Wiktenauer Fundraiser 2015

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Wiktenauer Fundraiser 2015

Postby Michael Chidester » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:08 pm

The 2015 Wiktenauer Fundraiser is live! Help us raise money to cover our server cost and purchase new manual scans. We have ten exciting manuscript acquisitions lined up if we can get funding, and a variety of awesome perks for donors that we think you'll enjoy.

This year we're partnering with Indiegogo to give you more payment options and help us coordinate our efforts. You can read our full pitch here:

http://igg.me/p/2015-wiktenauer-fundrai ... /x/1789830

So tell everyone you know!

Image: HAB Cod. guelf. 78. 2. Aug. 2º, folio 2r. Scanned with Wiktenauer funding July, 2014.

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Michael Chidester

Re: Wiktenauer Fundraiser 2015

Postby Michael Chidester » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:10 pm

In our first day we shattered our initial goal of $1,500 for server fees and are now well into our stretch goals. We've so far received funding to scan:

The Nuremberg Hausbuch (MS. 3227a). This late 14th century German commonplace book includes the oldest known treatises on the fencing teachings of Johannes Liechtenauer, written by an unknown fencer that we call pseudo-Döbringer. It also includes treatises on a variety of weapons including staff, sword and buckler, messer, dagger, wrestling, and an addendum to Liechtenauer's longsword by four other masters.

Girolamo Cavalcabo's original Italian manuscript (Ms. Italien 1527). The treatise of Cavalcabo, one of the last Bolognese masters, is mostly only known from the French translation made by Jacques de Villamont in the 1590s and, to a lesser extent, the German translation made in the 1610s by Conrad von Einsidell. Whether the original manuscript differs from these translations in any significant way is currently unknown.

Paride del Pozzo's famous treatise on dueling laws and customs in the Mediterranean world was first published in Latin in 1476. In the 1500s it was translated to Italian and Spanish and reprinted over a dozen times. Then in 1580 Thomas Bedingfield created an English translation that was never published (Ms. V.b.104). This manuscript should be an invaluable tool in translating the dense legalistic text into contemporary English and helping us understand the context of our fencing.

The Jud Lew Fechtbuch (Cod. I.6.4.3), produced in the 1450s, is a key text in the early Liechtenauer tradition. It is roughly coeval with the more well-known Starhemberg Fechtbuch (Cod. 44.A.8), and contains the earliest known version of the alternative branch of the pseudo-Danzig gloss. It also contains copies of various other treatises that are among the earliest known.

Our next goal is the 1580 treatise of Giovanni Antonio Lovino (Ms. Italien 959), a beautifully illustrated work covering a variety of weapons including the rapier (with secondary weapons) and the greatsword.

We'll be able to release this one into the wild if we can reach the $3000 mark. Please keep the donations coming!
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:14 pm

And we have $3,000! With 200% funding, we'll now be able to release into the wild a fifth manuscript, the 1580 treatise of Giovanni Antonio Lovino (MS Italien 959). This is a beautifully illustrated work covering a variety of weapons including the rapier (with secondary weapons) and the greatsword.

Next up is the treatise of Bolognese master Angelo Viggiani dal Montone, which he completed a year before his death in 1552. Following his instructions, his brother waited 15 years before creating a gorgeous presentation manuscript of the treatise (Cod. 10723) for Maximilian II (King of the Romans and future Holy Roman Emperor). The treatise later saw print in 1575, but this is the original.

Scratchy black and white photocopies of this manuscript have been available for years, but if we can reach the $3,700 mark then we'll be able to have it scanned in color and made available to all.

Please keep the donations coming!
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:16 pm

Now passing the $3,700 mark, in two days you've donated more that you did in the full two weeks last year! At this funding level, we'll now be able to purchase scans of the manuscript of Bolognese master Angelo Viggiani dal Montone (Cod. 10723), which he completed a year before his death in 1552.

Our next target is the second-oldest French treatise on swordsmanship, the ca. 1580s manuscript of Captain Peloquin. The original is sadly lost, but a copy made before 1609 survives (Ms. KB.73.J.39). Peloquin's treatise has the strangest abstract art of any fencing manuscript I've ever seen, and will be an excellent addition to our collection.

