Review: Sparring Gloves

Historical arms and armor, as well as modern replicas and HEMA training gear (including new books and DVDS), are reviewed and discussed herein.
Nick Sycks

Re: Review: Sparring Gloves

Postby Nick Sycks » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:47 pm

Has anyone tried the "Special" model? The 5-fingered version.

Craig

Postby Craig » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:27 am

I have ordered a pair and they arrived today. My first impressions better than expected (I was ready to be disappointed) and they may be an excellent glove but without trying them I have reservations. They fit well, are comfortable and the level of dexterity is excellent even without breaking them in. Grip on the weapon is better than expected. The level of protection looks complete.

My concern is all around the resin. Basically how strong it is and how it will handle ongoing impact. What level of protection will they provide and are they prone to catastrophic failure. I have no basis for this concern other than a lack of familiarity with the resin.

The resin is also a little rough. However I found a cheap pair of cotton gloves makes the insides very comfortable so I do not see that as an issue. I will post more after I have worn them in bouting and drills. I will also probably put some strong medical tape on the side of the fingers that grip the weapon to ensure the leather of my sword grip does not get damaged.

If all turns out well they may be the best on the market that I have seen (I have not tried the Konig gloves yet) but without giving them extensive use I do not really know.

Nick Sycks

Postby Nick Sycks » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:48 am

I've recently heard third-hand of the resin shattering. I hope this will not happen to your gloves. Please let us know your thoughts after you'd had some use of them!

Nick Sycks

Postby Nick Sycks » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:44 am

After much debate, I decided to order custom Hoof-style gloves with the extended forearm from Sparring Glove. I was previously using Red Dragon gloves and was pleased with them, but wouldn't be allowed to use them in a Longpoint hosted event due to the amount of protection they provide.

Although the SGs do provide more protection for the fingers, I find them lacking protection for the wrist; even when compared to the RDs. The weak point seems to be where the thread sews the padding/rubber plates in place. I gave myself a one-handed hit on the wrist with my longsword and it hurt much more than hits I've received while sparring in my RDs.

As a side note, I was quoted one to two months for custom work from SG. I ordered and paid my down payment on July 24th. More than enough time for the October 14th event date. I received my gloves mid-November. I ended up having to borrow SPES heavies for the event. I can only imagine the new 5-finger model has created a new rush of business for them.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed after having paid over $250 US and I honestly still like my RDs better.

Return to “Equipment”