Messer Study Group

For internal business and projects of Kron Martial Arts. Non-Kron users are welcome to post relevant material.
Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Messer Study Group

Postby Myles Cupp » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:02 am

This is a thread on our Kron Martial Arts study of the messer. I am making it so that we can get some initiative going on studying this interesting and downright deadly unarmored peasant weapon.
As of this moment I currently have no recommended resources or equipment for studying this weapon or anyone else interested in studying it with me (except my brother).

So, this thread is also an advertisement for other volunteers to study it with me.

And before anyone rushes out and buys a messer, let us wait to hear from Jonathan in this thread about his work on creating the messer boffer kits. At this moment I know things are hectic and busy, especially with the CSUF PL coming up.

Until next time,

"Here they fight with the Messer. God help them."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWISsk0c ... re=related
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Psalm 119:89
"For we all acknowledge that it is with the sword that Kingdoms are protected, Religions are defended, injuries are avenged and Nations achieve peace and happiness."
Salvator Fabris, 1606

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Messer Study Group

Postby william_cain_iii » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:07 am

I have a copy of In Saint George's Name, which is Christian Tobler's interpretation of a variety of sources. One of these is a short treatise on messer combat that serves as a good overview. I'll bring the book with me, and if the messer boffers are there, you and I can work through that chapter, if you would like.

Let me know what you think,

Regards,

William
Do right, there is nothing else.
myself

Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Myles Cupp » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:10 am

Sounds good to me. If Jonathan doesn't mind us using his boffers and he is there for us to use them then I would like to work on some basic messer play provided it doesn't take too much time away from working with my current primary weapon the longsword!
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Psalm 119:89
"For we all acknowledge that it is with the sword that Kingdoms are protected, Religions are defended, injuries are avenged and Nations achieve peace and happiness."
Salvator Fabris, 1606

RJ McKeehan
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby RJ McKeehan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:34 am

I like the idea of learning Messer since it's closest to my first uh... "weapon", the machete haha! Maybe we can study it since you live close.
RJ McKeehan
South Coast Swords, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

Jason Taylor

Postby Jason Taylor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm in on Messer, too. I've wanted to work with it for a long time, so I'm excited we can get started on it.
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle

Dylan Asbury

Postby Dylan Asbury » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:15 pm

I know that I live close-ish to Miles. And I don't even have to spell out my interest in the weapon. If you want me in, Just drop me a line as my computer is back in working order and I can check it regularly!

Jason Taylor

Postby Jason Taylor » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:11 am

As with all study groups, all are welcome!
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:21 am

Again, am not formally a part of this group. However, if anyone at any time wishes to look over In St. George's Name for the Paulus Kal messer material I covered in my mini-lecture, please let me know.

For now, I recommend practicing the first play I spoke of, being in a low close guard (similar to nebunhut), and cutting upward toward a descending cut. Remember that your target is his wrists. After practicing this a few times, change the game - perhaps he sees your rising cut and corrects, striking down with his blade on yours. The blades are now crossed, what do you do?

Let me know what steps you guys add to the drill, perhaps we can build a solo flourysh cooperatively.
myself

Jonathan Mayshar

Postby Jonathan Mayshar » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 am

This all sounds great, but I need to repeat for posterity that the *only* good points about the messer-boffers are that, 1) they are relatively safe for unprotected fast play, and 2) they are crazy-cheap at $10 for a "kit."

We originally bought the boffers for the youth program to work on timing and distance with a safer experience of fighting at speed. They were much better as tools than we expected and the value to adults was a nice bonus, but if you guys want to get into messer manuals you'll need a real trainer.

So the question is, what is the highest price that you (everyone in the study group) will pay for a messer blunt or waster *after* the expense of a mask and gloves, which you must have because messerplay is *fast*. If I get a number that sounds possible I will activate the Kron giant shopping robot and see what we can do.
Jonathan Mayshar
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:26 pm

I've got enough large equipment purchases that I really can't justify getting another weapon trainer other than a single-hand sword so I can participate in the S&B group.

...just out of curiosity, would the viking synthetic on Purpleheart be acceptable, or should I get something more arming-swordy?
myself

Return to “Kron Martial Arts”