DRILLS DRILLS DRILLS [Read the rules before posting]

Discussions about manual study, translations, philology, historical research, and similar topics.
Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Re: DRILLS DRILLS DRILLS [Read the rules before posting]

Postby Ben Floyd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:36 am

Drill Number - 51
Drill Name - Zornhauw will protect me
Type - Paired Exercise
Skill Trained - Zornhauw
Props - Longsword simulators, gloves, masks
Description - Agent (usually a brand new student) will only strike a zornhau to the partner's head, trying to hit it every time. Patient will do one of three actions: step forward without striking (or use fehlen), strike a zornhauw, or strike the incoming blade (or krumphauw). The goal of the game is to trick the Agent to miss the head even when the Patient steps forward without striking at all. This is accomplished by building expectations of blade contact by attacking the agent's blade. New students will inevitably start striking towards the sword to feel safer in the bind. Once the agent is also striking the patient's sword, the patient should start a strike but drop his hands before contact. If the agent is attacking the blade, the strike sails on by without hitting. For new students, this also helps them to get over their hangups about hitting someone.

I've never had a new person in class that doesn't whiff a strike, though some are better than others.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member
Krieg School of Historical Fencing, a HEMAA group

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Daniel M

Postby Daniel M » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:32 am

Drill Number - 52
Drill Name - Working from Ox
Type - Drill
Skill Trained - Using Ox in handwork, dealing with a foe who constantly displaces upwards, winden, fuhlen
Props - Longswords.
Description - Both Agent and Patient begin from a classic middle bind, both in left Plow. Agent winds to Ox and threatens Patient's face with the point. Patient pushes up into Ox with the point offline to displace (panic reaction). Agent rises their point over Patient's crosshilt and past his sword, and drops the point down to threaten the Patient's lower right opening. (The swords should form an X.) At this point, Patient can try to get a cut off against Agent's arms, but is unlikely to be able to do this without getting stabbed in the kidney. (Don't let me stop you from modifying this into a hende trucken drill, though.) As such, Patient decides to wind back into left Plow in a circular motion, pushing Agent's sword upwards and around, dropping his hilt and putting his point back on the Agent's face. Agent pushes back into his own Plow to keep Patient from threatening his face, and now they're back at the beginning. Agent raises back into Ox and repeats the drill. Do this until your arms fall off, then switch places.

Remarks - I came up with this drill because my regular sparring partner tends to instinctively snap back into Plow (often breaking the bind) to launch a thrust, even when I'm threatening their head, and getting hit on the head as a result. They tend to forget that they can thrust and wind from Ox, although they use it well in other circumstances, and so I came up with a drill that teaches them how to use Ox offensively. They also tend to displace very high upwards whenever the sword makes contact, which frustrated me until I realized I could drop my point over the other side of their sword and stab them in the kidney. Overall, I've found this great for teaching my partner why Ox is such a great guard to do work from.

Edit: An addendum: Recently, as my sparring partner and I have gotten more adept at completing this drill fluidly, we've found that we have trouble with looking at the swords rather than our own opponent, as our eyes are often drawn high. At first we made a commitment to looking at each other, but when this proved difficult to resist, we progressed into doing this one with our eyes closed. I'm finding this unique experience useful for training my fuhlen. Who knows, I might break out the blindfolds and be all "Don't think, fuhlen!"

Stevie T

Postby Stevie T » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:48 am

Drill Number - 53
Drill Name - Dodging the Bullet
Type - exercise
Skill Trained - distance management, footwork, timing.
Props - Lngsword Simulator, Mask and gloves.
Description - 1:30 mins rounds, then swap roles.

Phase 1.
• Agent – attack to the head with Quarter in two hands.
• Patient – Using footwork to avoid being hit.

Scoring – Agent gets 1 point for hitting the opponent, if the Agent misses with the attack then the Patient gets 1 point. (If Agent causes Patient to back into a wall then strikes then 1 point to the Patient.)

Phase 2.
• Agent – attack with Quarter or Snatch.
• Patient – voids using footwork.

Scoring – Agent gets 1 point for hitting with Snatch, and 2 for with Quarter. Patient gets 1 point if Agent misses.

Phase 3.
• Agent – As above.
• Patient – As above, however, if the Agent misses the Patient can attempt to strike after.

Scoring – as above, plus if the Patient lands his strike after he gets points as above, if the Patient misses his after strike then the Agent will gain a point.

Remarks - Quarter is an "oberhau", Snatch is a strike made with the left hand only. It's probably only of use to beginners, though can work with more experienced students who end up a little immobile in free fencing. The different "phases" are meant for students of different levels of experience. I tend to use the same area we sparr in to develop the Patients awareness of his space. "Twitching" is allowed but faints count as an attempted strike.

