Polish Saber Curriculum

A forum for Polish and other Eastern European saber systems.
Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Polish Saber Curriculum

Postby Richard Marsden » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm waiting on some 'stuff' from others, but the PDF is coming along.

For this one, it'll be an eclectic approach that briefly looks at all the sources we have and all the interpretations we derived from it. Once that is done, I'll send the PDF to any who want to look it over and they can suggest changes- which in my dictatorial manner - may or may not agree to. The scope of it is a little less than what I have planned for a future project, but it should be a wonderful primer for newcomers.

We'll have (from all y'all's input)
Sources
History
Sabers
Stance
Footwork
Guards
Attacks
Techniques

Period artwork and text and much more!

As well as vendors for stuff, so we can get others involved in this.

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Keith P. Myers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:35 am

Hi Richard!

Have you considered putting this out through Lulu.com? Some people are like me.....I like books! :) If you sent me the PDF, I'd likely try and print the whole thing out. I don't know how long the file is, but sometimes that's not practical. Lulu would do the printing for us and have it finished off nicely with binding and a cover. Of course, if its only 15 or 20 pages total that isn't necessary. But it sounds like its going to be more in-depth than that! ;)
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Hey Keith there are two things I'm going to release. And I fear my answer to your query is a bit long, and could be longer! Forgive me if I am covering ground you already know.

First
An entirely FREE PDF that covers the basics and will be a few pages. This is the main drive of the project, and I want everyone involved who cares, to take a look at the PDF and say "yeah...good enough" or if they have really really strong objections, to voice them to me. I'll then judge the consensus of the group and do my best to make a collaborative project. Granted- I'm the 'leader', but I've tried hard to be open-minded and keep people satisfied, if not always agreeing with them. The PDF will be for download. The cost to me is very little! Just time and some gear and the pains of organizing the circus.

As well as the PDF I hope myself, Olek and a few others can post videos to flesh out some of the concepts within it. That's open-ended though and I'm happy for anyone to do it.

This project is for the HEMA Alliance. I'll let them place it wherever they like and do with it as they wish. FREE! I'll also reveal to the world how a collaborative project works. I've learned a lot, and would do some things different, some the same.

Second
After that, I'll put out a book on my own, with input from those I've contacted or anyone who really wants 'in'. The book will have costumes, be more in depth, have extra material, and will cost me money for printing, editing, formatting, photography, certain input, costumes, ISBNS, and so on. This book I'll put out through a printer which is a step above Lulu. If you'd like me to go into detail on the matter, just ask, but I don't want to bore people who already know how publishing works! But, if you're curious, I'll give anyone who wants it the run-down on which printer service I use, why, costs and so on.

Because the book will cost me out of pocket money, I'll have to make some decisons on how to sell it. I can do a standard HEMA style book, black and white, large, paperback. I can do a glossy, full-color, paperback. Once the manuscript is done my printer figures out what the initial book will cost, then the cost per book, which helps me set the price. I'm not in this for the money, but a full color job might be expensive now matter how generous I am on price. We'll see! I don't know the price till the product is done.

Because it's my money, printer, and so on- the book will be controled entirely by me, and bolstered by the input of others.

But- expect the free PDF much sooner! A book will take me time. I'm working on THREE right now, and believe it or not, the writing process is the easy part. Wrangling photogrpahers, aritsts, layout sorts is a nightmare!

If you are my artist, photographer, editor, or layout person and reading this- I love you. You know that. It's a good nightmare.

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Oh!

I'll send you the PDF when its done Keith. Shouldn't be too long now. I have not been idle :)

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:40 pm

The free PDF Basics Guide is 85% done.

Those whose names are on it, which means the research team that's helped me along the way, have been given the preview. They have a chance to say they are happy enough with it, pull their names if they are really that turned off by it, and provide me with last minute comments.

Kevin Maurer, your name is on it too, but you provided so much stuff! So you have no choice.

Everyone else interested.... soon soon. I wanted it done before X-mas, but i'ts not happening. I need to do some photo-work and get some last comments in before I move on. But we're close!

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Tyler is a go.

John H had some suggestions and I've worked them in. I moved footwear near the intro, stripped the sourcing in text and turned them into footnotes, broke the attacks down a bit, and double-checked to make sure I'm following the sources we have. Starzewski has some odd ideas that don't always mesh with Zablocki's drawings... me thinks Zablocki altered as he saw fit. I also slipped in the source footnotes as well for the academically minded.

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Olek chimed in, and I made some alterations.

Keith said I spelled his name wrong. Which is true. :)

He also had a lot of good advice on word-choice and emphasis.

Moving along very well. More to do, but she's happening.

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:21 am

John P will be back, and we have some costume-work to be done and ordered for the photography. We're in hurry-up an wait mode.

But, the project does march forth- and I wanted everyone to know.

Tyler Brandon
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Tyler Brandon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Good to hear it, "hurry up and wait" is not a bad place to be.
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

Long Live The Vagabond Masters!

James T. Kirk: So what kind of combat training do you have?
Hikaru Sulu: Fencing.

"Sabre is for those who aspire to be heroes" - Matt Easton

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Keith P. Myers » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:41 am

Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Return to “Polish saber”