Language

NoVA-Assalto is an organization based in Northern Virginia with the goal of organizing events and information involving 16th century Bolognese swordsmanship.
Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Language

Postby Keith P. Myers » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:15 am

Just wondering....how close is modern Italian to the Renn Italian in the Bolognese sources? Modern German to New High German is fairly close. So studying modern German certainly can help, and I think the typical modern-day German speaker could probably read the old texts and figure them out, as long as they are familiar with fencing specific terminology. Is the same true of the Italian? I've bought a Italian study book and an Italian to English dictionary with hopes of teaching myself to read the Bolognese texts like I can read many of the German ones.
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Steven Reich
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Language

Postby Steven Reich » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:30 am

Keith P. Myers wrote:Just wondering....how close is modern Italian to the Renn Italian in the Bolognese sources? Modern German to New High German is fairly close. So studying modern German certainly can help, and I think the typical modern-day German speaker could probably read the old texts and figure them out, as long as they are familiar with fencing specific terminology. Is the same true of the Italian? I've bought a Italian study book and an Italian to English dictionary with hopes of teaching myself to read the Bolognese texts like I can read many of the German ones.

It isn't horribly distant (much closer than English of that period is to modern English). The spellings are different (and inconsistent) and some of the idiomatic expressions might be a little different. Also, it depends upon the text--some are clearer than others to the "modern" Italian ear/eye.

Steve
Founder of NoVA-Assalto

Return to “NoVA-Assalto”