*Introducing the "Wiktenauer"

adminteam
Site Admin

*Introducing the "Wiktenauer"

Postby adminteam » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Wiktenauer is a project begun by Ben Michels of Maryland Kunst Des Fechtens, and The HEMA Alliance is pleased to make this a priority project. Wiktenauer is currently housed on the MKDF website here:
http://marylandkdf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
but will move with the Alliance when we select an upgraded web-host.

Like all HEMA Alliance learning resources, Wiktenauer belongs to the community and requires community input. Please contact Ben at Ben.Michels@hemaalliance.com to help.

For those who may not be familiar with wikis, they are a platform for multiple editor collaboration, but not all Wiktenauer material will be available for editing. If you want to lend a final-draft research paper to the Wiktenauer collection, that's fine too, and we appreciate it. Again, contact Ben.Michels@hemaalliance.com.

It should be noted that while we fully support the vast educational potential of Wiktenauer, we realize that a wiki is not the best solution for every form of media and research. Wiktenauer will ultimately be integrated with HEMAD, the HEMA Database.

Below is the beginning of Ben's introduction to Wiktenauer.

The Wiktenauer is, in its pure form, a HEMA information dump. Every technique mentioned in the manuals does or will have a page. Every page will eventually show all of the text from the manuals, including pictures, transcription and translation that is relevant to that technique. Basically, one should be able to view a technique of their choice and view all of the source information in one place.

Visit Wiktenauer for more!
http://marylandkdf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Jonathan Mayshar

Re: Introducing the "Wiktenauer"

Postby Jonathan Mayshar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi Ben,

My local club, Kron Martial Arts, is having a planning meeting next weekend. We have already discussed developing a ranking system which we hope will ultimately fit within the HEMA Alliance's certification program, and in these discussions the consensus has been that we will require some research for each of our ranks. I plan to vote that contribution to Wiktenauer be a required form of this research. To this end, it would be helpful if you could break down needed tasks into groups, and have some tasks that would be both accessible to and educational for beginners.
Jonathan Mayshar
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

Ben Michels
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Ben Michels » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Jonathan Mayshar wrote:Hi Ben,

To this end, it would be helpful if you could break down needed tasks into groups, and have some tasks that would be both accessible to and educational for beginners.

I think I can handle this. I'm finding quite a bit of the work I'm doing (as a relative newbie with source material) to be educational and fairly basic.

John Harmston
Site Admin

Postby John Harmston » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:10 pm

Jonathan Mayshar wrote:Hi Ben,

My local club, Kron Martial Arts, is having a planning meeting next weekend. We have already discussed developing a ranking system which we hope will ultimately fit within the HEMA Alliance's certification program, and in these discussions the consensus has been that we will require some research for each of our ranks. I plan to vote that contribution to Wiktenauer be a required form of this research. To this end, it would be helpful if you could break down needed tasks into groups, and have some tasks that would be both accessible to and educational for beginners.

That's a great idea, Jonathan.
John Harmston
Senior Instructor - True Edge Academy
HEMA Alliance Forum Admin
Lifetime Member, HEMA Alliance

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Re: Introducing the "Wiktenauer"*

Postby Michael Chidester » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:55 pm

I've been doing some work on this project this weekend, and Ben has approved the result as the new standard for manual pages.

http://www.marylandkdf.com/wiki/index.p ... _-_Goliath

There is still a lot of formatting work to get done, and a lot of useful material from Wikipedia and elsewhere that can be ported over and improved. I encourage everyone to get involved--pulling a Wikipedia article across and cleaning it up only takes about 5-10 minutes, but provides a platform for a lot more work to happen later.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Jake Norwood

Postby Jake Norwood » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:24 am

That looks bleedin' fantastic, Mike. Wow.

This is so cool!

Okay, nothing else to add. I'm just impressed.

Jake
Jake Norwood
Capital KDF
xKDF Network
YouTube Channel: DerAltenFechter

Matt Anderson

Postby Matt Anderson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:59 am

Michael Chidester wrote:I've been doing some work on this project this weekend, and Ben has approved the result as the new standard for manual pages.

http://www.marylandkdf.com/wiki/index.p ... _-_Goliath

There is still a lot of formatting work to get done, and a lot of useful material from Wikipedia and elsewhere that can be ported over and improved. I encourage everyone to get involved--pulling a Wikipedia article across and cleaning it up only takes about 5-10 minutes, but provides a platform for a lot more work to happen later.