We can buy these scans if we reach $4,800. Please keep the donations coming!
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:51 am

Overnight we blew right past $4800, so we will be acquiring scans of the second-oldest French treatise on swordsmanship, the ca. 1580s manuscript of Captain Peloquin. The original is sadly lost, but a copy made before 1609 survives (Ms. KB.73.J.39). Peloquin's treatise has the strangest abstract art of any fencing manuscript I've ever seen, and will be an excellent addition to our collection.

Next on the block is the oldest known manuscript by Hans Talhoffer (Ms. Chart. A. 558), created for his personal use in ca. 1443. An incomplete low-quality black and white facsimile was produced by Gustav Hergsell in 1889, but the complete manuscript has never before been available. Apart from Talhoffer's own writings, this manuscript includes a treatise on divination by Johannes Hartlieb, the oldest known version of Ott the Jew's wrestling treatise, and a brief war book.

We can buy these scans if we reach $6,400. Please keep the donations coming! Insquequo omnes gratuiti sint.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:55 pm

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2015 ... /x/1789830

After holding steady at a frustrating $6395 for like six hours, we've finally crossed the threshold and will be acquiring scans of Hans Talhoffer's 1443 Fechtbuch (Ms. Chart. A. 558). So, good news.

And now for the bigger news. After some deliberation, I've decided to change course mid-stream. It hasn't set right with me that our two biggest manuscript expenses should both be manuscripts of the same treatise. Obviously the Copenhagen Fabris is a masterpiece that we would love to lay hands on; given that, I'm going to open up the ninth stretch goal.

Of the several manuscripts that I inquired about in the leadup to the fundraiser but was not able to line up in time, two stand out as costing roughly the same as the Hague Fabris. The post-fundraiser questionnaire will include a question about which of the three manuscripts you the donors would like us to purchase. Here are the options:

1 - The Hague version of Salvator Fabris' famous rapier treatise (MS KB.73.J.38), as previously planned. This manuscript was written some time before 1609 and contains an incomplete version of Fabris work, but has lovely hand-painted illustrations.

B - A manuscript by Freifechter Lienhart Sollinger entitled "Maister Liechtenawers Kunstbuech" (Cgm 3712). This extensive 16th century manuscript contains treatises by a variety of masters in the Liechtenauer tradition, and concludes with a presentation of Jörg Wilhalm Hutter's 1520s treatises and a series of uncaptioned sword and buckler illustrations from the quasi-I.33 series. Black and white scans are currently available, but we'd love to see it in color.

IV - The fencing manual of Master of the Long Sword and three-time Captain of the Marxbrueder Fencing Guild Antonius Rast (Reichsstadt "Schätze" Nr. 82). Possibly based on Codex Wallerstein (with revised text) as well as a variety of other writings, this gorgeously-illustrated manuscript is one we'd dearly love to have. In fact, it's been on our list for years now, but previously we didn't have the funding and last year the Augsburg State Archive was undergoing renovations and had put a freeze on new orders. If this option is chosen, we'll order the scans as soon as they conclude.

We can buy one of these sets of scans if we reach $8,500. Please keep the donations coming! Insquequo omnes gratuiti sint.

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:17 pm

And with a sixth sponsor locked in, we've now exceeded $8500! We will be purchasing one of the three manuals discussed in the last announcement, still to be determined (the Hague Fabris, the Munich Sollinger, or Antonius Rast). Way to close out the first week strong, donors!

We're now on to our final stretch goal, scans of the beautiful and important manuscript by Salvator Fabris, currently in Copenhagen (Ms. GKS 1868/r). This elaborate three-volume work was completed by Fabris in 1601 for Johan Frederik, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp, shortly before he left the ducal court to serve as fencing master to King Christianus IV of Denmark. It's unclear based on the descriptions available whether this is a presentation copy of the book he would publish in 1606, or if it was a prototype for that book (which implies the possibility of additional teachings that were dropped from the finished work).

This manuscript has thus far been unavailable to students of HEMA due to the extreme expense of getting it scanned. Even for the average resolution scans that we're ordering the Royal Library is asking 15,700 dkk (roughly $2,500). The 300 dpi archival quality scans that we initially asked for would come at a princely sum of over $16,000, sadly out of our reach for the foreseeable future. But even at 96 dpi, the scans will be a treasure that we'd love to have in our collection.

