Eye Contact

Discussions about manual study, translations, philology, historical research, and similar topics.
Tea Kew

Re: Eye Contact

Postby Tea Kew » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:21 am

Confusingly, it's both.

There is the squinting cut/schilhaw, delivered with the short edge against a powerful cut, or a low thrust, or to break pflug or langort.

However, there are a few extra plays in that section, which ask you to deliver a short-edge oberhaw while looking somewhere misleading (which is also called squinting). The most direct of these is the one I quoted.

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:04 am

"There are three Squinters, namely two Squinting Cuts, one from the right, the second from your left, which is done with crossed hands not unlike the Crooked Cut, as described above concerning the Crooked Cuts. The third is a Squinter with the face, when I look at a place, and act as if I intended to strike there, but I don't do this, but strike in somewhere else. "

There you go.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member
Krieg School of Historical Fencing, a HEMAA group

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:05 am

"There are three Squinters, namely two Squinting Cuts, one from the right, the second from your left, which is done with crossed hands not unlike the Crooked Cut, as described above concerning the Crooked Cuts. The third is a Squinter with the face, when I look at a place, and act as if I intended to strike there, but I don't do this, but strike in somewhere else. "

There you go.

For what it's worth, I tend to look center mass near the base of the neck. I glance elsewhere occasionally, but I'm generally there.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member
Krieg School of Historical Fencing, a HEMAA group

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Roland Warzecha

Postby Roland Warzecha » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:45 pm

I have made a video on that issue a while ago. It is noteworthy that Musashi recommended to look through your opponent, rather than looking at him, which I feel provides you with a great three dimensional perception of a fight.

Return to “Research & Techniques”