HEMA Elections August 2016

HEMA Alliance news, as well as upcoming and past events.
Jayson Barrons

Re: HEMA Elections August 2016

Postby Jayson Barrons » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:45 am

I also nominate Rebecca Glass.

Rebecca Glass

Postby Rebecca Glass » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:26 am

I accept the nomination.

My goals in the GC are the following, with #1 being by far the most important. I'm happy to go into further detail upon request:

1) Work with other members of the GC with help from experienced tournament organizers to develop a comprehensive judge training/certification program that would be accessible to all HEMA students, no matter how small or new their club.

2) Work with other members of the GC to help assist those who wish to start new clubs but do not have the funds or experienced members to do so. I am especially thinking of those who may want to start a club at their college/university, where interest and time are often there, but not money.

3) Create age and audience-adaptable materials available to those who wish to present on HEMA to a school, university, or other general audience.

About me:

I am a member of the New York Historical Fencing Association. I travel and compete frequently, which has given me exposure to a multitude of rule sets (Longpoint, Nordic, Lee Smith/West Coast, PHO, FNY, Sword Carolina, DC Open, Fecht Yeah!); I have judged all of these rule sets except for DC), as well as a multitude of experiences judging with both experienced and inexperienced tournament staff - judges, fight directors, ring bosses, etc.

I have presented on HEMA at last year's NYC Tolkien conference; the presentation was recorded for anyone interested.

I hold a BA with distinction in history, and currently work from home, which gives me enormous amounts of schedule flexibility for time.

RJ McKeehan
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby RJ McKeehan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:03 pm

I nominate Norman C. Lao. He's a newer student of mine, but incredibly driven and enthusiastic. He would be a good connection to Jonathan Mayshar and myself, and will no doubt bring many new ideas and a hard work ethic to the Council.
RJ McKeehan
South Coast Swords, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

normanlao

Postby normanlao » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Hello all,

My name is Norman C. Lao and on behalf of RJ McKeehan’s nomination and Jonathan Mayshar’s recommendation for me to run for a council position, I am incredibly honored and proud to accept this nomination.

How I became interested in HEMA: In April this spring, I attended the Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Irwindale, California and sampled their beginner fencing tutorials in the “interactive” pavilion at the faire. I instantly became enamored with it from both athletic and historical perspectives.

To be honest, fencing was my gateway into HEMA because I wanted something a little more robust than collegiate or olympic style fencing. I also remembered in a film that I watched recently called “Reclaiming the Blade” - there was mention of a movement out there where student practitioners were “translating historical texts to discover ancient techniques and to preserve the rich martial heritage of the past.” That seemed incredibly interesting to me as a direction to follow as I sought out the right group to join and begin my education in this martial art. My friend Brendon Goodyear suggested KRON (both the LA and Fullerton Chapters) because they were my best and regionally closest options (as I live in Orange County, CA.)

I have to say, I was a little intimidated at first - walking into my very first class; not knowing what to expect or if the group would be to my social tastes.

I cannot stress more how that ONE class made such a POSITIVE IMPACT on me. Jonathan was actually my instructor during my first session and really illustrated a great deal of what I could expect from joining South Coast Swords; from the gravitas of the martial art itself, to the respect and depth of RJ’s and Jonathan’s teaching…but most importantly to me - the friendliness and welcoming attitude of the club itself.

Ever since late May, when I truly thrust myself into HEMA and South Coast Swords, my overall experience has been overwhelmingly positive and incredibly enlightening and that is why I want to run for a position on this council.

My “platform” is to find better ways to consolidate social media information from different clubs and find a more consistent repository for new enthusiasts like myself to find them and draw inspiration from them - across all platforms: FB, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope (could be cool to see classes as they happen for people who are on the fence about trying).

I would like to focus on:

1. A Newbie’s Perspective: I would like to offer a position of leadership from a newbie's perspective and help HEMA as an organization reach out and help prospective students feel comfortable during their entry point into HEMA and making that transitional phase from newcomer to enthusiastic participant, so that they can quickly move past an trepidations they may have either at the start or in the first month or two of being a part of their club/organization.

2. Social Gatherings and Learning Events: It’s important to show new and prospective students that HEMA is just as much about camaraderie and group dynamic as it is learning the martial art and combat skill-sets.