If we can make it to $11,500 the scans will be ours! So please keep spreading the word!
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:56 am

By the Oberste Gerechten Fechter! We just passed $11,500, which is over triple our total from last year, and the end of our current stretch goals. The Copenhagen Fabris (Ms. GKS 1868/r) will be ours!

We still have 11 days to go, but it will take me a few days to determine more stretch goals. I've got a few irons in the fire that I have yet to hear back on, and I want a definite go/no go before I abandon them in favor of the obvious choice (a second from the manuscripts mentioned in #9, Ms. KB.73.J.38, Cgm 3712, and Reichsstadt Nr. 82). Of course, Richard and the rest of the Alliance general council seem to think that some of the money should be set aside and used to defray the cost of my travel expenses as I spread the good word at events, but given the choice between free air fare and getting more manual scans, I'm inclined to choose the scans. It's not as though I get more than two or three speaking invitations a year anyway.

As before, be advised that another shortcoming of the Indiegogo platform that we've discovered is that you cannot increase a donation once made. Over the next week we'll be highlighting various of our perks; if you'd like to get a higher-level perk than the one you ordered, you will have to place a second donation to make up the difference (e.g. to upgrade from Donor III, which is $25, to Interpreter I, which is $50, you would need to make a second $25 donation). After the fundraiser ends, we'll verify with each of you which perk you want, and you'll be able to choose any perk that your total donations qualify you for.

This also applies if you mistakenly selected the wrong perk when you donated. (Caps on books will still be enforced though, since they're expensive and difficult to produce and we only plan to make about a hundred; slots remaining after the fundraiser will be allotted to people changing their perk in the order in which the original donation was received.)

As I said, feel free to keep the donations going, but I won't have new stretch goals online until Monday at the earliest. For now, let's just take a beat to consider everything we've already achieved.

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:47 pm

As donations continue to trickle in, we've just passed $12,500 (and there are still more donations that people have pledged but not yet made). Our next goal, then is to make it to $13,500, at which point we'll be able to fund the mysterious Unannounced Project.

Okay, it's not that mysterious. I just don't want to pin down our eleventh stretch goal until I hear back from two institutions, either of which would have a significant impact on our perks: the Morgan Library & Museum and the R. L. Scott Library. Cards on the table, I fully expect the answer from the Morgan to be "no" but am hopeful about the Scott. If I can line up either of these, they will take our eleventh spot. If neither library can accommodate our request, then the fallback option is that we'll choose a second manuscript from our Choose Your Own Adventure stretch goal. (A similar decision process will be used if we make it to a truly ridiculous number like 15,000.)

As before, be advised that another shortcoming of the Indiegogo platform that we've discovered is that you cannot increase a donation once made. Over the remaining days of the fundraiser we'll be highlighting various of our perks; if you'd like to get a higher-level perk than the one you initially ordered, you will have to place a second donation to make up the difference (e.g. to upgrade from Donor III, which is $25, to Interpreter I, which is $50, you would need to make a second $25 donation). You can likewise request multiple low-level perks that add up to your funding amount, if the exact combination that you want is not listed as a perk (send me any questions about that).

After the fundraiser ends, we'll verify with each of you which perk(s) you want, and you'll be able to choose anything that your total donations qualify you for. This also applies if you mistakenly selected the wrong perk when you donated. (Caps on books will still be enforced though, since they're expensive and difficult to manufacture and we only plan to make about a hundred; if there's not enough to go around, slots remaining after the fundraiser will be allotted to people changing their perk in the order in which the original donation was received.)

As a final note, several people have asked about donating through PayPal. This is a problem that we didn't foresee--one of the big reasons we went to a crowd-funding platform this year is that we wanted to expand payment options (since last year some people didn't like using PayPal), but after we started we discovered that Indiegogo only allows nonprofits to accept credit cards. But FEAR NOT! The donation button at the bottom of the sidebar on every Wiktenauer page still works, and if you donate through PayPal you just need to let me know which perk you want to claim and I'll make it happen.

Thank you all for your support, we've already achieved more than I thought possible two weeks ago!

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Return to “Wiktenauer Discussion Forum”