The Dark Side

NoVA-Assalto is an organization based in Northern Virginia with the goal of organizing events and information involving 16th century Bolognese swordsmanship.
Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

The Dark Side

Postby Keith P. Myers » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:56 am

The force is calling me back! A year or so back I really took a good look at the Bolognese methods and did some training on my own. I liked it, but ended up going back to my German/Meyer/Mair emphasis. This past weekend I got to work on the Spadone/Montante methods at Longpoint and got to do some Sword & Buckler and Sword & Shield work with Steve "on the side." It reminded me of why I liked the Bolognese stuff to begin with! Now that I live within 45 minutes or so of Steve Reich and Steve Hick, I foresee some serious Bolognese style training in my future! ;)

Of course, the German stylists really shouldn't consider it the "dark side." After all, Joachim Meyer himself cross-trained with the Italians!
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Re: The Dark Side

Postby Michael Chidester » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:08 am

Yes, and that makes Meyer part of the Dark Side. :P
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Jeremy S.
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jeremy S. » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:10 am

Was there ever any doubt? ;)
Sharing my love for all things sharp and pointy
Western Swordsmanship Technique and Research
HEMA Alliance

Steven Reich
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Steven Reich » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:23 am

Keith P. Myers wrote:Now that I live within 45 minutes or so of Steve Reich and Steve Hick, I foresee some serious Bolognese style training in my future!

Montante, too ;)

We'll do a pan-Germanic-Mediterranean sidesword practice. We can add in the Dussack (because it's fun), polearms, and grappling from Meyer and the Bolognese, too.

Steve
Founder of NoVA-Assalto

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Keith P. Myers » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:55 am

Steven Reich wrote:
Keith P. Myers wrote:Now that I live within 45 minutes or so of Steve Reich and Steve Hick, I foresee some serious Bolognese style training in my future!

Montante, too ;)

We'll do a pan-Germanic-Mediterranean sidesword practice. We can add in the Dussack (because it's fun), polearms, and grappling from Meyer and the Bolognese, too.

Steve

Sounds like a plan! I'd already decided to take my small group through Marozzo's dagger presas as a foundation for dagger and grappling and then flesh it out with material from Meyer and Mair.
Keith P. Myers
Rockville, Maryland

Steven Reich
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Steven Reich » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:08 am

Keith P. Myers wrote:Sounds like a plan! I'd already decided to take my small group through Marozzo's dagger presas as a foundation for dagger and grappling and then flesh it out with material from Meyer and Mair.

In that case, you might like this (if you don't already have it): Dagger Prese in summary translation.
Founder of NoVA-Assalto

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Keith P. Myers » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:15 am

Steven Reich wrote:
Keith P. Myers wrote:Sounds like a plan! I'd already decided to take my small group through Marozzo's dagger presas as a foundation for dagger and grappling and then flesh it out with material from Meyer and Mair.

In that case, you might like this (if you don't already have it): Dagger Prese in summary translation.

Printed it out last week! ;)
Keith P. Myers
Rockville, Maryland

Return to “NoVA-Assalto”