3. Branding and Marketing: As a near 20 year veteran of Marketing and currently my 16th year as Creative Director for Simple Green (yes…the non-toxic, biodegradable cleaning solution), I think that brand strength - and in this case HEMA brand strength is paramount to consolidating a universal message to all potential and current HEMA practitioners out there. So I would love the opportunity to take a deep study in our branding procedures, logotypes, design theories, and all of the creative direction that we would like to evaluate in order to keep the brand fresh, relative and engaging across all platforms

4. Collective Information Sharing: Before I found South Coast Swords, as someone who was looking for “where to start” or “how to join” - it was difficult to try and find the right fit, because in all honesty…looking for 1) A Martial Arts group that teaches European martial tradition that 2) has a positive social dynamic and 3) has engaging trainers and enthusiastic support staff. These are elements of a very difficult equation to pin onto just one visit, or a few. I would like to work with the council to create a “Welcoming Experience on the main HEMA website” where interested parties can find a wealth of quick tips and hints such as “Where to Start” “How Much Does this Cost” “Local Clubs (based on location finder scripts)” “Club Ratings (like YELP)” and other aspects of putting a newcomers questions at ease so that we can capture their interests faster and with positive assurances. Perhaps even interview new people as they start their journey and have those videos on the website so people can identify with someone who just started the process themselves.

I love meeting people and trying new things and I believe that with the right tools in place, HEMA and all of the associated clubs can do exactly that. If we can work together to create a cohesive strategy across the main HEMA site - which can be adopted across individual club’s websites - we can create an even more robust method of giving greater, more informative and positive access to people who are on the cusp of joining and just need that extra ounce of encouragement.

Thank you all for your time and for your consideration.

Norm
We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass
We live for the One, we die for the One!

Rebecca Glass

Postby Rebecca Glass » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 am

I nominate jazzy bucci of Broken Plow

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Rebecca Glass wrote:I nominate jazzy bucci of Broken Plow

Why thanks, Rebecca! I accept the nomination for a seat on the General Council.

About Me
Many of you know me for my loud announcements and firm cup checks at Longpoint, PHO, and some smaller events. I am one of three partners that operate Broken Plow, with the help of a stellar faculty. During the day I am Director of Education at Integrated Theater Systems where I teach, design, and install infrastructure, such as lighting, audio, and video, into performing arts centers. I am a former Stage Manager for theatre, dance, and special events. I've done a stint in both IT and sales. I've worked for myself, as an independent contractor, at 501(c)3 non-profits, and at for-profit businesses.

What I currently do in HEMA
I am the general manager and a faculty member at Broken Plow. I have also work in various tournament management capacities at Longpoint, Purpleheart Armory Open, and throughout the Longpoint League. I like to keep the trains on time and have a solid plan going into the fun of a HEMA weekend.

My Platform
While my duties with Broken Plow and the various HEMA events I have committed to limit my time, I want to be a part of the growth of the HEMA Alliance's role in the everyday activities of schools everywhere. Check out the four topics that personally get me fired up and then see how I would like to get the larger involved with the General Council addressing these issues.

One of the biggest needs, as Rebecca Glass mentioned above, is the need for a Club Incubation Program (think of a startup incubator). There is more to a club than insurance and access to the manuals. Knowing the difference between forming a 501(c)3 not-for-profit and the many types of for-profit entities is critical to making this decision (when you are ready for it). How to market, how to get a space, how to create a business plan, etc. is an important part of creating a viable club. My experience in education, business, sales, and technology has helped me take Broken Plow to the next level and I would like to help get that info out to other club leaders.

Event management is my specialty. In addition to running a successful business, running a successful event is critical to every growing club. This is another point of passion for me. HEMA events take up most, if not all, of our vacation time. It is important that we create events that meet the needs of the attendees. Funding an event isn't enough. Success comes from knowledge, training, and mentorship.

Data Managment and Research is a splinter topic of the above. There are multiple teams that are working in this capacity. I'd like to if the HEMA Alliance can facilitate an online summit to be turned into a working group(s) if all participants are agreeable. While this may seem vague, many of us are working on projects such as scoring matrices, data collection, scientific research, universal registration systems, and scoreboard/scoring software, it could be useful in a community such as HEMA to come together to work smarter as opposed to harder.

Physical fitness and safety are at the core of making HEMA athletes. To address part A: too often we forget to focus on the kinesiology and pedagogy of working out. We have some great resources in our HEMA family that are only beginning to be tapped. Club leaders, coaches, and fighters require access to more information about topics such as muscle pair/group balancing, proper warmup/stretching, and the safer ways to work out. For part B: we are talking about safety. Sure, we have safety requirements that are dictated by the insurance that we require but there is more to it than that. How can we better use the data from events (both our own and from related martial arts) to reduce and prevent injury. I would like to see our resources brought together into a working group on Athletic Health & Safety in HEMA.

I've mentioned working groups multiple times. It isn't because I like bureaucracy but because I think that the men and women who are better suited should be working on a problem/project. I would like to pursue these and the interests of the other council members in such a way that includes the outside HEMA world! I see the role of the GC and HEMA Alliance as so much more than insurance and certifications. If we can collect the best people onto teams that brainstorm, write, and plan for the future, HEMA will be all the better for it.

