Ringeck's Additional glossa transcription

Discussions about manual study, translations, philology, historical research, and similar topics.
korzalm

Ringeck's Additional glossa transcription

Postby korzalm » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:11 pm

Greetings,

Do you guys know if and where I could get Glasgow's or maybe Rostock's additional glossa transcriptions?
I'm translating Ringeck into Portuguese (about to finish the draft) and other texts would help. I see the transcription on Hammaborg's page but it seems Wiktenauer is still missing Glasgow's and Rostock's texts corresponding to Dresden's folios 55v-59v, isn't it?

PS: On a second look at the wiktenauer's Dresden page I see that folios 55v-59v were not surely authored by Ringeck. Now I see why the language was a bit different and harder to understand. Still, can you tell me if there's another text similiar to these folios?

TIA
Samuel Arantes

Tea Kew

Re: Ringeck's Additional glossa transcription

Postby Tea Kew » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:37 am

Most of the material you're after doesn't seem to be by Ringeck at all.

All that we can (reasonably securely) attribute to him are four pieces:

A blossfechten gloss (Ms.Dresd.C.487 10v-48v).
A kampffechten gloss (Ms.Dresd.C.487 88r-108r).
A rossfechten gloss (Ms.Dresd.C.487 109r-121v).
A set of additional blossfechten techniques (Ms.Dresd.C.487 49r-54r).

The remaining material in C.487 isn't by Ringeck at all, and so there's certainly no reason to expect we would find it again in other MS which contain pieces of Ringeck's glosses. This includes the anonymous fragments on 55-59v. As far as I can tell, this material appears nowhere but in C.487, so you won't be able to find an alternative version.

One useful tip: When you're on a Wiktenauer manuscript page, you can tell whether content appears in just one MS or whether it's a treatise that has been copied into several by looking at how it's linked. Material in just one MS will be present in the page, with an arrow you click to expand it. Material in several MS will not be on that page, and instead you get to it by clicking a link in the page range.

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Re: Ringeck's Additional glossa transcription

Postby Michael Chidester » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:59 am

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Return to “Research & Techniques”