New Ludwig von Eyb scans

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

New Ludwig von Eyb scans

Postby Michael Chidester » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:09 pm

For those who don't follow Wiktenauer on Facebook, the UBE has just informed me this morning that digital scans of the Ludwig von Eyb Kriegsbuch (one of the German texts that parallel Fiore) are now available through their site. I'll be updating the wiki accordingly when I get back from my trip. A lovely transcription of the section of this text on fencing is available from Barbara Kappelmayr and Andreas Meier through the Gesellschaft für pragmatische Schriftlichkeit, and James Wallhausen will be releasing an English translation soon. Enjoy.

http://bvbm1.bib-bvb.de/webclient/Deliv ... id=4555786

(Also, you should start following Wiktenauer on FB or G+. Most announcements I make only go out through those two services.)
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Nihil Aven

Re: New Ludwig von Eyb scans

Postby Nihil Aven » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Oh this is most glorious! Many thank yous to them for making this available!
Nihil Aven

Societati Scolarium Liberatis

"Preservation, Practice, Proliferation"

Nihil Aven

Postby Nihil Aven » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:49 pm

And of course, a big thanks to you, Mr Chidester, for sharing it here. Otherwise we'd never know about it :)
Nihil Aven

Societati Scolarium Liberatis

"Preservation, Practice, Proliferation"

Jeffrey Hull

Postby Jeffrey Hull » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Indeed, as I have said before elswhere and elsewhen regarding Chidester's work on Von Eyb : It deserves work-of-the-year along with Wallhausen's Meister Beringois work. It is thus one of the most exciting and useful works to premiere this year for the benefit of Historical Fencing.

That said, and as I must say considering how the Modern Italianated Fencing Community has met the new Herr von Eyb revelations relevant to Maestro Furlano with deafening silence if not outright contempt:

This is now the moment for you to learn German and read and learn from Herr von Eyb. You may now either validate or invalidate your modern intrepretations by virtue of his evident authentic insights for the Italian swordsmanship of Maestro Furlano. This is for your own good and the good of the Art.

If this were a game of D&D, you would be the PCs "disbelieving" the Red Dragon as an illusion, whilst the DM simply says "Okay..." and rolls multiple d20s to figure out the damage you get nonetheless from its fire-breathing attack.

Return to “Wiktenauer Discussion Forum”