My platform is based in a desire to help lead community members in solving their own problems while providing the framework, accountability, and path to funding that is required to solve universal issues. I see councilors as the people who build these working groups or committees and chair them on your behalf. HEMA will never elect a GC of 8 people that alone can address the issues we face as a community that is growing exponentially; however, I would like to join those nominated in moving HEMA and the Alliance forward.

Love,
Jazzy
Jonathan "Jazzy" Bucci
Broken Plow Western Martial Arts
events.brokenplow@gmail.com
http://www.pittsburghswordfighters.com

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:02 pm

Nominations are closed.

The main list has been updated. Bill via FB decided not to run.

Your ballots will be sent by email.

1- You must be a HEMAA member.
2 - You must be registered on TidyClub. It's how we've added new members for a year now.
3- Check your spam folder in case you do not get a ballot.

I'll send ballots August 1st. If you do not get one by the 2nd or 3rd, contact me here or on FB.

Jonathan Mayshar

Postby Jonathan Mayshar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:01 pm

As it's still technically 7/25 Richard has allowed me to slip in a last nomination.

Steaphen Fick of Davenriche European Martial Arts School has FINALLY joined the HEMA Alliance (as a Lifetime Member)! DEMAS is the most longstanding professionally-run HEMA school in the country, and Steaphen is a major builder of our HEMA culture. Of the many things I could say about him, I'll just say one more, since I have to now go call him and make him accept the nomination before the thread turns into a pumpkin:

Steaphen is deeply committed to professional ethics and responsibility for HEMA instructors, clubs, and events. He had been around a long time, and has a long view of what will carry HEMA for generations.
Jonathan Mayshar
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

Bill F

Postby Bill F » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:12 pm

Richard Marsden wrote:Nominations are closed.

The main list has been updated. Bill via FB decided not to run.

Your ballots will be sent by email.

1- You must be a HEMAA member.
2 - You must be registered on TidyClub. It's how we've added new members for a year now.
3- Check your spam folder in case you do not get a ballot.

I'll send ballots August 1st. If you do not get one by the 2nd or 3rd, contact me here or on FB.

Um, I did? News to me. Did you get me confused with someone else?
Amat victoria curam

New Hampshire KdF

Aaron Shober

Postby Aaron Shober » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:34 am

Firstly, thank you to those of you who nominated me or seconded my nomination. And thanks to Ben Floyd for suggesting that I run last year, though I did not feel ready for the responsibility then. I do not take it lightly. The HEMAA is very important to me and running for GC is a bit intimidating. The people who have been on the GC have always been my idols and role models, and increasingly my friends. I believe that I will be a helpful addition to it this year, and humbly ask for your vote.

Congratulations to Jayson Barrons, our soon-to-be President. This is a man I love, and would love the opportunity to work under his leadership. I am impressed with the list of nominees. I believe that no matter who is elected, the HEMAA is in good hands. Though you should still vote for me. ;)

A bit about my HEMA credentials:

I have studied, taught, and promoted HEMA full-time since 2010. HEMA is my passion and my career. And I know how blessed I am to be able to do this as an occupation. When I started, I knew nothing and had no one near me from whom to learn. I had found my calling, but not the map for the journey. Thank God I found the HEMA Alliance. I grabbed hold of it like a drowning man, leaned on it until I could stand on my own two feet, and continued to use and promote it to this day. The structure, resources, and especially the people of the HEMAA were invaluable to me, as to so many others. Now I would like the opportunity to serve, so I must talk about myself.

Sword Carolina is a full-time, dedicated HEMA school. We have had our own leased space on Main Street in Fountain Inn for nearly four years. I started by myself in a place that had never heard of our martial arts. Now our school has about 60 students, half local and half through our online doorway. We have promoted HEMA throughout our region in festivals, schools, community groups, and yes, even Renaissance Faires. I believe we have succeeded in not only growing our own numbers, but in raising the awareness and respectability of our art throughout our area.

We have had an even greater reach through our videos. I started our YouTube channel with Josh Lucas to create a resource that was a fairly detailed, yet easily-accessible place to start learning HEMA, at least Liechtenauer's art. We attempted to teach through a manuscript in a systematic and professional way, something that would be useful not only for us, but for the larger community. I did not know the reach it would have. Our training videos have been viewed over 200,000 times. We have received countless messages from people whom we helped get started in their own training. Many have even had their first exposure to HEMA through our videos. Some have had their lives changed, much as mine was years ago. We continue to provide free content on a regular basis to broaden the level of quality, positive information about our arts.

