Wiktenauer Feedback

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Wiktenauer Feedback

Postby Michael Chidester » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Good morning, Scholars.

Work on the Wiktenauer continues as usual. We're currently working on adding Paulus Hector Mair to the index, and the extent to which he reproduced and interpreted earlier treatises means that we've been pushed into a consolidation phase. As I've been cleaning up and expanding articles, and updating everything to the newest standards, I've been curious for some feedback. I'm not a professional editor or web designer, I just play one on the internet. Wiktenauer is designed according to my aesthetic tastes and laid out in the same fashion as my research notes with only slightly more polish. If you could change anything about the wiki, what would it be?

This is not really a question about what additional content you'd like to see (though feel free to post that as well if you like, I don't have a very specific timeline for future projects at the moment). I'm more interested at the moment in changes you'd like to see in the content we already have.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Wiktenauer Feedback

Postby Richard Marsden » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:53 am

Hard to complain really. I like how its set up Wiki-style, and has, as in the case of Fiore, all the translations, images and more. So far, you find a master, click on a weapon system and 'tada' there it is.

Sorry I can't provide anything meaningful at the moment. A 'wish' list of mine would be more video for all techniques, but I understand that gets into various modern-day-people's interpretations.

Jeremiah Smith
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jeremiah Smith » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:38 am

Hmmm As you know (hopefully) I love the site, as it stands I feel like its wonderful.
Something that would maybe be on my wishlist is a forward and back page viewing option for the scans themselves. I know its not really wiki style and maybe impossible in this format. I also know that for a good portion of the manuals that have the subsequent scans online you can do this on the museum, or library website. but it would be cool to be able to do it right from the manuals wiki page though.
again it might just be high hopes, but personally I love to look at the scans of a manual front to back to see how the masters laid them out

$.02
Salt Lake City, Study group leader
True Edge Academy
http://www.trueedgeacademy.com/
Member HEMA Alliance

Alex B

Postby Alex B » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:28 am

I've only got the one complaint. Whenever I try to open up a scan from Talhoffer's 1467 (Cod.icon.394a), the page it takes me to is always the front cover of the manuscript, not the folio that I tried opening.

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:01 am

Jeremiah Smith wrote:Hmmm As you know (hopefully) I love the site, as it stands I feel like its wonderful.
Something that would maybe be on my wishlist is a forward and back page viewing option for the scans themselves. I know its not really wiki style and maybe impossible in this format. I also know that for a good portion of the manuals that have the subsequent scans online you can do this on the museum, or library website. but it would be cool to be able to do it right from the manuals wiki page though.
again it might just be high hopes, but personally I love to look at the scans of a manual front to back to see how the masters laid them out

$.02

I'm not sure if that feature can be implemented on a wiki. I'll research it.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 am

Alex B wrote:I've only got the one complaint. Whenever I try to open up a scan from Talhoffer's 1467 (Cod.icon.394a), the page it takes me to is always the front cover of the manuscript, not the folio that I tried opening.

Yes, I noticed this a week ago. At some point recently, possibly during the upgrades a week or two ago, the museum seems to have added an additional variable to the individual image links, and without it they automatically forward to the first page. I haven't had a chance to update the wiki yet, but it'll get done soon.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Jeremiah Smith
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jeremiah Smith » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:36 pm

yeah I don't think it can be either, more of a musing then a wish really. I am fine with the way it is now
True Edge Academy
Member HEMA Alliance

Ben Michels
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Ben Michels » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Jeremiah Smith wrote:

yeah I don't think it can be either, more of a musing then a wish really. I am fine with the way it is now

It can be, once I figure out how to get it working. I'll try some more tomorrow.

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Once we get it up and running, I'll do a proof of concept that satisfies me and then you'll be in charge of implementing it across the wiki, Jeremiah. It's a good idea, but I simply don't have time to make it happen right now.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Jeremiah Smith
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jeremiah Smith » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 am

ok sounds good
True Edge Academy