Homework Video Set 2

For the primary use of Swordscholar youth program students. Respectful guests are welcome, especially if they have something to teach.
Liam Rose the Just

Homework Video Set 2

Postby Liam Rose the Just » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:28 pm

I guess this is place to put your homework from MLK Day since no one else made a new thread.

Liam Rose the Just

Re: Homework Video Set 2

Postby Liam Rose the Just » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR9dfAUGtUI

Alright, here is a video that shows dagger techniques. It is broken down and very helpful, rather than the fast knife fighting that looks cool but you cannot learn from. Oh, and sorry the music is so terrible. I don't choose it.

Liam the Nomad

Postby Liam the Nomad » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Good stuff there Liam Prime; it was a good see and I certainly picked up a boatload of knife-fighting tips to abuse in class. :P The assault at 1:38 I found to be particularly intriguing, as well as the blocks and counters. Watching them play it out was the only thing that kept me alive from that bloody song. >_<

Anyhow, I thought this video was pretty neat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC5FIyfI ... re=related

As you can see, it capitalizes on blocks/counters with the longsword. Of course it's in German, so you get to warm up your visual learning technique. :P Despite that they are mostly 2-3 move combos and are very effective and easy to figure out, even if they don't explain them verbally. And just a heads up, the music isn't exactly a stellar fit. ._.
"Hark, sirrah! I am but a quivering mass of gelatin in the face of your good fortune!"

Eamon Sheehy

Postby Eamon Sheehy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Those are both excellent videos guys! I really liked the dagger techniques Optimus Liam, good to drill with for future sparring with rondels. I especialluy love how they break it down and make it simple to understand.

As for Liam the Other, those longsword drills are really insightful. I like how it shows a move and then its counter. Something we should drill with.

My own contribution is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtisxi1dxdY

They do the moves rather fast but the general gist is very interesting. It shows some nice binding and quick disengagemnt to get stabs/cuts in before the opponent can react. Not a lot of defesive in ther ebut plenty of attack/countering, toss a block or two in and you've got some real nasty combos up your sleeve.

Liam Rose the Just

Postby Liam Rose the Just » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Liam the Not Me, I have to say, what I really liked about your video is that rather than having their "set" of moves that they go through, they do one move and build on that with another move, and then add the counter, etc. For me (having the memory of a chipmunk) that seems like that would be a lot better for learning the progression and I would more able to apply it in sparring. Eamon the Not Either of Us, I like how they go through the moves so smoothly without any of the awkward choppiness.

Cormac Sheehy

Postby Cormac Sheehy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:51 am

My own video for commenting and the like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to7gr_caGGc

I found it a little interesting at first that the two fighters both appear to lack kneepads, or any sort of leg protection at all other than pants. But thta isn't really much of a comment is it?

So, what I really thought of the video ( :P ) was how most of the hits are snipes or grazes, rather than nice, big, drawn-out cuts and the like. I also found it a little interesting that they don't enter the bind very often, until towards the end.

Also, Eamon, I found your video pretty interesting and helpful as well. Maybe I'll get around to using one of those techniques in class.

RJ McKeehan
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby RJ McKeehan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:44 pm

Cormac I definitely wouldn't say most of that video is hand snipes or grazing strikes. I saw some pretty solid strikes to the head. There were a number of hand hits, but they were more the consequence of a fast strike not fully blocked than hand "sniping" (implying they were aiming for the opponents hands for a quick point while trying to stay out of range). Great video though, Axel is one of the best fighters in all of HEMA and it's awesome to watch him train.
RJ McKeehan
South Coast Swords, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

Return to “Swordscholar”