Today's Mastercuts

This forum is designated for discussions among True Edge Academy members. Non-True Edge posters are also welcome to participate herein. Note: The E-list remains the method for official internal communication and announcements.
Nathan

Today's Mastercuts

Postby Nathan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm trying to remember the names of the cuts we learned today. Anyone care to remind me?

There was 1. the cover where we popped up from Kron and then cut diagonally to the left upper opening.

Then 2. the twist from the bind in Kron to bring the blade straight down onto the opponents head.

Then 3. the same only with a diagonal cut instead of straight down.

Then 4. kron with the false edge cutting beneath the opponents guard as we step under and through.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Re: Today's Mastercuts

Postby Nathan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks John! This will help a lot to properly term what I'm practicing.

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:36 am

I think John is confusing the 6PM class and the 7PM class. At 6 we worked mastercuts. At 7, we worked on various follow-ups from the cover to 5th/Kron. They were a long-edge diagonal cut, a short-edge vertical cut, a short-edge diagonal cut, and a short edge rising cut while stepping through. If I were forced to use German terms, I'd say we did Abnehmen, two Duplierens, and the Kronhau. From Fiore's perspective, I'd say they were the first and second plays of the First Master of Longsword, then the second play of the Second Master, and... I got nothing for the last one. Colpo Sottano from a coverta with Posta Frontale. Or something.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:32 pm

On the short edge vertical cut, as you rotate the blade to cut down, in practice the opponent's blade kept sliding down and hitting my fingers. Is that an element of sparring with rounded wooden wasters, or am I missing something on that? It's at that point when the flat of both blades becomes flush, it just slips down and nabs the fingers.

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:05 pm

In the first place, it's not particularly significant if you've properly stifled the strike first. Incidental edge contact will nick you at most. However, if it bugs you, give the blade a little nudge to get it out of the way before you cut.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Okay, that's fine. As long as it isn't indicative of something I'm missing.

Return to “True Edge Academy”