on our new system. The new system automatically sends out welcome letters and renewal notices. I can't tell you how many people I met who last paid in 2013 and still thought they were members. So! Check with me today if you're unsure.

Map Software
We are working on map software. There is a free community walk club-finder, but HEMAA is hoping to have a newer, professional looking one. We're in the development stages at this moment.

Events
Working on making sure HEMAA members who throw events can get sponsorship from us. Ever curious how? Go here-
http://www.hemaalliance.com/eventssupport

Wiktenauer
There were some issues (still are) with Bank of America, but we have workarounds. Manuscripts are being purchased, and your Director, Michael Chidester, is working on getting out the various goodies from the last fund-raiser. Be patient, it's a one-man show!

Non Profit Status
As the HEMAA grows, we are looking into our non-profit status in various states and how best to administer it.

New Communication Software
We tested a new means of communicating with one another that is superior to our old voice-chat.

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:30 pm

Sorry I couldn't get this up quicker. Your Tyrant is sick.

Richard Marsden
Ben Floyd
Meg Floyd
RJ Mckeehan
Myles Cupp
Jayson Barrons

We had a brief meeting and discussed mostly how to maintain what we have going.

Membership
Insurance

And where we are at when it comes to a more advanced Club Finder

We also discussed supporting and sponsoring events.

Wiktenauer

Taxes

Life after Marsden and Ben Floyd

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:46 am

This Week in the GC

Marsden
Barrons
Cupp
Floyd (Ben)
Floyd (Meg)
Mckeehan

Topics

HEMA open facebook closure, moderating.
We discussed the why behind the closure and reaffirmed what is best for HEMAA. Differing views were brought up on moderating, and a consensus found on how we will operate. The short version is. Not keen on Nazis, but they need to post something first. Not keen on soapboxing, in which anyone, even for a good cause, hijacks the page. We reiterated that instant results is not something facebook pages should expect. Debated interpersonal communication.

Policies
Revisiting gender policies. Differing views in the GC, and further discussion needed as well as clarification of already current law our nonprofit has to follow.

HEMAA services
The HEMA Alliance is growing every day, and we are happy for it. We want to continue providing key services and are looking to make more! A club-finder with features is our current gameplan.

Marsden

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon May 23, 2016 10:59 am

This week in the GC

Marsden
Barrons
Floyd (Ben)
Mckeehan
Mellow

April Challenge went well, thanks all.

For May, we are focusing on the HEMA Alliance membership and how affiliates can work best to keep their prices low. To do that it is simple. The more HEMAA members in an Affiliate, the cheaper membership gets. 15 is the magic number. If you have an affiliate, get 15 paying members and everyone's rate drops to 26... a year! That's it!

Things have gone real well this term. Website revamp. Membership automation. Discounts. Facebook revamp. All good stuff. Well done everyone.

Sponsors
We discussed ways to get sponsors on our website and to showcase them on our FB channel. HEMAA has some long standing discounts with events and vendors and we want to remind people of that.

Club Map
Ongoing discussions about getting a club finder with features.

Finances
We discussed where our money is at and some issues with members wanting to create bank accounts under HEMAA.

Election Plans
We laid the early groundwork for elections. We'll do it as usual with people nominating, then voting by email.

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Marsden
Barrons
Floyd (Ben)
Mckeehan

Topics

Wiktenauer Finances

Additional Insured, tracking them and reminding them to renew in September

Contacting Expired Members

Website Additions

Elections

We're nearing the end of the term. July is when we tend to set up nominations, voting and get the new council in by August.

Things to remember is that HEMAA members can nominate anyone. Even non-members (but they have to join!). The President has to have served at least a year on the GC (Governing Council). When someone is nominated they'll state if they are running for President. All other nominations are for a seat on the Governing Council.

And a reminder that you can't nominate me. My 4 years as GC or Pres is coming to a close. I'll be on the board though, a lidless watching eye.

Marsden

Return to “Announcements & Events”