Venue Search

This forum is for the 6 clubs that participated in our last event to help create the next one. Anyone else that plans to attend is welcome to participate here.
Jonathan Mayshar

Venue Search

Postby Jonathan Mayshar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:05 pm

Prentice worked out because it saved us money and we got lucky on the weather, but it's already too small. I think we need at least 3 good-sized separated practice areas, and more is better. One thing to keep in mind is that the total attendance size requires a certain number of simultaneous activities in order not to overfill a seminar. I had only planned to teach 1 class, but I added 2 at the last minute because we had so many late registrations and it looked like we really needed to divide every block into 3. (And I didn't think it would be right to ask another instructor at the 11th hour.) So the question is not "how many seminars do we want?" It's "how many people will come, and do we have the space and leadership to keep them happy?"

General location considerations:

I don't think we should concern ourselves short-term with anything about the location other than the value of the venue itself, providing that it's not in a "bad area." Long term, if we want this to grow, we should look for a California vacation destination area (sorry Inland Empire guys). That leaves us options from LA to SD, and right now we're pretty widely spread out. I think that OC made the most sense for #1, and it's nice to not make anyone drive from LA to SD or vice versa, but I don't think that argument is strong enough to keep us from a broad venue search.
Jonathan Mayshar
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

Vincent Stoy
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Venue Search

Postby Vincent Stoy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:48 am

How about the OC county fairground? http://www.ocfair.com/ocf2/docs/15Rate-Sheet-5_20.pdf

Return to “SoCal HEMA Event Planning”