Another project Josh and I have worked on is Sword Carolina Online, an online portal to our school. More and more people are discovering HEMA, and this trend will continue. One of the biggest issues many of them face is finding a group to train with anywhere near them. And the usual advice of "start your own group" is another big challenge. SCO is our teaching system in video form. Nothing replaces physically training with a person, but I believe this is the next best thing. To date, we have 100 videos totaling 18 hours of information including videos from our local classes, in-depth study of basics and concepts, drills and exercises, and practical advice and thought process on leading or starting a group. We continue to provide teachings on a regular basis and are always looking for ways to make the resource even better. Our online members are our students, though many are running their own groups or are connected with other groups. As far as I know, we are currently the only HEMA school who offers this level of online training. And after seeing the amount of work involved, I'm not surprised.

I, and Sword Carolina, have been active in tournaments, though never as much as I would like if time and money were no object. We have competed in many events around the country and have already planned out the next couple we are going to. (Longpoint South!) Our school's goal has never been about winning tourneys, but about improving our art, with tourneys as an integral part of our training. That said, we have had three students atop podiums, and I have won a few medals myself. I was blessed to be able to teach classes at last year's IGX and SoCal events. We also run our own annual tournament: Study in Steel. Though terrified about hosting, I took Ben Michels's advice and started the event. We have two under our belt now and love doing it. It has been a great experience for us and I believe for the participants as well. You are welcome to come to it next year. We will also be working with Ben Strickling, Keith cotter-Riley, and other leaders in our region as we look at the formation of the South East League in the future.

My platform:

I have several things that I am excited about working on. I think they would be worthwhile projects for the HEMAA, and will promote them on the GC if elected. Yet, I would rather see the HEMAA complete two or three important, helpful projects for our community, than start seven or ten and fail to complete them. So, if elected, I pledge to work my best on whatever project or goal the HEMAA decides to run with.

Youth. I want to create more resources for young people. I work with kids 10 and up and find them to be great students. I would like to champion more opportunities for youth, and there are several avenues we could take in this regard. Why encourage kids to practice HEMA? Think about how good you are at your art right now....Now think how good you would be if you started when you were 12.
One way is to promote school groups. I believe HEMA practice is an excellent fit for middle school, high school, and college. Clemson Longsword is a good example of this, and I am proud to have had a hand in helping them get started. It could be in the form of a student-led program, an after-school program, or a school-sponsored team. I can see interschool competitions or leagues forming as well. Training could be focused solely on the martial art, or be a combination of history and physicality, as has worked for me in teaching homeschool groups. There are many different ways this could work, and much will depend on the schools involved. The HEMAA can provide best practices for running a group safely and productively, resources for current HEMA instructors to begin working with schools, syllabi as guidelines for school groups starting themselves, and credibility and professionalism that PTA groups and school boards can look to when considering approving or funding a program.
Another is the promotion of Youth tournaments. I applaud the Washington DC HEMA Open for including youth and teen competition, and I plan on hosting a youth tournament myself. I believe that this is something the HEMAA can encourage, whether by promoting the addition of youth tournaments to existing events or the creation of new events just for young men and women.

Exchange. The sharing of information within the HEMAA is incredible, but nothing replaces physically working with someone. And many of the best teachers are only available within their own groups or within tight schedule constraints at a HEMA event. I, with Josh, have traveled to other groups to teach and cross-train in person, but so far only within our region. I believe that an excellent project would be to create an exchange program between HEMAA groups. It would deepen the connectivity of our community and could raise the overall skill level in our arts. Schools could exchange students, but even better may be to exchange instructors. There are many instructors who know things I do not and could teach them to my students. We all could say the same. The HEMAA could provide a network of instructors and groups willing to exchange or host. It could also help with the main hurdle for most people, funding, whether through nominal fees collected from participating parties or by providing a percentage of travel costs. This could be as simple as two groups trading instructors for a week. It could also be a pool of available people and groups with the exchange decided by scheduling and the draw, as in "Yeah, we got Edelson!" or "Oh no, we got Edelson!" just as an example. ;)

Perception. Finally, I believe that we can help create a positive, accurate image on who we are and what HEMA is. As more and more people hear about HEMA, there are more opportunities for people to get the wrong impression or to confuse us with something else. Not that there is only one way to describe HEMA, but there are definitely some definitions that would be false. Instead of pointing out the things that we aren't, which draws more intention to them, we can instead promote what we are. This could be through advertising, through a planned social media campaign, or through the broadcasting of content created by HEMAA members that best exemplifies what we do. I do not mean to imply that this is not currently being done by many of you, but I believe that we can do more. HEMA is a great, passionate community, and how we define it now, and how well and clearly we define it, will have a huge effect on what the HEMA Alliance and HEMA in general will be in the future.

Please consider me for the Governing Council. Whether elected or not, I will continue to do my best to promote HEMA. But I would love the opportunity to serve and pool my efforts with other leaders in the GC.

Thanks,
Aaron Shober

Return to “Announcements & Events”