Polish Saber Book

A forum for Polish and other Eastern European saber systems.
Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Polish Saber Book

Postby Richard Marsden » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:39 pm

There is something I could possibly use! How can I get in contact with this fellow?

Jeremy S.
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jeremy S. » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:53 pm

I can give you his CCSU email addy, but if you give me a few days and a bit of an idea what you need done I can talk to him and gauge his interest in the project. I can also offer golumki as a bribe.
Sharing my love for all things sharp and pointy
Western Swordsmanship Technique and Research
HEMA Alliance

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:50 am

@Steflik

There is a specific bit of translation work I need. In Pasek's memoirs he describes certain duels. And I use the term loosely. The translator, Catherine Leach, sometimes differentiates when swords, sabers, or rapiers are used. I'd like someone who knows their stuff to look over the excerpts I have in its native Polish and check the words sword/saber/rapier over so I have firm idea of what was being used and when. The excerpts are small, and I have them in English, but would need them in their native Polish for him to look over.

If he knows of any 17th century dueling accounts and or art of the saber in use on foot in Poland during the 17th century would be of use as well. We've gathered up what we can so far- but I'm always hopeful for more.

@all

Parisi finished his translation for me. He was eager to help and so he's in. Holzman has also helped, his work on 19th century Italian saber and the changes they were going through and why, fit in well with the context of the Starzewski material. In particular what Italians in the 19th century thought about wrist, elbow and shoulder moulinets.

Most of the material for the book is written and we will have everything from the PDF plus a lot more history, details, images and so forth. Keith is going through another round of edits.

Zupans (a slim coat that goes to the knee) are done. We are working on hats next, and possibly other gear for the historical photo-shoot part. When/where we do the photo shoot hasn't been determined yet. Outdoors in AZ with all that gear on, we may sweat too much and too fast. Indoors, we need to find a suitable place still. The original PDF photo-shoot went well, but the brick background and swords get lost at times. So, we need a more neutral bac... blah blah. You get the idea. We're making great headway though.

I'm having some friends mess around with Photoshop to help get some cover ideas. I flirted with some ideas of having a photo split, half painting half 'real', or a guy in historical costume fencing a guy in modern HEMA gear with the background different for each, or taking a photo and making it look like a 17th century sketch.

KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Richard Marsden wrote:@Steflik

There is a specific bit of translation work I need. In Pasek's memoirs he describes certain duels. And I use the term loosely. The translator, Catherine Leach, sometimes differentiates when swords, sabers, or rapiers are used. I'd like someone who knows their stuff to look over the excerpts I have in its native Polish and check the words sword/saber/rapier over so I have firm idea of what was being used and when. The excerpts are small, and I have them in English, but would need them in their native Polish for him to look over.

If he knows of any 17th century dueling accounts and or art of the saber in use on foot in Poland during the 17th century would be of use as well. We've gathered up what we can so far- but I'm always hopeful for more.

Daria might be a good person to ask about this, since she has significant amounts of knowledge and experience of precisely this context after doing the translations that she has released already!

Richard Marsden wrote:Keith is going through another round of edits.

About halfway through, should be finished in the next day or so.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website Facebook blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website Facebook

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:57 pm

I've been such a slave-driver with her as is :) If you see her, let her know I'm always lookin' for people.

Sean Kotch

Postby Sean Kotch » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Can I ask where you're getting your costuming done, Mr. Marsden?
"Wrestling is opposite of what people think it is, it is not strength but knowledge, balance, and timing, leverage and where to place the fulcrum, that's what it takes to make it to the top in the noble art of wrestling." Karl Gotch

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:40 pm

Mr. Eric Atkinson, a fellow I met at Socal is making us our costumes. He does great work and fast. We have zupans (long tunics) and now need kolpaks (hats) and possibly kontusz (decorative coats). We'll see!

Jake Norwood

Postby Jake Norwood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:42 am

Richard Marsden wrote:@Steflik

I can do this. I've got a copy of Pasek in Polish, too. Send me the excerpts at my usual email. Is two weeks quick enough?

Jake
Jake Norwood
Capital KDF
xKDF Network
YouTube Channel: DerAltenFechter

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:38 am

Will do. And we've plenty of time.

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:31 pm

We've increased our team.

Norwood helped confirm some suspicions for me. Thanks!
Some friends from Poland are supplying with me with more dueling accounts. Most are vague, but I'll try and slip them in.
Daria Izdebska is going to be dragooned with a fancy title called Lead Researcher.I need her to go over the entire work for her insight and she's done two of the big translations.
Parisi gave me his translation for Marcelli.

Zupans done, hats being made by Eric Atkinson.

Blood and Iron may provide some photo recreations of dussack plates.

Keith fired back the latest edits and we're looking good.

Some asked if I was Polish, at all, and I told them 'no'. But if I do a good enough job, I'll get adopted if the historical account I put in Scholarship and Research is any benchmark.
http://hemaalliance.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3299

Things I need

High res images of XVII century Polish sabers in color that I can print in a for-profit book. So, has to meet certain copyright restrictions.

Volunteers for photo-work. You need to have sabers of course. Period dress or modern-hema look is fine.

Return to “Polish saber”