Kron Painball/Airsoft day(s)?

For internal business and projects of Kron Martial Arts. Non-Kron users are welcome to post relevant material.

Would you want to have a lesson or several on gunfighting using paintball and/or airsoft guns?

Yes, but only with Airsoft.
45%
Yes, but only with paintball.
No votes
Yes, and format doesn't matter.
55%
No, Call of Duty taught me all I wanted to know about gunfighting.
No votes

Total votes: 11

Dylan Asbury

Kron Painball/Airsoft day(s)?

Postby Dylan Asbury » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Gauging interest here, folks.

It's something I've talked about a little, kind of as a joke, but I know a lot of you in Kron fiddle with Airsoft/Paintball and many of us have an interest in modern battle tactics. Now, In the proper HEMA tradition of re-creating from the manuals, I have an (admittedly a little dated) infantry squad/platoon manual from just before the War on Terror started. I have also recieved a little military training on squad and platoon battle tactics in urban and woodland environments. All this in addition to all the supplementary reading and brain-picking I've done from living on bases around combat soldiers for a good portion of my life. I said all that to say this: I could happily play an instructor-type role and teach some classes on gunfighting and be confident that I would be giving you decent information. Granted be, I'm only a private first class; so I'm not up on cutting-edge type technique, but that gives us room to interpret around whatever gaps we find, which makes it fun :).

Now, question is: Airsoft or Paintball? I've done both and as a general rule, Airsoft guns are cheaper, easier to use and obtain, paintball guns are a great deal more realistic.

The only mandatory safety gear for either is eye protection; any kind of goggles.

Due to the limitations of the weapons, no matter which we may choose, the terrain and combat lessons would have to be urban warfare and room-clearing as the tools do not have the power to "spar" at ranges greater than what is essentially point-blank for real firearms.

Either way, I think it'd be a cool way to have a little fun and shake things up. Feel free to sound off on your personal feelings, and/or questions or concerns.

Jason Taylor

Re: Kron Painball/Airsoft day(s)?

Postby Jason Taylor » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Dude, I'm all over this. I have a paintball gun at home, but it sucks massive crap. So I could manage either, as long as I don't have to buy a super-expensive airsoft gun.

Are we talking about assault-rifle sized weapons or handguns?

Jason
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle

Dylan Asbury

Postby Dylan Asbury » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Well, my particular airsoft is a shameless splurge from Basic Training money so it's realistic-weighted and battery-powered full-auto capable. But I think the gun you want to use is up to you. if we agree on cheapest-possible format, my neighborhood on Fort Bragg used spring-action (kind of like bolt action but with a pistol slide) berettas and glocks purchased in korea. They're pretty good, as they don't slow the game much. Though, I gotta say, if you have the means to get a semi- or full auto weapon, it's a game-changer. Mine in particular is almost as viable as a paintball gun.

Myles Cupp
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Myles Cupp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:56 pm

I am definitely interested. I've played enough "combat make-believe" as a child to want to try something similar and more thoroughly grounded in real military tactics.
Lifetime HEMAA Member
Kron Martial Arts, CA
Psalm 119:89
"For we all acknowledge that it is with the sword that Kingdoms are protected, Religions are defended, injuries are avenged and Nations achieve peace and happiness."
Salvator Fabris, 1606

Sean C

Postby Sean C » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:51 pm

Seeing as I've joined Kron, and am soon to join the archery and kung fu clubs, what's another weapon to learn!? :D

RJ McKeehan
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby RJ McKeehan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm definitely up for something. I prefer airsoft but if I get overruled I'd probably do paintball just for fun.
RJ McKeehan
South Coast Swords, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

Jason Taylor

Postby Jason Taylor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:46 pm

If we went airsoft, which is the preferred weapon for room clearing? Would an M4-sized thing be better or just handguns for general learning? I'm cool with either. And of course, I could go paintball, though I gue4ss we could learn more about weapons operations if it's a realistic-enough weapon.

Jason
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle

Dylan Asbury

Postby Dylan Asbury » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:37 pm

Well, you're not really gonna learn much about real weapon operation from paintball or airsoft as they're both entirely different beasts from firearms. But far as what to think about getting goes, The fundamentals apply to pistols, rifles and shotguns. The only reason I'd recommend something like my M4 is semi and/or automatic fire, making the tempo of the fighting more realistic. the size and shape of the weapon really makes no difference. I'd like to at least address it on Wednesday, even at the DTM, to get kind of handle on interest and how it could be conducted.

william_cain_iii
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby william_cain_iii » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:27 am

Always have been interested in getting a nice G36 airsoft.

Alas, don't have the money.
Do right, there is nothing else.
myself

Dylan Asbury

Postby Dylan Asbury » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Yeah. money is tight for everyone. At this point, I'd rather just address the idea as a potentiality and determine interest rather than have anyone commit money or time, as Kron already has plenty on its plate. So, don't let not having the G36 yet bug you in any way. Besides, American guns R Bettr.

Return to “Kron Martial Arts”