Having trouble registering for the forum?

HEMA Alliance news, as well as upcoming and past events.
John Harmston
Site Admin

Having trouble registering for the forum?

Postby John Harmston » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:48 am

Because of the huge volume of spambots that regularly attempt to use our forums, we currently use system whereby an admin receives a system email whenever a new registrant applies. Based on the user name, along with the email address, the admin then tries to figure out if the registrant is a real person.

Per the forum rules, "In order to help foster civility and camaraderie, please register with and use your real name. Accounts using fictional screen names will be deleted."

If you register for the forum but your account is not activated in a timely manner, it is likely because you did not use your real full name and the admin either rejected your user name or, more likely, could not tell you were a real person.

Happy posting! :D
John Harmston
Senior Instructor - True Edge Academy
HEMA Alliance Forum Admin
Lifetime Member, HEMA Alliance

John Harmston
Site Admin

Re: Having trouble registering for the forum?

Postby John Harmston » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Just a quick reminder to lurkers on the forum. If you have previously registered, but yet to have your account activated, please contact the admin team via the registration email you received or via adminteam (at) hemaalliance (dot) com.

We have never intentionally denied a real person an account, but occasionally miss real people among the thousands of spammers who apply.

Thanks.
John Harmston

Craig Shackleton
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Craig Shackleton » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:27 am

I was just speaking to a friend who never got added to the forum, probably because of using a pseudonym. I've encourage her to email the adminteam, but I was also thinking it would be valuable to include the gist of this thread in the automatic email explaining that their account is on hold, so that if they don't hear back after a specific period of time, they know that they should email verifying that they are a real human who wants an account. There isn't any indication in the autoreply that this can happen.

Specifically, we might want to let them know there that use of a pseudonym will automatically dismiss their application. I know that information is in the application process, but I know that people miss it here and on other forums with similar rules.

Thanks!

Lee S
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Lee S » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:39 am

Hey John,

My student Steve still cannot get in as well.

He tried his PW... and it failed. Also he tried a PW recovery, and this also did not work.

Thank you for looking into all of this and trying to get it to work,

Cheers,

Lee
Lee S. Smith
Principal Instructor, Blood and Iron Martial Arts

http://www.bloodandiron.ca

John Harmston
Site Admin

Postby John Harmston » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Lee, check you Facebook inbox. This should be fixed.
John Harmston

John Harmston
Site Admin

Account housekeeping

Postby John Harmston » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:45 am

I have quick request for everyone. Please take a minute today to review your user profile and update it as needed.

To do this, click on the “User Control Panel” link near the top left of the forum. From there, select the “Profile” tab to make edits.

Here are some recommendations:

- Add a location, even if it is just your state or country.
    - In your “Signature” feel free to add your club name and/or HEMA Alliance affiliation.
    - IF you add a photo to your “Signature” line, please do not use a large photo. This can clutter the boards, especially on threads where you are a frequent contributor.
    - In your “Avatar” might I suggest considering using a photo of yourself? This helps everyone get to know each other better, and is particularly helpful at events where you can instantly recognize people without the need for name tags.
    - Remember that if you wish to make another forum member “invisible” to you, go to the Friends & Foes tab and add the person to your “Manage Foes” tab. You cannot add mods to your “foes”.
    - The forum rules dictate using your real name for your username. If your username is currently wrong or incomplete, just board mail me with your desired username and I will manually update it.

Thanks!
John Harmston

Scott Brown

Postby Scott Brown » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Is there some way, other than to "always log-in", to get my password to work the first time? Every time I've tried to log on to the forum since May I've not been able to. I enter my password correctly and still get the "invalid password" page and then have to do that annoying visual thingy. Even doing that it doesn't work so I give up.

I've updated my browsers and not sure what else I can do on my end.

Whatever the case, I'd prefer to never have to see that visual thing and just want the site to work when I enter my password. I'm not having this problem on any other forums, for the record. Any thoughts?

Scott

Michael-Forest
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Michael-Forest » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 pm

That's what happens to me when I forget to allow cookies for a site. Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer.

What browser are you using?
Michael-Forest Meservy
Noble Science Academy
HEMA Alliance

Scott Brown

Postby Scott Brown » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:10 am

Doesn't seem to matter whether it's Firefox or IE.

Return to “Announcements & Events”