Fechtschule America Houston

For internal business and projects of Kron Martial Arts. Non-Kron users are welcome to post relevant material.
Jason Taylor

Fechtschule America Houston

Postby Jason Taylor » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Get out your piggy banks. Fechtschule America is coming again for March 25-27 I can't recommend this event highly enough. I've been to a lot of HEMA events and even more mainstream martial arts events, and this was hands-down the single best experience of them all.

Essentially, you're going for three days of constant training, fighting, tournaments, and camaraderie with some of the best HEMA practitioners in the world. If you want to be serious about HEMA, then you should make it to this event whatever it takes.

Jonathan and I will definitely be there, and we'd love to have some more of you guys come along. There are few things in life more awesome than a giant martial arts conference. There's no requirement for skill levels, and even when the tournaments are going on, there's lots of stuff to do (some classes are usually scheduled then) so you don't have to participate in the tournament if you don't want to (though you are very welcome to do so--there's no limit there, either). I expect the tournaments to be free with your overall registration, since they were last year.

Registration right now is $175, a price that will hold until February 25. After that it jumps to $250, so registering early does save you significant money. Plane flights on Southwest are likewise best purchased early, and they're fairly inexpensive, plus bags are free.

Now, I know a lot of you are poor, so it won't be realistic for everyone. But even if you think that's the case for you, check your finances again, because you really don't want to miss this one if you can at all help it. The classes are usually two hours long, the teachers are generally extraordinary, and you learn so much that you can't possibly remember it all without taking home a big notebook. It's serious value for your money.

Okay, so that's my pitch. By my estimation, we've all got three months to save up if you want to go. I hope at least a few of you can manage to accompany us, because it's going to be a blast.

The website for the event is here: http://fechtschuleamerica.com/

Oh, and did I mention I'm teaching a class there, too? I said the instructors were excellent. :)

Jason
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle

Gareth

Re: Fechtschule America Houston

Postby Gareth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Sounds great! I'm definitely interested. Money is tight, so I'm not sure if it's an option, I guess we'll see in the following months. Few questions though, and I know they can't all necessarily be answered now, but I'll just toss them out for consideration.

Would we be going as Kron (rather than individual members of Kron) and need uniforms and the like?
Are the sparring equipment requirements different than what we require during practices?
Would we have some kind of shared transport for our travels (carpool, train, plane, etc.)?
Would it be possible to get discounts for hotel rooms if we go as a group?

Just a few questions and concerns. I'm sure more will follow as I think of them.
La parfaite valeur est de faire sans témoin ce qu'on serait capable de faire devant tout le monde.

Jason Taylor

Postby Jason Taylor » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:41 am

Gareth wrote:Sounds great! I'm definitely interested. Money is tight, so I'm not sure if it's an option, I guess we'll see in the following months. Few questions though, and I know they can't all necessarily be answered now, but I'll just toss them out for consideration.

Glad you're interested. I don't think you'd regret it if you could make it happen.

Would we be going as Kron (rather than individual members of Kron) and need uniforms and the like?

We'd being going as Kron, but also as individual members--i.e., we don't have to fly the colors all weekend long. Uniforms would be good to have, but we'd mainly need club shirts for one of the days, and then we'd probably wear the event shirt for another day. A third day could be whatever you have on hand, so it's not like you'd need multiple Kron shirts. The belts I was mentioning wouldn't be necessary, either. Or was there another aspect you were concerned about as regards uniforms?

Are the sparring equipment requirements different than what we require during practices?

For the sessions and training, any sparring seems to be pretty similar to the way we do it here--mask, gloves, cup minimum. There's not much sparring in the sessions, though. For informal sparring with people you meet, there aren't any requirements beyond ours.

For the tournament, there's a lot more protective gear required due to liability concerns. last year, they required cup, gloves, mask or helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, and some kind of protective coat like a gambeson or a coach's fencing jacket. Neither Jonathan nor I had a jacket last year, so we quick-changed Jake's spare. I don't know that you even want to fight in the tournament, but there it is in case you were interested.

Would we have some kind of shared transport for our travels (carpool, train, plane, etc.)?
Would it be possible to get discounts for hotel rooms if we go as a group?

We're not driving, because we looked it up back in 2007 for the ARMA IG and it was a 36-hour drive, meaning like three days to arrive there dead-tired. Plus it's a chunk out of school. Jonathan and I are going to fly Southwest, and he might have already booked a flight. We're going together, anyway, but you might be able to get the same flight. As far as accommodations, there's a discount price at the event hotel nearby, but I'm not sure on the price. Last year, though, we shared, and I'm sure we could share again, even with one more, if it brings the price down. (Full disclosure: I snore. I mean, I snore bad.)

Just a few questions and concerns. I'm sure more will follow as I think of them.

Keep 'em coming! I hope you can make make it happen.

Jason

Ryan O'Connell

Postby Ryan O'Connell » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:21 pm

I will see what I can do, I'd love to go.
"For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of
the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds." 2 Corinthians 10:3-4 ESV

RJ McKeehan
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby RJ McKeehan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:56 am

I'd want to check my schedule out once the syllabus's are in my possession but it could be a possibility. I'm definitely interested... Grouping up on at least hotel rooms would save us a lot.
RJ McKeehan
South Coast Swords, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

Jason Taylor

Postby Jason Taylor » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:21 am

Hotel grouping is helpful, definitely. Also, everyone there can, to some extent or other, share equipment. We will be staying i the event hotel--trust me, you want to be there. If you don't, then you miss yout on some of the most awesome training and conversational opportunities available in the world of HEMA.

Jason

Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Myles Cupp » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:09 am

It is oh so tempting to sign up now except for a few things holding me back.
First, my professors NEVER tell us when the exams are scheduled nor even give us a rough estimate of when things are due. The typical answer is usually "when we finish the material." So, I have no idea whether that weekend in March will fall right before an exam.
Second, I don't know when my math tutoring business will be back up and running again. I'd certainly have to save up... which is hard to do right now when I still need a decent pair of elbow pads, an athletic cup and lacrosse gloves.
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Psalm 119:89
"For we all acknowledge that it is with the sword that Kingdoms are protected, Religions are defended, injuries are avenged and Nations achieve peace and happiness."
Salvator Fabris, 1606

Return to “Kron Martial Arts”