Branching out to nearby colleges

For internal business and projects of Kron Martial Arts. Non-Kron users are welcome to post relevant material.
Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Branching out to nearby colleges

Postby Myles Cupp » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:56 pm

I am excited about expanding KMA and the HEMA Alliance as a whole. I am curious if it is in the best interests of KMA to branch itself out to nearby colleges like Fullerton College. And by branching out, I mean setting up a booth during one of their club rushes or festival for diversity days. I can get in touch with the student government there to help facilitate the clearance for a booth (I was a senator in the student government before my transfer).

Obviously its a little late in this semester to begin planning it for this year but I do want this thrown out there for next year's Spring Semester and beyond.
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Psalm 119:89
"For we all acknowledge that it is with the sword that Kingdoms are protected, Religions are defended, injuries are avenged and Nations achieve peace and happiness."
Salvator Fabris, 1606

Jonathan Mayshar

Re: Branching out to nearby colleges

Postby Jonathan Mayshar » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Actually, Jason and I do want to start branching to other schools this year, and we'll use any "in" we have in the club to do it.

Here are some ideas for recruiting/introducing that we've discussed:

theater majors / stage-combat -- we have plans to choreograph the Mercutio/Tybalt fight with bucklers
martial arts & fencing clubs -- this is tricky because there's a lot of competitive ego involved
medieval history departments
anime clubs
computer science / game design classes and clubs -- we have a secret weapon, as one of our members is a major artist for Blizzard (but lets not out him here and have 50 people asking him to get them an interview)
Jonathan Mayshar
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Myles Cupp » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:05 pm

Those are indeed excellent ideas.

The Festival of Diversity days at FJC are particularly good for showcasing our art as it is possible to arrange demonstrations and performances as part of the activities. People have done cultural dances, musical performances and so on, but I can almost guarantee that nobody has ever done a martial arts demonstration.
Indeed, it would be the perfect opportunity to show up in somewhat period costume without being subject to accusations of LARPing.

Also, the FJC Theatre Arts Dept. is recognized as one of the best in the state and every Fall they put on a Shakespeare production.

Finally, the I'm somewhat connected to the History Dept. there as well and they have excellent conference rooms for talks. We could get really academic there!
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Psalm 119:89
"For we all acknowledge that it is with the sword that Kingdoms are protected, Religions are defended, injuries are avenged and Nations achieve peace and happiness."
Salvator Fabris, 1606

Jason Taylor

Postby Jason Taylor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:47 am

All good ideas. What I really hope to have eventually is a network of KMA chapters, little MSCs, budding up all over the countryside and operating in a self-sustained fashion, so that when we put out a call for a tournament, we have tons of individual clubs showing up. That'd really be a fun event.

Jason
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:11 am

I have a school near me, the Victor Valley College.

I would be eager to start an MSC chapter here at VVC!
Do right, there is nothing else.
myself

Return to “Kron Martial Arts”