HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Fiore on the Wiktenauer!

Postby Richard Marsden » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:13 pm

I be happy.

Kody Tench
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Kody Tench » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:22 pm

OMG a new dagger section :D yay :D THANK YOU!!!
Blood for Blood and Azphelpenumbra.

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Keith P. Myers » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:07 am

Looks great Michael! Almost makes we wish I was a Fiorist! ;)
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:52 am

Thanks guys.

I should also mention that I've implemented a new feature in the wiki beginning with this article: For ease of reference, all of Fiore's plays are now numbered according to their position in the big composite. This will be used internally on the wiki whenever we need to make reference to a play--everyone knows what I mean if I say "False Point", but there hasn't been an easy way to refer to unnamed plays without launching into a technical description or trying to describe its location in one of the four manuscripts. Saying the "37th play of the longsword" (or SITH 37) is much neater. Also, with the big composite a lot of Fiore's own notations like "the previous play" or "the fourth play of the poleaxe" become pretty meaningless if the order has to be changed based on other versions (when the PD mentions the 4th play of the axe, it's referring to the 5th play in the composite because the Getty has an extra). The translation will include numbers in brackets after all of these mentions indicating which play is meant.

Every big composite runs into similar problems, so this will be expanded to the other master pages as time permits. This should also be a useful reference for the technique pages, allowing readers to instantly orient the text within the larger treatises they're drawn from.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Okay, I decided that I may as well add my translation of the horse fighting from the Pisani-Dossi and the Morgan (advised by the Getty). There's a lot of important content in that section, and it didn't feel right leaving it empty.

I should emphasize that all of my translation on this page are very rough drafts, basically just translating the text directly and then reading it through once to make sure it's coherent. I apologize in advance for any errors that I overlooked in this version, but--with the exception of one or two sentences that puzzle me--I'm confident that it's all quite accurate.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Any epiphanies to share?

Michael Chidester

Postby Michael Chidester » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:12 pm

Other than the fact that this is another section where the Morgan is superior to the Getty? I dunno. If you're interested in the sword in one hand, the mounted fencing is required reading. It is also the only place that explains the three crossings (and only in the Morgan), which is fundamental to many of Fiore's teachings. And it's the only place where the play of Coda Longa gets any attention.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Return to “Wiktenauer Discussion Forum”