7/29/2011 Test cutting

For internal business and projects of Abingdon Historical Combat. Others are welcome to post relevant material.
Will Adamson
HEMA Alliance Member

7/29/2011 Test cutting

Postby Will Adamson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Jake Norwood

Re: 7/29/2011 Test cutting

Postby Jake Norwood » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Good to see some cutting! I like the "alternate" angles. That make me want to go do a few of these.

In the first video, it looks like the sword is flexing/whipping. Is that an optical illusion? Any chance we could see it in slo-mo?
Jake Norwood
Capital KDF
xKDF Network
YouTube Channel: DerAltenFechter

Will Adamson
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Will Adamson » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:13 am

I saw that too. I looked at it frame by frame and it is whipping A LOT! Even though all longswords are supposed to flex some the Talhoffer is pretty stout. I did bend it a bit on something a few years ago, but I don't think that distortion is contributing to this whip since you can see the blade whipping the other direction on the recovery. Is this a bad thing? Does it show that my edge alignment is way off?
"Is this legal?"
"I dunno, it's fun though."

ashultz

Postby ashultz » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:24 am

You are putting more energy in than is necessary (see the position of your shoulder at the end of the cut), the whipping may be what is happening as you have to bring the cut to a stop having dumped so much energy into it rather than something that is happening from the cut itself. There's already a bend right before impact as you are still dumping energy in.

You're going to get that any time you really cut hard with a flexible (even only flexible like this fairly stiff albion) sword, it's just that usually you don't go quite so all out as this so there's less and usually we don't actually get an angle that makes it so obvious.

You're also definitely leading with the hands which probably makes the flex before cut much worse, maybe leading with the point you would have less. That's total supposition though, you'd have to learn to do both on demand and then take videos to show us whether that's true.

Return to “Abingdon Historical Combat”