Deadliest Weapon

For the primary use of Swordscholar youth program students. Respectful guests are welcome, especially if they have something to teach.
Liam Rose the Just

Deadliest Weapon

Postby Liam Rose the Just » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:49 pm

After a few discussions in class about this subject, I thought I would bring it to the forums. The simple question. Who would win, longsword or arming sword and buckler?

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Re: Deadliest Weapon

Postby Michael Chidester » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:22 pm

The sword and buckler combination has a few advantages over the longsword in unarmed dueling, but that will really only matter to novices. For experienced fighters, it's entirely a question of skill.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

John Harmston
Site Admin

Postby John Harmston » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:34 pm

I am of the opinion that between two duelists of equal skill, the S&B will generally come out on top.

Your mileage may vary.
John Harmston
Senior Instructor - True Edge Academy
HEMA Alliance Forum Admin
Lifetime Member, HEMA Alliance

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Apparently I need to start beating your ass at s&b vs. longsword more often. You're starting to forget.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

John Harmston
Site Admin

Postby John Harmston » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:34 am

Sounds fun. :twisted:
John Harmston
Senior Instructor - True Edge Academy
HEMA Alliance Forum Admin
Lifetime Member, HEMA Alliance

nathan f

Postby nathan f » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:40 am

i think its entirely down to the fighters and their skill and luck when it comes to any fight. buckler does have advantages of course but so does the longsword in some ways. i think you two need to do a 100 bouts to see who comes out on top :twisted:

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:50 pm

What it comes down to is that S&B is specialized for unarmored fighting, and the longsword isn't. For example, you have armor and he doesn't. You have equivalent reach and all the same strikes that he does, but two weapons means you can multitask. The only advantage that the generalist longsword has in this situation is more agility than your medieval single-hand sword, and more oomph than your Renaissance side sword.

However, I think that these advantages are ultimately negligible, since a canny fighter can counter them all tactically (just as a S&B fighter expects to neutralize the longsword's superior speed or power through tactics). Personally, I tend to approach the fight looking for opportunities to turn the buckler into a liability and use it against my opponent.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Liam Rose the Just

Postby Liam Rose the Just » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:32 pm

Or perhaps we could refine the debate to the superior quality; the agility and freedom of movement of the longsword or the versatility and two weapon advantage of the sword and buckler?

Jake Norwood

Postby Jake Norwood » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:27 am

Hi Mike,

I agree that S&B seems to have lots of advantages over a longsword fighter. I’m really interested in your observations and ideas on using the other guy’s buckler as a liability (use it against him).

Jake
Jake Norwood
Capital KDF
xKDF Network
YouTube Channel: DerAltenFechter

Jordan Hinckley
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jordan Hinckley » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:44 am

Though they both have their benifits, I prefer longsword. Given the length one is more able to keep ones opponent at a distance though if propperly blocked with a buckler that difference becomes negligable. One thing I have used against buckler that has been somewhat effective is, as Jake has said, To use the buckler against them. Work on the buckler side, side step in that direction, make your opponent go over themselves to get in a hit. It does ultamately come down to skill of the persons fighting as anything does. I was showing someone how to get inside on someone who has reach on them with a dagger the other day and clearing the sword and making a hit very easily,but again they were a beginner, and I would never say dagger is better than sword but in close play.
"Though the pen is mightier than the sword, the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment." The Mouse that Roared by Leonard Wibberley
http://www.TheUCSA.com

Return to “Swordscholar”