History of the current HEMA movement

Discussions about manual study, translations, philology, historical research, and similar topics.
Joeli Takala

Re: History of the current HEMA movement

Postby Joeli Takala » Sat May 31, 2014 2:35 pm

Christopher Lee wrote:I wonder if the history of the development of the 'culture' should be documented, from the academic, niche and wholistic historically based interest to the rise of a mass appeal tournament based culture of the 'duh, hit him til he's dead' school of thought (that includes the John Clemments 'cobra kai dojo'). I suppose both have their place and represent different motivations and contributions to the broader movement.

Not sure what you said makes any sense. Unless your "duh" comment was aimed as a deliberate insult. Hey, didn't just one of the most productive researchers of the past year win two medals in one of the oldest national hema competitions this weekend? Are you sure you are not just stereotyping based on something which you have read about on the internet?

I would be careful not to drive divisions within hema too much. Both the quality of research and fencing skill has been going up every year, partially because of the efforts of the same people.
Grieswartt - the hipster european martial art club, university of Helsinki

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:08 am

Christopher Lee can say whatever he likes thanks to his hard work in Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Dracula, and singing on heavy metal albums.

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:14 am

Joeli Takala wrote:Hey, didn't just one of the most productive researchers of the past year win two medals in one of the oldest national hema competitions this weekend?

Who's that then?
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:15 am

Richard Marsden wrote:Christopher Lee can say whatever he likes thanks to his hard work in Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Dracula, and singing on heavy metal albums.

Let's not forget his knighthood or the time he spent with the SAS hunting down and killing Nazis.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Phil C

Postby Phil C » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:55 am

Michael Chidester wrote:Let's not forget his knighthood or the time he spent with the SAS hunting down and killing Nazis.

When I worked with him he was dressed in red tights, a white dress, red pixie boots and wearing a shower cap- that's definitely difficult to forget!

Joeli Takala

Postby Joeli Takala » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:00 am

Michael Chidester wrote:Who's that then?

Piermarco. Checking the results of SWASH, two golds one silver. Lot of stuff on his plate with finding the lost Giganti and publishing it and helping with the translation of Alfieri along with some other contributions of understanding Italian rapier. Not that I'd stalk people or anything.
Grieswartt - the hipster european martial art club, university of Helsinki

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Cool, I haven't seen the results from SWASH yet.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Ken Mondschein
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Ken Mondschein » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 pm

FISAS is interesting. Just like I came out of Martinez but decided to interface with the larger world (and was booted for it), a lot of really good European guys—Alberto, Francesco, etc.—came out of FISAS. What Andrea did (sort of like what John Clements did) was start something big and give it structure, the inevitable happened, and, just as happened with ARMA, some of it budded off into some more of the organisms swimming around the primordial soup.

Mike Ruhala
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Mike Ruhala » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Not sure I believe in "pioneers" exactly. I've been studying what we are now calling "HEMA" since the 90's and I recognize a few other guys around here who've been at it that long. Back then we were digging up new stuff all the time, never quite knew what we might find or how it all fit together. We weren't the first either though, there were just a lot fewer connections between people back then so you didn't see or hear too much without a lot of work. I remember things like learning how to make chainmail in the early 90's was a huge deal for me, now you can type it into Google and find countless tutorials on all kinds of crazy patterns, historical riveting techniques, etc. Then there's the type I community that's been here the whole time. Hutton is a high profile historical figure in this community for whatever reason but he wasn't the first to look at the ancient master's writings either, in fact you can't pick and era in which there weren't fencing masters studying the works of their ancestors. Even the early KDF sources recognize that the art was hundreds of years old in their time and that Liechtenauer didn't invent any of it he just organized it and taught it. What we do have are particular people who've been especially influential during various eras, for better or worse.
Historical fencing on Florida's Treasure Coast!
www.tcfencers.com

Nate Arries

Postby Nate Arries » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Hmm maybe the time line and history should start earlier?

Might be worthwhile to mention the development of catch/ submission wrestling and the famous Gracie/ Kimura match too.
My name is Nate Arries, I can't seem to change my username

Return to “Research & Techniques”