Newly digitized book thread

Jeffrey Hull

Re: Newly digitized book thread

Postby Jeffrey Hull » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:08 pm

1. That PDF does not open up via latest Adobe Reader.

2. Why not just make a PDF of MS XIX.17-3 (which is likely circa 1450) instead of MS KK5342, since MS KK5342 is decried as a copy thereof?

3. I use the academic droid designations of those works under protest.

:ugeek:

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:00 am

Jeffrey Hull wrote:1. That PDF does not open up via latest Adobe Reader.

I just opened it in Adobe Reader XI and PDF Exchange, and it was created in Acrobat X. What sort of error are you getting?

Jeffrey Hull wrote:2. Why not just make a PDF of MS XIX.17-3 (which is likely circa 1450) instead of MS KK5342, since MS KK5342 is decried as a copy thereof?

1. Because the Koenigsegg images are only nominally public domain (since the book that contained them was not) and I don't feel comfortable claiming ownership of them.

2. I only make PDFs when I know that the only rights involved are my own (this is a book in the public domain containing a facsimile of a manuscript in the public domain which I personally scanned, like the others I've released).

3. The Koenigsegg images can be bulk downloaded in their current home, so the same end is served.

Jeffrey Hull wrote:3. I use the academic droid designations of those works under protest.

You can also just call them the Ambraser Codex and the Koenigsegg Fechtbuch. :)
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Jeffrey Hull

Postby Jeffrey Hull » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 pm

MC thanks for answering all the questions, and as I should have already stated, thanks for your scholarly work. :geek:

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks, Jeff.

And if you (or anyone else) has a request for texts you'd like to see scanned, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I've nailed most of the low-hanging fruit--the public domain-era facsimiles that I know of and the 16th century illustrated books that aren't available in color elsewhere--at this stage, so I'm open to suggestions. At the moment, I plan on viewing Pedro Monte's De Dignoscendis Hominibus soon and getting at least a few images (depending on the facilities at the medical library and the condition of the book), and I'll probably take a look at Johann Jacobi von Wallhausen's books and see if the illustrations merit photographing (no scanners in that library). (I also intend to pay a visit to Brown University in RI when the library that holds Viggiani reopens, but that's not until the fall of this year.) Beyond that, I have no further book plans.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Christian Trosclair
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Christian Trosclair » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Exciting!

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:36 pm

Last night I scanned the transcription of Jehan L'Hermite's description of his instruction by Pablo de Paredes in 1599, including 12 rules for the Montante. The description is in French, except for the rules themselves which are in Spanish. This was my first attempt at embedding a transcription into a PDF, so let me know if it didn't work out right and I'll upload the transcription separately.

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/File:Jehan_L ... 599%29.pdf

As always, I release any rights as creator these scans and their transcription and return them as fully as legally possible to the public domain. See the attached creative commons deed for details. Insquequo omnes gratuiti sint.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Return to “Wiktenauer Discussion Forum”