Pseudo Peter von Danzig's Verkehrer (half-hew)

Discussions about manual study, translations, philology, historical research, and similar topics.
Matthew Brown

Pseudo Peter von Danzig's Verkehrer (half-hew)

Postby Matthew Brown » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:18 pm

I got curious about this after a comment by Jake Norwood led me to look at some of the German texts on this move. The Roma version, as well as the English translation (which is based off the Roma version) mention a half hew, but in the attached screenshot taken from one of the Mair versions, it specifically mentions an unterhau in the same spot that the half hew is found (thank you Jake for noticing the placement).

How did it become a half hew? What does someone much better versed in German think about this?
You can find me on Facebook and YouTube.

Jake Norwood

Re: Pseudo Peter von Danzig's Verkehrer (half-hew)

Postby Jake Norwood » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:28 am

I think the better question is, what's a half hew, and does it happen to look a lot like an unterhau?
Jake Norwood
Capital KDF
xKDF Network
YouTube Channel: DerAltenFechter

korzalm

Re: Pseudo Peter von Danzig's Verkehrer (half-hew)

Postby korzalm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:58 pm

My interpretation:

The Half-hew is an "Unter Zwerch Hau" that can also be understood as an inverted Unterhau (short edge). I don't think Mair is related to PvD in that matter. PvD refers to Verke[h]rer as inverting the blade while Ringeck and P.H. Mair refer to it as the reversion of the opponent (backwards) by the elbow. Ringeck says the Inverter comes from the Zwerchhau, so I don't know why he doesn't tell us to do some type of Zwerchhau instead of telling to Oberhau or Unterhau first. He also tells to invert the point from Schrankhut in his additional teachings. So I think the Verkehrer relates to both blade and opponent inversions. You also see the verb flexed (i.e. verkerter) referring to other things like inverted hands etc.

Nuremberg Hausbuch says that all strikes come from Unter and Oberhau (translation by Thomas Stoeppler):
…Also know that there are only two strikes all others are
based upon. And these are the Oberhau (strike from above)
and the Unterhau (strike from below) from both sides, which
are the main strikes and the foundation if all other strikes.

Cory Winslow's translation from Pseudo von Danzig Half-hew:
Gloss: Mark, the Inverter is called “the half-hew” or “the
turned-hew” by fencers. Therewith one forces the man, so that
he may Run-through him and grasp him with wrestling. Drive
that thus: When you go to him with the pre-fencing, then go
before with your left foot and hew the half hew with inverted
long edge from the right side, each and every, up and down,
with your left foot. Afterwards you have come to him, and as
quickly as you bind on his sword, then Meanwhile hang the
point in above and stab in to his face. If he parries the stab and
drives high up with his arms, then Run-through him.

Mair describes the Verkehrer as turning the opponent backwards by the elbow in ms. Vienna (translated by Keith P. Myers):
[84] A Strike with a Verkerer (Inverter)
When you come to the opponent at the closing and he is opposite you, strike high to his head.
If he then strikes a high one towards you like this, displace this and immediately step inward with your right foot in front of his right. Release your left hand from your sword and thrust against his right elbow. Set your long edge upon his right hand near his sword and shove away from you. Thus you spin him around (as in illustration).

His heading (and description) in the Munich Latin version also says "reversing the opponent":
ICTUS ET HABITUS EX QUO POTERIS ADVERSARIUM CONVERTERE

Then he describes how to Invert from Unterhau:
[85] A Verkerer with an Ansetzen
When you come together at the closing stand with your right foot forward and strike with the Underhaw long to his left side such that your hilt stands in front of your head.
If he strikes one towards you like this and you stand with your right foot forward, displace this and then immediately release your right hand from your sword and set it upon his right elbow (as in illustration).

Ringeck describes Verkehrer from Oberhau or Unterhau (translated by Christian Trosclair):
(...) you shall also execute the play when you bind on
his sword with an under- or over-cut. So invert your sword
such that your thumb comes-under and thrust him above to
the face
So you overwhelm him such that he must parry, and in the
parrying, seize his right elbow with your left hand and spring
with the left foot in front of his right, and shove him over (as
stands pictured hereafter next to this)(...)

Ringeck tells to execute the Verkehrer with the point from Schrankhut in his additinal teachings:
Or execute the inverter into his face with the point,
and when he binds-on to you, so strengthen with the long
edge and [you] may execute any plays which are afore named
in the striking.

Silly note: I'm having fun with the formatting but don't know how to cite with the authors name inside ("Ringeck said...)
Samuel Arantes

Return to “Research & Techniques”