The KMA Equipment Sources Thread

For internal business and projects of Kron Martial Arts. Non-Kron users are welcome to post relevant material.
william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

The KMA Equipment Sources Thread

Postby william_cain_iii » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:24 pm

Alright, this thread is going to cover a number of sources and models of equipment that I've found throughout my brief time in this hobby. I ask that people contribute regularly with items they come up with, and I will add them to the list as time goes on.

Consult the list fairly regularly, as I intend to update it periodically. I hope it helps get some info together for folks.
Do right, there is nothing else.
myself

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: The KMA Equipment Sources Thread

Steel Swords - Blunts and Foils

Tinker Pearce Blunt Trainer Longsword - This is, I feel, an excellent beginning level steel trainer, for reasons I cover in my recent Audacity post. It's a light, responsive sword that does a lot to teach people good control of their weapon. Excellent for controlled drilling and sparring if leather-tipped properly. Currently $150 on Kult of Athena.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2395

Hanwei Federschwert Practice Sword
- The second generation of the Feder model, this is also a good weapon. Better suited for sparring than the Tinker due to safety features put into it, it suffers a bit when teaching drilling or bind work because of the odd construction. Useful for any club to have a pair of, but I'd hold off on purchasing it as a personal trainer if you can afford the Tinker. Currently $112 on Kult of Athena.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2333

I'll include other models such as the Ensifers (which I adore) later. For now I think the club should focus on these because they're reasonably affordable steel trainers and about half the price of an Ensifer.
Last edited by william_cain_iii on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
myself

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Wasters - Practice Swords

Note, I will do this section by company, given the sheer number of models available.

Purple Heart Armory - These guys make reasonably affordable training gear. We're all familiar with the Rawlings Synthetics sold through Purpleheart, but they also do an outstanding line of wooden wasters. Consider them the next time you have some training needs, they really are a good company. The community may have moved past the wooden sword for most of our needs, but they're still valuable for a number of applications such as pell work. Price of their longsword waster baselines at $70, so they're on the affordable side of the wooden sword market. Also, their longsword type 2 plastic waster sounds like it would be a very durable pell and drilling sword, albeit a bit stiff for fencing practice.

http://www.woodenswords.com/WMA/index.htm

Raven Studios - I can't say enough good about these guys. Great customer service, quick responses and regular updates. I adore my longsword waster they made me, and if it ever breaks I will seriously consider ordering its replacement from the Raven. On the other hand, since these are hand-made, they take about six weeks to arrive from the time you place an order. Great weapons, but be aware of the cost and time lag. My longsword cost $117 after shipping. Like PHA, they make a variety of weapons.

http://www.little-raven.com/RS/MA/western.html

New Stirling Arms - These guys are interesting. Their weapons are made specifically for sparring, having catered strongly to the ARMA 'get thee a waster' movement. They have some excellent weapons, and their gear is all very well balanced. I've handled their hand and a half and ARMA-specific sidesword, and I adored them. However, they strike me as a bit less durable than a PHA or RS waster, so bear that in mind before you order. Generally baselines around $90 and goes up from there.

http://www.newstirlingarms.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=1

Cold Steel - Don't bother. Their balance is poor, they're uncomfortable to use, and their blades are short for what we intend to do. There are two things that might make them worth the investment. First, they're cheap, so there isn't much risk in getting one, or in loaning it to a newcomer who might somehow manage to urinate, bleed, and vomit on it. Second, they are incredibly durable, so they actually make a decent choice for a pell-specific weapon. In short, these are cheap swords to pick up a few extra of so we have something to hand interested parties at low cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Training-Polypropylene-Handle/dp/B001Q72ARC/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1290829506&sr=8-21

My recommendation overall? Purpleheart.
Last edited by william_cain_iii on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
myself

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Dagger Simulators

to be continued
Last edited by william_cain_iii on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myself

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Protective Equipment

to be continued
myself

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:47 pm

Unusual Equipment - Dussacks, etc

to be continued
myself

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Rapiers and Sideswords

This section really merits its own portion, set aside from longswords.

to be continued
myself

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Polearms - staves, halberds, et al

to be continued
myself

Return to “Kron Martial Arts”