Do it Yourself Back of the Head Protection

Historical arms and armor, as well as modern replicas and HEMA training gear (including new books and DVDS), are reviewed and discussed herein.
Marcos Ariño

Re: Do it Yourself Back of the Head Protection

Postby Marcos Ariño » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:53 pm

A Froster wrote:That is totally awesome Marcos. Can you share what you had to do to make it out of plastic?

Good morning Allen. Thanks. Certainly. I took some pictures as I went along just in case.

This is the BOM. The key element is the plastic itself, which is made of ikea kitchen chopping boards (DRÄLLA): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90131935
This plastic can be cut with scissors and molded with hot water and it stays in the required shape when it cools down. The heat gun is only really needed to soften the edges at a later stage of construction, and I abandoned the idea of making the holes with the belt hole-maker tool (the yellow thing bottom left) after the hundredth hole or so - it works the same with the drill. For cords I used leather strings from a do-it-yourself jewelry shop, but old shoelaces should work just the same.

Then just draw the same shapes as you did with leather.

Now, as regards to these patterns - it works great if you intend to do just this skull cap version, but if you want to add segments in a lobster tail fashion, I think the lower sections on the sides should be a bit wider, so it ends up slightly straighter towards the neck and allows for the next neck segment to have more thread connections.

The next big issue is the inside padding. I want to use velcro rather than glue, so I can remove/replace the padding as needed, but the velcro sticker I use is so strong it tends to break the padding when I remove it (I've used basic insulation foam so far, but need to find something more sturdy). You can see perhaps this detail on the upper right corner in this picture, from a previous version:

I've been toying with the idea of women's clothes shoulder pads, since they are shaped like scales after all, and the solution has to be a sustainable and cheap one that can be found anywhere. The quest continues.

EDIT: stuck at home due to snow and have little work to do, so decided to 'borrow' a couple of shoulder pads from the missus; that won't work. I'm thinking that for the removable padding, maybe cutting out a polyethylene foam camping mat might work best. It remains cheap and and easily available solution.
Marcos Ariño

Jordan Hinckley
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jordan Hinckley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:36 am

That looks awesome! I may have to take a trip to Ikea, not to mention it may be a bit less expensive to do that way.
"Though the pen is mightier than the sword, the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment." The Mouse that Roared by Leonard Wibberley
http://www.TheUCSA.com

Jordan Hinckley
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jordan Hinckley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Am I missing the piece of how you get the pattern to start with? I would love to start work on my own but do not see it on here.
"Though the pen is mightier than the sword, the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment." The Mouse that Roared by Leonard Wibberley

A Froster
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby A Froster » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:19 pm

Jordan Hinckley wrote:Am I missing the piece of how you get the pattern to start with? I would love to start work on my own but do not see it on here.

PM me your email address and I will send it to you. Marcos has the file too.
Opposing trolls and shills everywhere for the betterment of HEMA ( hyperbolically speaking that is) otherwise, welcoming to everyone.

Jordan Hinckley
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jordan Hinckley » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Are we ever going to get the last few instructions on this?

Sean Karp

Postby Sean Karp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Awesomeness like this is why I've decided, for now, that I should just add a perf plate to the front of my SCA helm.

I just do not have the talent to pull of something good like that.

Good job you two. :)

-Sean
"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent

Marcos Ariño

Postby Marcos Ariño » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:24 am

Jordan Hinckley wrote:Are we ever going to get the last few instructions on this?

Good morning Jordan,

As far as the plastic version goes, this is what I've got on the next prototype I'm currently testing.

This time the low end of the 'flanks' are slightly wider than the original template:

As mentioned last time, adhesive velcro on the hard shell and some foam I cut out from a camping mat:

A couple of fascinating pictures of the inside once the camping mat is curved/moulded into it:

Same thing but once it's placed within the mask:

For this version I made a simpler tail (anyone trying to make this or similar will notice that the most tedious part of the process is threading the bits together with string through the *&%@$#! plastic holes).

I toyed with the idea of a velcro strap to attach the the kit more firmly to the head, but I'm not happy with how that came out so I've abandoned that for now. I'm adding this picture anyway to draw your attention to an area that needs improving - see the top of the backhead protection kit in relation to the mask itself. There is a clear gap:

It's not the end of civilisation as we know it, but enough of a bother that justifies a correction - I'm thinking that for the next prototype I need to make the top end of the middle segment curved, rather than straight, so it fits the mask better. This will probably not be an issue on Allen's proper leather version, as I think the attachment to the mask is more firm/static, but the way I've done it with the Leon Paul mask ends up a bit more loose. Murphy's law would dictate that wherever there is a gap, that is precisely where the opponents swords will end up, so I'll see what I can do.

Beyond that all I can add is that I would not recommend anyone try to spray paint the damn thing - just embrace the original grey colour as what you always wanted and save yourselves some frustration (I tried).

You can see what it looks like 'in motion' as it were for example here (also wearing an arming cap, not visible, under the whole affair - I'm the one in the short dark jacket). It's about 30 seconds but you get a reasonable view of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHEFb7IDxNQ

This is just to show the backhead kit, please don't judge the quality of the sparring technique, footwork blah blah blah - I've been doing this for less than a year so please resist the urge of mentioning how crap I am.

Sean Karp wrote:Awesomeness like this is why I've decided, for now, that I should just add a perf plate to the front of my SCA helm.

I just do not have the talent to pull of something good like that.

Good job you two. :)

-Sean

Thank you, but if I can do this (at least the ikea version), anyone can. I really have no discernible talent when it comes to handy work. All you need is a couple of afternoons off. It's more boring than difficult.
Marcos Ariño

A Froster
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby A Froster » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:10 am

Marcos Ariño wrote: Murphy's law would dictate that wherever there is a gap, that is precisely where the opponents swords will end up, so I'll see what I can do.

Marcos,

I think that this is the whole reason that the designer (Terry of That Guy's Products) put the top buckle on the his protector. When it is buckled tightly with the strap riveted to the top of your fencing mask, it closes the gap completely. You just have to be willing to put a rivet hole into that nice expensive Leon Paul Mask in order to accomodate the strap. :cry:
Opposing trolls and shills everywhere for the betterment of HEMA ( hyperbolically speaking that is) otherwise, welcoming to everyone.

Jeremiah Smith
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Jeremiah Smith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:19 am

wait isn't the mesh on leon paul masks made of indestructible adamantium????? I think he might have a hard time getting a rivet punch through it if it can hardly be pierced by a lightsaber :D
Salt Lake City, Study group leader
True Edge Academy
http://www.trueedgeacademy.com/
Member HEMA Alliance

Marcos Ariño

Postby Marcos Ariño » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:27 am

Yes, I must admit that I was trying to work out a solution for that that would not cause any structural damage to the mask, or that would require tools I don't actually have (adamantium-piercing powerdrill etc). I might change my mind at some point of course.
Marcos Ariño

Return to “Equipment”