Altoni

NoVA-Assalto is an organization based in Northern Virginia with the goal of organizing events and information involving 16th century Bolognese swordsmanship.
Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Altoni

Postby Keith P. Myers » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:35 pm

What is Altoni's relationship to the Bolognese School? Although not typical, in at least one place I've seen his work included in a list of sources for the Bolognese method.
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Steven Reich
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Altoni

Postby Steven Reich » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Keith P. Myers wrote:What is Altoni's relationship to the Bolognese School? Although not typical, in at least one place I've seen his work included in a list of sources for the Bolognese method.

I am pretty familiar with Altoni and I can tell you that he is most definitely NOT part of the Bolognese school. While he has a few terms that he uses that are also found in the Bolognese sources (the most obvious one being a guard named "Porta di Ferro"), his use of the terminology is different, as is his presentation and his fundamental actions. Frankly, whoever would lump him in as another "Bolognese" author has either not read (and understood) the Bolognese, has not read Altoni, or both.

Steve
Founder of NoVA-Assalto

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Altoni

Postby Keith P. Myers » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks Steve! That's kind of what I figured from some things you've written in the past. Just wanted to clarify. :)
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Return to “NoVA-Assalto”