Requirements: 1. At least 75% attendance is expected of you. In a normal 4 week month this means you are expected to be attend at least 3 of those weeks, in full attendance (no coming late or leaving early) and participating.
In the event that an emergency arises, one additional week may be missed, but a 50% attendance is required to keep the position. More than one month of 50% or less (baring emergency) attendance by prime will result in the loss of the position.
2. Ability to instruct. This means all students between beginners and advanced. You will be in charge of normal class activities including but not limited to; leading calisthenics, conducting protocol drills, judging ring fights, and doing fun things like melees, warfare, dagger wrestling, etc... You are expected to do these things only when instructed to by the head instructor, or if the instructor is busy helping someone or conducting one on one training.
3. Willingness to apply reprimands to those who break protocols. This means giving physical punishment in the form of push-ups, or other exercise units to students who conduct themselves in a manner not fitting the UCSA standards, this includes but is not limited to; unnecessary roughness, throwing a weapon out of anger, destroying yours or someone else equipment, walking through a set circle, continued inappropriate language or behavior, etc.. If the instructor sees multiple occasions where prime does not step in to act, or if the prime themselves behave as mentioned it is to the discretion of the instructor if the prime is unfit for duties.
4. Have not served as Division Prime for more than 2 previous terms.
5. The desire to gain rank. As prime it is your goal to help anyone who has questions, aid others in understanding forms and protocols, but it is also the instructors goal to see that prime is meeting any requirements they need for ranks as well. This means that during the course of being prime, the instructor will do all they can to make sure the individual who is prime gets everything they need for at least one ranks assessment, this also means that prime needs to be willing to learn these things and to assess before they are no longer prime. As such the only rank limitation to being selected for prime is a student must be at least student black, but must prove themselves capable of all the tasks listed above.
The position of prime is also responsible for being the either the primary judge for the next competition (in the case that your division is hosting), or one of the side judges (in the case that your division is not hosting), as such they will be excluded from being able to fight in that competition, but will receive points towards ranks as if they were a competitor. At the end of the competition in which any prime judges, they will step down from the position and a new prime is chosen. In the event that a competition has to be canceled for any reason, the current prime has the right to either continue to be prime until a competition is held, or they may elect to step down as if a competition has been held.
Remember it is separate requirements for higher ranks to both be prime and to judge a competition, so everyone will eventually have to accept the position and stick with it for as long as they need if they plan on assessing higher ranks.
In the event that a current prime forfeits their ability to be prime, whether stepping down, lack of attendance, or determined unfit by the instructor, the head instructor may elect to assign a new prime or not until the point of the next competition. If the current prime forfeits the position, it will no longer count towards any requirements for rank. If a new prime is not assigned, the instructor will either elect an individual to judge competition, or will judge it themselves. If an individual is chosen to judge competition in this manner, it will count towards any prerequisites for ranks that may apply
For internal business and projects of The UCSA. Others are welcome to post relevant material.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Jordan Hinckley
- HEMA Alliance Member
- Posts: 603
- Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:05 am
- Location: Salt Lake City, Utah