You will need to stress to the agent that there is a certain amount of co-oppration needed on his behalf. The patient is totally vulnerable, so backing him into a corner and then striking is unsporting. I counter this by penalising a strike made against the Patient when he is "on the ropes" as it were. I also enourage the Agent to back out so that the Patient will step forwards and the Agent can then strike while the Patient is mid step forward.
Hopefully the Patient will see the benifit of playing on the very edge of distance in attempt to lure the Agent into making a risky attack and gaining himself a point when the agent lands short.
An Englishman will always treat you as an equal, as long as you treat him as your superior.

akooser

Postby akooser » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:01 pm

• Drill Number - 54
  • Drill Name - Basic Fiore Footwork
  • Type - Exercise
  • Skill Trained - Movement using accressere, dicressere, passare, and tomare. And learning what those words mean.
  • Props - None, unless you want to use a metronome
  • Description - Walk passare and accressere for four measures. Then tomare and dicressere for four measures.
  • Remarks - This is one of our openings here in NM. It stems from this series we used to do in Aikido.

akooser

Postby akooser » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:05 pm

• Drill Number - 55
  • Drill Name - Basic turning from Fiore
  • Type - Exercise
  • Skill Trained - Basic turning and learning what meza volta, volta stabile, and volta tutta are.
  • Props - None
  • Description - Meza volta, meza volta, volta stabile, meza volta, volta stabile, volta stabile, meza volta, and volta tutta. Repeat four times.
  • Remarks - You can do a free for all after everyone goes through this four times. Place everyone about an arms length apart and have people move as necessary to avoid each other

akooser

Postby akooser » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:11 pm

• Drill Number - 56
  • Drill Name - Inside Palm to Outside Palm
  • Type - Exercise
  • Skill Trained - Proper offline positioning of posta di finestra, Basic movement with blade and mutable guard
  • Props - None
  • Description - Posta di finestra (right side), passare, posta di finestra (left side), high thrust from posta di finestra (right side). These are all with passare.
  • Remarks - You can turn this into a drill with two people facing off with each other and trying to maintain the correct distance using an combination of movement to do that. You really need to be on the ball with the off-line Posta di finestra and how the guard rotates around the center as it moves right to left and back again.

Scott Richardson

Postby Scott Richardson » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:45 am

I am certainly no expert in HEMA generally or Longsword specifically, but luckily my background in education allows me to break things down into their constituent parts and train those. So, in my club, there is an abundance of drills we do to practice the pieces of each move in order to later put it all together into one cohesive attack. Here are some of the drills we do:

• Drill Number - 57
  • Drill Name - Defending from a Known Vector
  • Type - Drill
  • Skill Trained - Hand/eye coordination, speed, accuracy, and reacting to a moving sword
  • Props - None
  • Description - In this drill, the Agent will throw an Uberhau at the Patient, with the Patient being perfectly aware it is coming. The Patient will react with all due speed and defeat the attack by using the proper position. The Agent then throws a Mittlehau, then an Unterhau, and again the Patient defends properly.
  • Remarks - The ultimate goal of this drill is to "teach the eye," as I call it, because if you can't tell from where an attack is coming you can't defend against it. By starting off having the Patient know from where the attack will come they will learn to make the connection between what they see and what they do without having to think about it.

• Drill Number - 58
  • Drill Name - Defending from an Unknown Vector
  • Type - Drill
  • Skill Trained - Hand/eye coordination, speed, accuracy, and reacting to a moving sword
  • Props - None
  • Description - The description is the same as above, with the significant difference that in this drill the Patient does not know from which vector the attack will come. This is obviously the next step up from the previous drill and forces them to be acutely aware of the sword's movement and their reaction.
  • Remarks - None additional

• Drill Number - 59
  • Drill Name - Kill the Spoon
  • Type - Drill
  • Skill Trained - Speed, accuracy, sword control
  • Props - Two standard kitchen wooden spoons
  • Description - In this drill, the Agent stands with a wooden spoon in either hand hidden behind their back. The Patient will stand in either Ochs or Pflug, their choice, but will take turns in both. The Agent will quickly take one spoon from behind their back at various heights and distances away from their body, and the Patient will thrust at the spoon head -- and very tiny target! -- a fast as possible.
  • Remarks - I used this drill a lot when I ran a club for sport fencing, and though the thrust is of less importance in Longsword it is often the go-to move once in the bind, so speed, accuracy, and proper blade position are vital. Plus it's just fun!

• Drill Number - 60
  • Drill Name - Attack and Defend
  • Type - Drill
  • Skill Trained - Speed, accuracy, instinctive reaction
  • Props - None
  • Description - In this drill, the Agent attacks from various vectors earnestly, with all the speed, force, and intensity as if sparring. However, upon coming into the bind the Agent does not wind. The Patient meets the blade and immediately counters in whatever way they see fit. Both also pause a moment after contact is made to double check proper blade placement, point contact, etc.
  • Remarks - This drill, like so many others we do, is designed to break fighting into its constituent parts to better develop the small skills needed to win the big goal. Here, the Patient gets practice recognizing attacks and to swiftly counter in a controlled, powerful way. Meanwhile, the Agent gets to practice making a clean, powerful attack.

• Drill Number - 61
  • Drill Name - Attack and Attack
  • Type - Drill
  • Skill Trained - Speed, accuracy, instinctive reaction
  • Props - None
  • Description - This is the companion drill to the above one, in which the Agent attacks, but then when in the bind winds and attacks again. The Patient makes no attempt to foil the Agent's secondary attack.
  • Remarks - Much the same as above, with the exception that this drill is to instill the healthy aggression of German Longsword in the Agent as well as to teach them they do need a counter attack in mind or at least to be able to counter instantly to what the Patient offers them

As a side note, I should mention that all of these drills are practiced first from the right side and then the left, and we typically start slow and easy and then increase the intensity.

Thank you,
Scott Richardson, Chief Instructor
Black Wolf Historical Fencing Club

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:53 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeSrLK2S3Ls

Dagger drill.

Have student do technique slow.
Then have student do just the technique with speed while wearing a helmet. Stop there. Worry about the next part later.

Return to “Research & Techniques”