Pumpkin Launch: After Action Report (Split from original)

For internal business and projects of Kron Martial Arts. Non-Kron users are welcome to post relevant material.
Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Pumpkin Launch: After Action Report (Split from original)

Postby Myles Cupp » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Wanted to be the first responder after the Pumpkin Launch to give an AAR.

Initial assessment? Great success given the sporadic downpouring of rain. Lots of positive exposure for the club I believe. I'll possibly come back later with more reactions on my part but I am glad we were able to make this happen!
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Psalm 119:89
"For we all acknowledge that it is with the sword that Kingdoms are protected, Religions are defended, injuries are avenged and Nations achieve peace and happiness."
Salvator Fabris, 1606

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: 2010 Pumpkin Launch: Tasks and Priorities

Postby william_cain_iii » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Similar thoughts to yours, Myles. My main reaction was that the event was largely positive for us, particularly in the swordscholar department. Everyone also fought very well in the freebouting demonstration, and I think people were interested to see it performed in a contested setting as well as the drills.
Do right, there is nothing else.
myself

Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Myles Cupp » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:58 pm

The other thing too I noticed as a point of fact is how interested people were in being able to actually touch our stuff and handle it and see that you don't necessarily need a lot of equipment or costuming to become a part of HEMA.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still a guy who wants poofy pants to spar in when not viewed by the public in a format where poofy pants wouldn't be misunderstood; nevertheless, I still think the folks liked how we were in normal clothes but still semi-uniformed with our t-shirts and pants.

Indeed, when I was walking back from my car after the first trip and I saw everyone walking back from their cars, from far away you could clearly tell that we were all together, all black with gold letting across our shirts and looking very bad ass from a distance.

So one thing I learned is that Kron T-shirts should be strongly recommended and endorsed for our group to wear at regular practice. I will probably buy the ones me and my bro wore today.

It was certainly interesting to observe the comparing and contrasting the crowd was making with our group versus the Adrian Empire group. Maybe I am biased (no, definitely biased) but certainly people liked seeing the grappling techniques and the fancier (but nevertheless lethal) moves of longsword versus the armored combat.
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
"For we all acknowledge that it is with the sword that Kingdoms are protected, Religions are defended, injuries are avenged and Nations achieve peace and happiness."
Salvator Fabris, 1606

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:45 am

Can't disagree, the uniform look, even if it was just dark pants and a tshirt, gave a certain cohesion to things. People instinctively seemed to feel reassured by the uniforms somehow.

What really pleased me is how solidly we hit our goal of letting people know we're a legitimate martial art worth studying.

Case in point, this one mother stopped by the table just before the freebouting, and asked us if we teach about 'honor and respect, like karate?' I commented that we did indeed, that control and respect are the first serious lessons we teach. She was thrilled and wanted to sign her son up for Swordscholar, and I think she's one of the few names we got written down before the rain destroyed our ability to do that.

Would we have gotten that result if we were dressed up like the AE folks? I don't believe we would. People seemed to recognize the difference. The AE folks are a re-enactment society for a particular kind of people. I'm very sure people were interested in it, and rightly so. Hell, -I'm- interested in it to a certain extent, but that's the gamer in me. But the image we gave off is an accessible, campus-oriented martial art that young people can get involved in, that's governed by instructors who can be trusted to organize and lead a class. The fact that Jason was able to round up 20 people and get them doing an attack/parry/counterattack exchange without protective gear or killing eachother probably did us a lot of credit in the 'oh, these guys know what they're doing' department.
myself

Jonathan Mayshar

Re: Pumpkin Launch 201: After Action Report (Split from oroginal

Postby Jonathan Mayshar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:23 am

Well, while you guys were all having fun and kicking @ss, yours truly had to baby-sit.

OK, that's not really fair. I was with the Swordscholar class in Irvine, and some of them are actually quite good students. Because it was the last day of the session we devoted most of the time to sparring. They all had to fight me first (with one of our best students leading the judging), and to demonstrate their control in order to be allowed to spar each other. For the first time there was no one I needed to restrict from sparring another young student.

In the next rounds of sparring the kids got to choose their opponents, and I was pleased to see that the one girl in our class was chosen to fight twice, clearly because she is formidable and aggressive in the bind rather than being an easy target. We even had a few good ringen am schwert moments.

Speaking of uniforms, for the first time I did not wear any of my club T-shirts to a Swordscholar class. I wore a dagged and brass-studded tunic under a sleeveless leather coat of plates. I told the kids that Mr. Taylor was at a medieval festival that I was missing, but that next time we would make a field trip of it. Whatever uniform arguments we have for HEMA overall, the kids were clearly interested in my outfit and several asked if they could get something similar. The boys even responded positively to my belt-pouch without the word "purse" coming up. I told them that the uniform we were working on for the club would be much simpler is design, but that they were welcome to wear full-on medieval garb when we visit fairs and for certain special events.

And if any rain got on my swords that you guys had at the demo someone better be doing a good oil rub right now...
Jonathan Mayshar
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:33 am

In my defense for not helping with the swords after the event, I had 70 miles to drive right after it ended and am nowhere near your swords.

;)
myself

RJ McKeehan
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby RJ McKeehan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:38 pm

We made sure to wipe all water off of the swords and I assume Jason oiled them... but in any case I totally agree with what Will said. While we barely got any names or emails because of the rain, we overwhelmingly succeeded in showing that what we do is a real martial art. The large group that got to learn some stuff also seemed to have a great time, and the fact that they all had a sword to use probably made it extra enjoyable for them. So while we probably didn't get any new members out of it, the PR of the event was momentous for both our club by itself and HEMA as a whole.

On a side note I've been basically away from my computer since the event, but as I type this I"m downloaing the pictures I took, which I'll edit and post on my own website and if anyone asks I can make a .zip of the originals in jpeg form. (I take them as 15 MB RAW files, which are awesome for quality and editing, but basically impossible to host online).

Expect pictures from me later tonight in this thread (unless I should post a new thread elsewhere like the Off Topic forum or something).
RJ McKeehan
South Coast Swords, Orange County, CA

Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Myles Cupp » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:01 pm

I'd like those pictures of course as a compressed zip in .jpeg format. I'll let you go about it at your own pace but I am excited to see them.
I'll PM you my email address.
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Salvator Fabris, 1606

RJ McKeehan
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby RJ McKeehan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Alright without further ado here they are!

To see all of these in the highest resolution possible for your monitor (including in slideshow form) check them out at my website- http://rjmckeehanphoto.com/pumpkinlaunchkron
While you're there look around and check out some of my other stuff. I always love comments/criticism!

Child playing with a sword and buckler.

Adrian Empire Armor

Class being taught

Our Booth

Organized Chaos

The "Knights" battling

People checking out our gear and John teaching them

Ghost!

John defending with Kron!

What a thrust! (Jason does not look amused.)

Overview of everyone
RJ McKeehan
South Coast Swords, Orange County, CA

Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Myles Cupp » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:45 pm

I am dying to see the pictures as they go up, and they look utterly amazing so far.
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Salvator Fabris, 1606

Return to “Kron Martial Arts”