Training an Unsupported Style

Discussions about manual study, translations, philology, historical research, and similar topics.
D Phillip D

Training an Unsupported Style

Postby D Phillip D » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Sorry if this is improper in any way. This is my first post.

So, I have been studying different styles of HEMA and learning through YouTubers who are fencing masters, or channels belonging to schools (Matt Easton, Ilka Hartikainen, Blood and Iron, etc.), for quite a while. When I lost my last job, I was forced to quit taking the Longsword lessons I was before, though I'll be looking to take up practicing Fiore again soon.

But my dilemma is that I have become fascinated with Bolognese Sidesword. The weapon has taken its place as my favorite sword and the style itself seems very appealing from what I've been exposed to.

That being said, I live in Eugene, Oregon, and the only school in the area teaches Fiore Dei Liberi's Longsword exclusively. What would you suggest I do to learn this style of swordsmanship? Moving elsewhere is not an option.

Thank you!

Sean Karp

Re: Training an Unsupported Style

Postby Sean Karp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:06 am

Have you contacted the local SCA community and seen if anyone is doing Cut & Thrust with that style?
"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent

Return to “Research & Techniques”