New Spadone!

NoVA-Assalto is an organization based in Northern Virginia with the goal of organizing events and information involving 16th century Bolognese swordsmanship.
Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

New Spadone!

Postby Keith P. Myers » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:18 am

Hi Guys!

I just got my sword from Arms & Armor. I liked the width of the crossguard on their Spadone model. But it is a simple bar of steel and not very ornate. I liked the crossguard on their Montante model better because it is forged steel with a "filigree" at the ricasso and looks nice. But it is pretty narrow. So I talked to Craig on the phone when I ordered my sword. He took the crossguard from the Montante and did some hammer work on it when it came out of the fire to lengthen it at either end. This added about 1 inch of width on both sides. So now I have a Spadone, but with the Montante crossguard. The width is somewhere between that of the Spadone model and the Montante model. It came out great! :) And the timing of my order must have been pretty good, because I had my sword within 3 weeks of ordering it. Can't wait to get with Steve and put it through the paces! ;)
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Steven Reich
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: New Spadone!

Postby Steven Reich » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:31 am

Oooh, I like the description of the hilt! Photo?

Sundays at 10:00 am in Lorton...

Steve
Founder of NoVA-Assalto

Jon Wolfe

Postby Jon Wolfe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:47 am

Please tell me you're bringing it to the Meyer Open?

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Keith P. Myers » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:08 am

My training partner and I worked on some of Marozzo's plays with the Spadone today. When you alternate between the Spadone and a Longsword you can sure tell the difference. Not only does the Longsword feel somewhat like a "toy" in comparison, you can feel how the Spadone techniques are taking advantage of the weight, momentum and reach of the big sword. I also find that you have better control of the Spadone when you use the waist and hips to move it rather than the arms. This goes directly back to my Silat training. :)
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Steven Reich
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Steven Reich » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:19 am

Keith P. Myers wrote:My training partner and I worked on some of Marozzo's plays with the Spadone today. When you alternate between the Spadone and a Longsword you can sure tell the difference. Not only does the Longsword feel somewhat like a "toy" in comparison, you can feel how the Spadone techniques are taking advantage of the weight, momentum and reach of the big sword. I also find that you have better control of the Spadone when you use the waist and hips to move it rather than the arms. This goes directly back to my Silat training. :)

Great! Also, when you use your waist and hips rather than your arms, you aren't so sore the next day :)

Incidentally, I'd love to see a photo of the hilt that Craig did for you...

Steve
Founder of NoVA-Assalto

Return to “NoVA-Assalto”