What up?

Athena School of Arms is a Boston area group that trains Historical European Martial Arts.
Christian Trosclair
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: What up?

Postby Christian Trosclair » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 am

Alright, random grammatik ranting.

Subjunctive mood in english takes a plural verb. ...If I were...not If I was...

Umm, My modern German has been mutilated by the fechtbuch's, but I seem to remember the plural of Bruder as Bruedern. (I'm not bothering to dig up the umlaut)

And to carry on with Andreas, there is sadly no verb in English that means `to tell the truth`. We've got tons for lying. The closest I could come up with is `Varicate` which was as far as I can tell never a word truly in its own usage. The running down the Indo-European tree, the only word that I have been able to find that fits that meaning is `sat` in Sanskrit which is the verb `to be`... and only in certain contexts. `Troth` is another possibility, but I was never satisfied with what I researched.

As far as y'all is concerned, the jury is still out. I can't say that i've ever heard Y'all used in the singular...and I'm from and have lived in the deep south all of my life. I personally subscribe to the idea that it arose from the scots-irish and was taken up by the africans, but that's just an educated hunch, not pure research.

Kunstbronies wins.

-xn

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 am

Christian Trosclair wrote:Subjunctive mood in english takes a plural verb. ...If I were...not If I was...

That's just a linguistic artifact. Other than the wildly irregular verb "to be", the conjugations of the subjunctive mood in English are identical to those of the indicative mood, effectively removing it from the language.

Christian Trosclair wrote:As far as y'all is concerned, the jury is still out. I can't say that i've ever heard Y'all used in the singular...and I'm from and have lived in the deep south all of my life.

My Southern is a jumble formed from spending time in Kentucky, Missouri, Utah, and having had a lot of friends from all over the South. Thus, when my accent comes out it's not really representative of any specific region. I suppose, though, that when "y'all" is used to address a single person there's generally an implication of "you plus other people who I haven't defined."
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Martin Grover

Postby Martin Grover » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:02 pm

You could open up a chapter in Jamaica and call it "Kunstbwuddaahs"!

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:24 am

Zombie thread!

Christian Trosclair wrote:And to carry on with Andreas, there is sadly no verb in English that means `to tell the truth`. We've got tons for lying. The closest I could come up with is `Varicate` which was as far as I can tell never a word truly in its own usage. The running down the Indo-European tree, the only word that I have been able to find that fits that meaning is `sat` in Sanskrit which is the verb `to be`... and only in certain contexts. `Troth` is another possibility, but I was never satisfied with what I researched.

aver - to allege as a fact

Pretty close... it's mostly used for law contexts.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member
Krieg School of Historical Fencing, a HEMAA group

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 am

Avow.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 am

Avow doesn't necessarily mean a truthful statement, does it? Isn't it more like an open declaration?

He's avowing = he's openly stating
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member
Krieg School of Historical Fencing, a HEMAA group

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Return to “Athena School of Arms”