Men's Groin Protection Reccomendations

Historical arms and armor, as well as modern replicas and HEMA training gear (including new books and DVDS), are reviewed and discussed herein.
Gary Gibson

Men's Groin Protection Reccomendations

Postby Gary Gibson » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:59 am

Seeking recommendations for men's groin protection - for both weapon fencing and abrazare (wrestling). I have only ever worn the basic type cup / jock strap type supporters, and am wondering if there are benefits to particular manufacturer's cups or support such as compression short's with cup pockets. Various manufacturers claim greater protection (e.g. holds the cup in place / better ergonomics) and comfort (which would be a benefit when wearing them all day). Brands such as Nutty buddy, Shock doctor, Diamond MMA, etc. make various claims.

I have found a few recommendations for tournament use (such as hockey girdles w/ cup pockets), but I am looking more for something for every-day class/practice.

What do you all recommend ?
Gary Gibson
Member Schola San Marco, San Diego, CA

Glyn G

Re: Men's Groin Protection Reccomendations

Postby Glyn G » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:00 am

In my experience, having a (mostly) rigid chunk of protection wedged between your legs is bad enough but doing it while running, lunging, kicking and falling over is generally just a chance to exchange the risk of a rare moment of extreme pain for a constant moderate level of pain coupled with a significant restriction in movement. Over the years I've tried a few different cups for both karate and historical fencing, but for most of that time I found myself going without (and taking my knocks without grumbling) as the lesser of the evils.

Last year I decided to try again. This was mainly because as I get older I'm becoming more aware of the potential for permanent injuries rather than just suffering a little for a short time, but I also became aware that some of the time the reason I wasn't being hit was because people were avoiding targeting that area rather than because I was great at defending myself. The cup I settled on this time was the Shock Doctor Titan. The most noticeable feature of this one is that it's made out of steel, which struck me as having a pleasing symmetry given that its main purpose was to protect against other bits of steel (it does has a plastic/gel-like rim for comfort). It should not be confused with the crude Thai-boxing metal cups - this is nicely made and appears to have some thought behind it. The basic shape is slightly different to a normal cup. Where a plastic cup has a domed top that flexes, the Titan cup has a rigid keel shape and feels like it will deflect or block rather than dent. It's quite long, narrow and relatively deep, and doesn't dig in when you lunge or kick (not that I can kick that high any more - YMMV).

I also liked the almost complete lack of holes (there are five tiny ventilation holes at the top). My last cup seemed to be more holes than plastic - I'm sure this works perfectly well when dealing with footballs, hockey pucks and the like, but I was nervous about the chance of a narrow sword tip being caught and directed inwards rather than away. Despite the lack of holes it doesn't get too warm - probably because the metal is a good conductor of heat.

It is one of the few cups I've found where the cup (rather than the jock or supporter) actually comes in different sizes - reverse vanity sizing meaning the smallest "youth" size is referred to as medium, and the two adult sizes are large and extra-large. Please don't ask me how you determine your size, but the reviews on Amazon seem to suggest that it's as much down to how you like your affairs to be arranged as it is to overall size. Note that the cup does not flex (at least, not under any normal amount of force), so getting the size too big or too small is probably going to be a bad thing for you.

You should also note that it doesn't come with a jock/supporter. Personally I think this is a good thing as you generally need more than one pair anyway and I'd rather find some that suit me. I've matched mine with some wicking cricket briefs (Aero Groin Protector). I've not have much joy with the compression shorts as I find that they tend to cut into the top of my legs (I obviously have fat thighs).

I've worn this combination for a weekend event without really noticing it was there which I found astonishing. Your mileage, however, may definitely vary. Your body shape and the way you move will make a big contribution to what works for you. You may also want to consider the level of protection you need. I mainly stick to less than all-out contact, but if you're doing longsword then you probably need to think a bit more about the surrounding area and may not be too worried about being able to do a nice long lunge and recover easily.

For me, though, Shock Doctor Titan: A+++ would buy again, ditto Aero Groin Protector briefs.

Glyn.

Chris Ford

Postby Chris Ford » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I have, I think, the shock doctor carbon flex cup with compression shorts. In retrospect I would get the briefs/jock strap one, or spring for the more padded protective shorts to put it in; the compression shorts just make another layer to trap heat without adding protection. The cup works well and is probably about as comfortable as this kind of thing can be.

Gary Gibson

Postby Gary Gibson » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:09 pm

I really do like the idea of a brief cup holder. I searched for brief cup holder before I headed out to Combat con, but could not find any my size that I could get before departing to Las Vegas.

I ended up purchasing a Shock Doctor Ultra Supporter / Carbon Flex Cupcarbonflex cup. It is far more comfortable wearing for an entire day (for 3 days) than the cheap plastic cup / jock strap type supporters I have been using - some of the extended-use comfort comes from the flexible sides of the cup which does not dig into one's legs.

Now I am looking for a brief cup holder, indeed it appears these (for adults) are are a Cricket oriented item as Glyn indicated. I am now searching for an online store that will combine shipping multiple pairs otherwise it seems I am buying underwear at $25+ USD / pair; any suggestions appreciated.

I'll have to look at the Shock Doctor Titan as well...
Gary Gibson
Member Schola San Marco, San Diego, CA

Tom Farmer

Postby Tom Farmer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Seconding the recommendation for the Shock Doctor shorts and cup. I have the "carbon flex" and it's actually rather comfortable, especially compared to a jock strap.
Tom Farmer
Moniteur d'Escrime Historique Longsword
Rapier, Saber, Longsword, and Sport Fencing Coach
(And my sights are set on the SAFD, too.)

Mike Ruhala
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Mike Ruhala » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:28 pm

I really like the Shock Doctor Bioflex. A simple jock strap is good enough for casual fighting but for tournament use I prefer a football girdle as it adds padding to the hip bones, tail bone and thighs.
Historical fencing on Florida's Treasure Coast!
www.tcfencers.com

Sean Karp

Postby Sean Karp » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:21 am

3rding the Shock Doctor Titan, that or a Nutty Buddy

I've heard a lot of would-have-been horror stories that ended with"... but I had a Titan Alloy/Nutty Buddy so I didn't feel a thing".
"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent

Tom Farmer

Postby Tom Farmer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Is the Titan Alloy the same shape as the Bioflex/Carbon flex?
Tom Farmer
Moniteur d'Escrime Historique Longsword
Rapier, Saber, Longsword, and Sport Fencing Coach
(And my sights are set on the SAFD, too.)

Glyn G

Postby Glyn G » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:40 am

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:44 pm

The type of cup doesn't matter so much as I've noticed (maybe I've been lucky), but what holds it really makes a difference. My favorite type is actually just an elastic cloth piece without a pocket. Similar to this:

That's not the one I mostly use, but it looks the same. The difference between it and most is there's not a pocket to put the cup into. The elastic just presses it to your body from the front. This allows your junk to actually reside in the cup. Otherwise with most pocket types, your junk pushes against the fabric cup pocket in the back which makes the cup sit further away from your body, if that makes sense. The difference is actually pretty noticeable to me. Based on the description I've given, you may be inclined to think it'd move around a lot without some type of pocket to hold it in place, but that hasn't been the case for me at all. I also use the pocket types occasionally while I'm washing the other one, but I've come to prefer the elastic one.

/awkward post complete
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member
Krieg School of Historical Fencing, a HEMAA group

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Return to “Equipment”