dall'Agocchie: mechanics passing back from Imbroccata?

NoVA-Assalto is an organization based in Northern Virginia with the goal of organizing events and information involving 16th century Bolognese swordsmanship.
Steven Reich
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: dall'Agocchie: mechanics passing back from Imbroccata?

Postby Steven Reich » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:14 pm

mackenzie cosens wrote:The "Essential Actions of Giovanni dall’Agocchie" has two ending guardia, PdFS for opponents to the outside and Coda Lunga e Stretta for opponents to the inside. What are the covering actions of CLeS?

I think I need to write an article about covering actions. In general, which covering action you use would be determined by considering your finishing action and the opponent's position.

Steve
Founder of NoVA-Assalto

Richard Cullinan

Postby Richard Cullinan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Delurking briefly....

The earlier texts such as Manciolino and Marozzo make significant use of the retreat behind the extended point (Guardia di Faccia) as a covering action.

So much so that I list it as one of the seven primary defensive tactics for Bolognese swordsmanship.

Going back to lurking....
Richard Cullinan
-----------------------------------------------------------
Australia's Bolognese Swordsmanship Guy
http://www.renfence.com.au

Head Provost of Stoccata Drummoyne
http://stoccata.org/index.php/schools/s ... /drummoyne

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Keith P. Myers » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:33 am

Hey Richard!

Glad to see you here! You should post more often! We need more "Bolognese flavor" in the forum in general! ;)
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Steven Reich
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Steven Reich » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:04 am

Richard Cullinan wrote:The earlier texts such as Manciolino and Marozzo make significant use of the retreat behind the extended point (Guardia di Faccia) as a covering action.

Boy, you aren't kidding. I went back and looked at the material...I had forgotten how prominent that cover is.

So some (most?) of the covering actions (in no particular order), performed as you retreat out of measure:
1. Thrust to the opponent's face in Guardia di Faccia.
2. Riverso made as a molinello around your left side.
3. Mandritto.
4. Falso Manco (most likely followed by a Mandritto or Riverso into a narrow guard).
5. Falso Dritto or Mandritto Ridoppio to the opponent's sword-hand.
6. Thrust to the opponent's sword-hand.
7. Cut to the opponent's sword-arm.

Which one you use would depend upon the position of your sword, the position of the opponent's sword, and what your opponent does. My favorites are 1, 2, and 3.

Steve
Founder of NoVA-Assalto

Richard Cullinan

Postby Richard Cullinan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:15 am

Keith P. Myers wrote:Hey Richard!

Glad to see you here! You should post more often! We need more "Bolognese flavor" in the forum in general! ;)

Yeah well the conversation is mostly about German stuff here, and I just don't grok German!
:-)
Richard Cullinan

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Keith P. Myers » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 am

Richard Cullinan wrote:

Yeah well the conversation is mostly about German stuff here, and I just don't grok German!

Yes, but there are enough of us also interested in the Bolognese material that if you started some discussions or provided some input on threads about general techniques and methods people would appreciate it. Heck, you might even make some converts! ;) We don't want the majority to drown out other great stuff! And sometimes seeing something described or answered from a different approach helps provide some insight into one's own approach. I know that is certainly true as I try and figure out Meyer's Sidesword! And I'm sure Steve would enjoy some company! ;)
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Dan Sellars

Postby Dan Sellars » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:25 am

Richard Cullinan wrote:

yeah I feel the same being mainly interested in Fiore, but I do really like what I have played with Bolognese wise and would welcome more discussions on it, instead of all this German nonsense... :-)
Dan Sellars
Context is everything

mackenzie cosens

Postby mackenzie cosens » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:25 pm

I have just started to work with the Bolognese material, so the more conversation the better the chance that I learn something,
Already, this thread has helped me a great deal, so thanks. More Bolognese (or earlier) would make me happy. :)

mackenzie

Richard Cullinan

Postby Richard Cullinan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Hmm I stand corrected.

I'm not sure if everyone here has seen it but I've got a blog over on my Renfence website (link below).

Over the last couple of months I've been writing up the weekly lessons I've been giving in Bolognese Swordsmanship. I tend to cover the mechanics etc and some of my reasoning behind the interpretation. I've been told by my students that it's been really useful, so it should help some people here as well is my guess.

Oh, I should mention straight up I work almost exclusively from Manciolino's Opera Nova, with some extension work out of Marozzo's Opera Nova
Richard Cullinan

Return to “NoVA-Assalto”