Do it Yourself Back of the Head Protection

Historical arms and armor, as well as modern replicas and HEMA training gear (including new books and DVDS), are reviewed and discussed herein.
Tinker Pearce

Re: Do it Yourself Back of the Head Protection

Postby Tinker Pearce » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:13 am

This has to be one of the better modifications for a fencing mask that I have seen. Thanks for sharing this!

A Froster
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby A Froster » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:13 am

Bump
Opposing trolls and shills everywhere for the betterment of HEMA ( hyperbolically speaking that is) otherwise, welcoming to everyone.

Philip Fox
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Philip Fox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:33 am

Why the bump?

Tiger Taylor

Postby Tiger Taylor » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:05 pm

This looks amazing!! I am a leather worker, well - I know enough to get me by, and am trying to construct pieces of gear for myself and the HEMA group I am a part of. My instructor would like me to try my hand at a back of the head piece like this - may I ask for the pattern? My only question would be if this would fit a medium sized head piece, or would I need to adjust the pattern accordingly?

One last question - would it be possible to construct this as is and add protection for the back of the neck later on? Or, would I need to add the neck protection while constructing the whole thing?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. I'm really hoping to learn as much as I can to make some proper leather gear for my HEMA group and test run them through fights and such. Right now I'm stuck on creating leather gloves and have run into snags into creating proper protection with the area between the thumb and index finger while still maintaining proper mobility in the glove. Nightmare city for me right now. -_-

I hope to hear from you soon and thank you so very much for sharing all of this amazing information!

Tiger Taylor

Postby Tiger Taylor » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Okay-

I have not received the file for the pattern via Email, so just winged it from what I saw in the imagery provided here and wanted to do a test run with an old cutting mat before committing to leather with this design. This is what I have so far and do plan to add the buckle at the top in leather but also to add the lobster tail protection on the bottom for neck protection.

What worked well in lacing this together was I used some left over leather lace and it held everything together perfectly with little problem lacing it through.

backofthehead01.jpg

backofthehead02.jpg

backofthehead03.jpg

-Tiger

Marcos Ariño

Postby Marcos Ariño » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:28 am

William885 wrote:
Marcos Ariño wrote:It works great with plastic too! Thanks for this thread, I look forward to the rest of it.

What is that plastic material you are using and where did it come from?

It's a bendable kitchen chopping board from Ikea called DRÄLLA:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/produ ... R%C3%84LLA
Unfortunately now it only comes in red or green.
I now use a commercially available BOH in any case, as this one eventually broke.
Marcos Ariño

John F
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby John F » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:32 am

Awesome write up! You did a solid job, super clean looking. Are you able to share your pattern?
Foil, Epee, Smarra, Sabre, Rapier, Longsword

http://redsunfencing.wordpress.com/

Wizard of Space

Postby Wizard of Space » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:11 pm

could you pm me so i can get the pattern.

Return to “Equipment”