That is sweet. This has got to be one of the coolest web-based HEMA projects ever.
Matt Anderson
Ridgecrest Historical Fencing Club
HEMA Alliance Affiliate

"He is a brave man who fights his own weaknesses."
-Hanko Dobringer, 1389

Ben Michels
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Ben Michels » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:05 am

Micheal's work on Goliath made it look a LOT better. As he said, most of the work that currently needs to be done on the Wiktenauer is formatting and copying content from noted sources/Wikipedia... it doesn't require any familiarity with medieval languages and can be contributed to in very short periods of time.

Thanks, Micheal!

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:47 am

When formatting a manual for study, I don't consider my work done until it's sexy as well as functional. I guess I'm carrying that philosophy over to the Wiktenauer now.
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Ben Michels
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Ben Michels » Fri May 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Wiktenauer Update

Well, the Wiktenauer has been chugging along since I first announced it late last year. That makes it time for an update post. There wasn't much beneficial to the community going on those first few months as I just tried to organize things. We still are not finished organizing and definitely are not anywhere near content completion, but there is actual useful content on the wiki now!

First, the Wiktenauer is now under the domain http://www.wiktenauer.com. Any old links to http://www.marylandkdf.com/wiki do not need to be changed... they still function for some reason unknown to me.

Second, the wiki became a project priority for the Historical European Martial Arts Alliance (http://www.hemaalliance.com) a few months back. Officially, it is now a free service project sponsored by the HEMA Alliance. I will still function as 'project lead'.

Third, I wanted to explain the new organizational system. Originally, I was going to simply have a page for each manual. It was pointed out to me that this was highly inefficient as many manuals are either copies of each other or are compendiums of works found in multiple books. Due to this, we now have 'Master' pages as well as 'Manual' pages. The manual pages, such as http://www.wiktenauer.com/wiki/1440s_-_Codex_Ringeck_%28MS_Dresd._C_487%29, show an overview of the manual and contains links to the various master pages where applicable based on sections. This cuts down the work, is more succinct and allows for an easier comparison of similar writings. For instance, http://www.wiktenauer.com/wiki/Andres_Lignitzer; Ligniter's work is found in four manuals so far. Each of those works will be on one page along with English translations and, if applicable, the images (http://www.wiktenauer.com/wiki/Gladiatoria_group).

Please keep in mind that there are a lot of broken links throughout the pages; it is the nature of a wiki still being built. Please also keep in mind that fixing these links can be as simple as adding content to the linked page. There is still a lot of work to be done. Lots of content still needs to be copied and pared down from Wikipedia, many pages still need to have base formatting applied to them (please see the front page for formatting guidelines) and most of the available transcription and translation work has yet to be copied over. None of the 'technique' pages have really been started. Michael Chidester's work on the wiki over the past couple months has provided an awesome base of content to build upon. All of the current pages with major content on them come from one of his major goals of matching up the source material. Without him diving in, I may have become burnt out and lost hope by now.

The last major update is our ability to provide sub-wikis for any groups that want them. I can create namespaces on the Wiktenauer and any page created with that header will not show up on a regular search. For instance, if Maryland KDF has a project that multiple people in the group are working on, I can create a MKDF namespace. Any page with the header MKDF: will be a page under that namespace. This is a good way to quickly share and edit each other's work. Keep in mind, though, that a separate namespace is still fully public and may be reached by advanced search.

I was going to reiterate all of the other future plans for the Wiktenauer, but there is too much to complete under our current focus. If you want to help out, please do. The front page of wiki describes quick and/or easy tasks that can be completed. Otherwise, it's fairly obvious what needs to be completed. The links to scans of manuals or transcription provide easy practice for any students that want to develop the skills. It also benefits the community as a whole.

Please don't be shy about asking questions or commenting. I'm open to making it easier to use or prettier. If you tell me that a word is misspelled somewhere, though, I'll probably just smack you, tell you to create an account and wait for you to fix it yourself!

Ben Michels
Maryland KDF
HEMA Alliance Member

Return to “Wiktenauer Discussion Forum”