First Practice with Kron

For internal business and projects of Kron Martial Arts. Non-Kron users are welcome to post relevant material.
william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

First Practice with Kron

Postby william_cain_iii » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 pm

So! I drove down today from Apple Valley into Fullerton to see what this MSC thing was all about.

Met some great people, had some great sparring.

I won't go into my usual omnibus style post, I just want to say that everyone at the MSC meetup was awesome and friendly, and that I had a lot of good matches. I learned a few things, taught a couple things, and I enjoyed myself entirely. I even got to show off a couple things from Wallerstein that Ben Strickling taught me, that Jason seemed quite pleased with. Everyone got a great laugh out of "So you want to rob a peasant..."

Was my first time really sparring with the new Rawlings Synthetics. They were unusual. I admit I'm a bit spoiled having already moved into training with steel, but I understand these kinds of swords are more campus-friendly. I will definitely see about picking up my own at some point.

The big difference is that they're so bendy that the hits I did take didn't hurt so much (except the pinky shot, OW) compared to fighting with paddeds and steel. Once I get my Jessica Finley wrestling jacket, I think I'll basically be immune (I jest)!

All in all, I'm really happy with everything so far. I dunno if I can make it every week, but I think every other week or so is not outside the realm of reason.

Thanks for the fun practice, Jason and everyone! I'm looking forward to being a member of KMA.
Do right, there is nothing else.
myself

Jason Taylor

Re: First Practice with Kron

Postby Jason Taylor » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks for the kind words, William. We had a great time having you at practice, so I hope you can make it out as often as your time and gas money permit. It was great to learn and share with someone who's recently been in regular training with another group;the perspective it offers is invaluable.

Thanks for that sweet Codex W. technique, and for reminding me about that great peasant-robbing page in Wallerstein, as well. I'd forgotten that one even existed.

When work time permits, I'm going to start leafing through the copy of LOTEL that you lent me. Much appreciated!

Talk to you soon,

Jason
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:46 am

A bit of a followup, had my second practice with KMA. I am now an official, paid member of KMA! Feels good to be an official member of a group again.

We did a lot this time, met some new people with a lot of perspectives. Everyone has good attitudes, fought with enthusiasm in the ring of death we arranged, and there were some very creative drills we got into.

Again I'll be avoiding my oversized post style for the moment, I mostly just wanted to bring up how nice it is to be a part of a larger group. The backyard, small-group club I was part of in Goldsboro was amazing and I will always speak highly of the guys in GSG, but having a wider variety of partners with more varied skill levels allows me to really see where I stand in the bigger picture of things. I can teach and help some, and I have plenty of people to teach and help me. This is a step further along for me, and I will be very happy training here, I can tell.
myself

Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Myles Cupp » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:51 am

One thing in addition to what William said that, I think, makes our group unique is its active presence on a major university campus.
I've never had a backyard martial arts experience, except through the drills I've been doing with my younger brother since my Rawlings showed up, but being on a university campus lends our art more credibility by default and as long as we have active leaders we will always have a constant influx of new members as other members graduate or move away.

Of course the downside is that with new members there need to be experienced leaders to teach them stuff so they don't get bored which can possibly take away from studying more advanced material.
Jason had quite a time bouncing back and forth between one beginner group doing longsword (two members of that group I drafted from the sport fencing club that night) and another group working on staff.

Here is hoping I gain enough proficiency to lead in real instruction someday!

Oh and William is an excellent sparrer but elbow pads is now on my list of safety gear to acquire! Good thing I had my fencing jacket with me.
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Psalm 119:89
"For we all acknowledge that it is with the sword that Kingdoms are protected, Religions are defended, injuries are avenged and Nations achieve peace and happiness."
Salvator Fabris, 1606

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:38 am

Some good elbow padding doesn't go amiss. It doesn't even have to be hard-plate protection although that is up to you. My soft-pad ones do enough to deflect hits that I haven't taken a serious hurt from an elbow strike even with steel.

I will be investing in a Finley jacket though, I'm a bit chagrined at how red that wound looks this morning.
myself

Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Myles Cupp » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:51 pm

It will probably come down to availability, price, but most importantly what I can strap around the outside of my fencing jacket while still retaining mobility. Even with how I was fighting last night I still wasn't completely used to moving that way in my fencing jacket. Falcon is a difficult guard to go into and zwerchau is a difficult attack to execute.

Still I am grateful I wore that jacket. By the way I heated and iced down my elbow then took some ibuprofen. My elbow doesn't feel amiss doing any of my daily routines but it definitely aches to try to zornhau and extend to longpoint. I think I'll skip exercising today and quite possibly practice tomorrow in order to not over-exert myself. Indeed, yesterday I had a good 5 straight hours of fencing, 2 and 1/2 of sport and 2 of longsword!
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Psalm 119:89
"For we all acknowledge that it is with the sword that Kingdoms are protected, Religions are defended, injuries are avenged and Nations achieve peace and happiness."
Salvator Fabris, 1606

Jason Taylor

Postby Jason Taylor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:14 am

MylesC wrote: we will always have a constant influx of new members as other members graduate or move away.

No. No one leaves. Ever. :)

In al seriousness, though, Wednesday was one of our best practices to date. Everyone seemed to have a good time, and even though it was a bit hectic flying from group to group, it was all well worth it. I was also glad to welcome Dylan Asbury to our meeting, and he r brought with him great energy and great attitude. I'm personally very proud that we've managed to create a club here in OC that can be a training group for people moving into our area from elsewhere in the country. And everyone who comes in just strengthens us with their background and perspective. Glad your all here, old and new members alike, and I'm looking forward to seeing you all next week!

Jason
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:23 pm

Question Jason.

When I got there, a buncha guys were just standing around talking instead of stretching and working out.

If I get there early and people are just standing about, do I have permission to bully them into warming up with some drills?
myself

Jonathan Mayshar

Postby Jonathan Mayshar » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:19 pm

william_cain_iii wrote:Question Jason.

When I got there, a buncha guys were just standing around talking instead of stretching and working out.

If I get there early and people are just standing about, do I have permission to bully them into warming up with some drills?

I'm ambivalent about non-martial warm-ups, especially once the clock has started on a practice time, but I'm all for "bullying" members not to stand around. We should start to compile a list of drills that most members know and that any member who does know can teach and lead. This should include ringen drills, not just for the sake of ringen (as important as it is), but because we sometimes are short loaner weapons at the beginnings of practices.

But if you think you can get me to do jumping jacks, you're welcome to try. ;-)

Jonathan
Jonathan Mayshar
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:48 pm

I said drills!

It specifically said warm up with drills.

Non martial drills are boring. Few quick minutes of stretching and I'm good. I practice the other stuff on my own.
myself

Return to “Kron Martial Arts”