Uniform Ideas

For the primary use of Swordscholar youth program students. Respectful guests are welcome, especially if they have something to teach.
Liam Rose the Just

Uniform Ideas

Postby Liam Rose the Just » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Just what the subject says.

Jake Norwood

Re: Uniform Ideas

Postby Jake Norwood » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:07 am

You're looking for uniform ideas?
Jake Norwood
Capital KDF
xKDF Network
YouTube Channel: DerAltenFechter

John Harmston
Site Admin

Postby John Harmston » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:38 pm

As you know, there is a variety of opinions on whether a HEMA uniform should be modern looking, historical, or something in between. Thus, we end up with groups training in everything from doublets & hose to modern MMA-style garb. If you are looking for uniform ideas you first need to define where you wish to be on that continuum. Your objectives in studying this art will help inform your decision.
John Harmston
Senior Instructor - True Edge Academy
HEMA Alliance Forum Admin
Lifetime Member, HEMA Alliance

John P
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby John P » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:30 pm

you want something that says western and martial arts. So I suggest wrestling singlet and cowboy boots.

This is not mandatory so I guess that it isn't truly a uniform but we encourage members of our group wears black pants and shirts preferably long sleeved.

Eamon Sheehy

Postby Eamon Sheehy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 am

Might I toss in for anyone who does not realize: Liam is referring to an in-class discussion we had at our Swordscholar practice. We are currently looking for ideas on what type of uniform we should wear to give our practices a little more... Well... Uniform.

Things that are basic:
-'Combat Knickers'
-T-Shirt

Not sure what colors we should aim for just yet. I feel like we need something a little brighter than the black & gold of Kron. And maybe more than just 2 colors. Something that flows together (Red, white, and blue are not on that list together lol).

Liam Rose the Just

Postby Liam Rose the Just » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:32 pm

Well, since we are "Swordscholar", I was thinking maybe it would be cool if we did a bi-colored uniform, having one color be about the same as an antique page like those found in manuals (maybe a tannish beige), and to satisfy everyone's want for a bright color, we could do some kind of visually interesting red? I definitely like the idea of the leather belt, and we could do some sort of tabs, or loops to put on it to designate rank? Also a lot cheaper than buying new belts every time like ..... every other martial art.

Will Adamson
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Will Adamson » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:57 am

In AHC we've been using cloth EMA belts. I go a size or two larger than for the usual tie. If folks want to wear leather ring belts then they pay for their own, but for the cloth belts the club covers the cost, which is just a few dollars each. As of right now we use green belts for those under 16 and brown for 16+. The difference in the material for each group has been eliminated so I was going to go to all brown, but the kids liked the green. The belts are then tied in the manner suggested by David Knight a while back. The principle difference now is that I expect those 16+ to be using steel as much as possible, while those 12-15 stick to synthetics.

Our ranks are a bit up in the air right now. I was going to use iron-on 1" stars to denote ranks on the belts. But being that we test so quickly on my current curricular envisioning I decided it might be best to think of it more in terms of how my old TKD instructor used to put tape on our belts to denote which elements of a test we were ready for. I'm still calling the level we're at now "Novice" with each star denoting that they have passed a test in which they had to demonstrate 5-7 techniques from each of the master cut sections of Ringeck (principally, not exclusively). I'm putting this curriculum together as I go, so it's fluid.

Besides that, wer're doing black pants and white shirt for the kids and similar form but freedom of color for the adults.
"Is this legal?"
"I dunno, it's fun though."

Liam the Nomad

Postby Liam the Nomad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Well, we've pretty much settled on cargo pants that go bellow the knee and leather belts, right? For the pants I'm thinking tan since it's the most widely available color and it sorta reflects on taking color inspiration from the manual (As Liam Rose said). As for the top, I think red would work. Perhaps with white text/symbol?

And for the belt, I'm thinking of burning a symbol in per rank. Is there any specific symbol that a longsword master used to represent his school that would work?
"Hark, sirrah! I am but a quivering mass of gelatin in the face of your good fortune!"

Will Adamson
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Will Adamson » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Burning a symbol? You guys gonna start branding yourselves? :P
"Is this legal?"
"I dunno, it's fun though."

Liam Rose the Just

Postby Liam Rose the Just » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Yep. We bought the cattle brands and everything.

Return to “Swordscholar”