Concerning Protective Hand Gear

For internal business and projects of Kron Martial Arts. Non-Kron users are welcome to post relevant material.
Justin_Beck

Concerning Protective Hand Gear

Postby Justin_Beck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:31 pm

After reading through the club issues on budget considerations, and the thoughts that each frequent member should look into acquiring their own gear, I've been exploring options for hand protection. If I understand correctly, the popular choice for protection for sparing and such are lacrosse gloves. Though other options were presented on the forum http://hemaalliance.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=428 I didn't feel any concrete decision for alternates had been determined. With little experience with protective gear, I feel I should ask what should I be looking for in terms of hand protection? Would any lacrosse glove do the trick or are there certain key points I should look out for?

Also in my early exploration of Lacrosse Gloves, I found this sight has a variety of gloves put on clearance with some gloves marked originally at $120, cut down to $40 http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/warrior-gloves.html (More gloves are present than on that page, that set are just from the Warrior brand, there are more brands to choose from) Though as I said, not sure what I should be looking for in these gloves, sooooo any advice on if these are good deals or not can be helpful.

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Concerning Protective Hand Gear

Postby william_cain_iii » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:49 pm

I use lacrosse gloves and have found nothing particularly wrong with them. They aren't great, they hinder technique some and can be tiring on the hands. However for the entry level they aren't a bad option because hands are very vulnerable, and the padding is thick enough to prevent a break in a lot of cases. I use Brine Rogues, and I'm entirely happy with them.
Do right, there is nothing else.
myself

Jake Norwood

Postby Jake Norwood » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Our club has some of the Warriors. They're pretty good. Better than many.

You're looking for stiff foam and a plastic or carbon insert (usually under the leather or vinyl) over the top of each padded cell. Padding on the outside of the index finger (and outside of the pinky) are big plusses. You want as rigid protection as possible on the bone that runs from the thumb to the wrist. You want to avoid big gaps in the padding, especially on the fingers. The Brine Supercrosse were legendary for having a sort of lobster-style overlapping plates which closed off all the gaps. Sadly, those aren't made anymore, though you can find some Brine gloves with thumbs like that.

A pair of Warriors for $40 is a pretty good deal. Of the two $40 models on that link, I'd go with the Hypno 2 (just based on the picture...this is not official medical advice here, okay?).

Jake
Jake Norwood
Capital KDF
xKDF Network
YouTube Channel: DerAltenFechter

Brian Frick
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Brian Frick » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Monkey Sports is right off at the corner of the 5 and 55, next to the REI. I'm picky about my equipment, so I say go and try on a bunch of gloves before you decide what feels most comfortable. My problem was just finding a glove that didn't scratch the hell out of the top of my thumb. The only thing is that they keep all the clearance stuff at the warehouse, so you can't try it on, and clearance items can't be returned.

Curt Dunham
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Curt Dunham » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:01 am

I still really like Chivalry Bookshelf/Revival's KEVLAR-Reinforced Light Sparring Gloves for $79.
Curt Dunham
Meyer Freifechter Guild-South Florida
Don't mess with old men. They didn't get to be old by being stupid.

Tim Hall

Postby Tim Hall » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:03 am

I have the Revival Kevlar Reinforced gloves and while they work great for fencing with shinai and doing drills or slow work with other simulators, I wouldn't trust them to protect my hands while fencing with steel(the only exception being the hanwei federscherts) or synthetics. There is no hard knuckle protection, no padding under the kevlar, gaps in protection at the wrist and other areas, and no protection on the sides or tips of the finger and thumb. A friend of mine almost lost his finger(unfortuantely thats not an exaggeration) while wearing their Light Sparring Gloves and as far as I can tell the only difference in finger protection in the two is a small foam insert.

*Edit- I hope this doesn't come off as me ranting. If so sorry! :D

Justin_Beck

Postby Justin_Beck » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:50 am

Awesome, thanks for the input everyone. I will take into account of going out and trying on gloves before making a decision to buy. I'll probably go out and look around a bit, find a local area that sells gloves and work my way up, ordering online as a last resort.

Thanks again for the info.

Return to “Kron Martial Arts”