Charlotte NC clubs

Discuss how to start or run a HEMA club. Also look for HEMA Alliance charter groups or affiliated groups in your area.
Shane Robillard

Charlotte NC clubs

Postby Shane Robillard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:35 am

Are there any clubs or people in the Charlotte, NC area that are active?

Shane

Michael-Forest
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Charlotte NC clubs

Postby Michael-Forest » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:01 am

Not particularly close, I'm afraid:
http://www.communitywalk.com/THE-HEMA-G ... ca-Eastern

You may wish to see if you can get to the Fountain Inn group occasionally. If you can make it to their practices regularly, great. If you can't, consider starting your own club.

If you decide to start your own club, please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you get on your feet. (I'm sure there are several other nice people around here who would be glad to help, as well.)
Michael-Forest Meservy
Noble Science Academy
HEMA Alliance

Jake Norwood

Postby Jake Norwood » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:19 am

Lord1123 wrote:Are there any clubs or people in the Charlotte, NC area that are active?

Shane

Hi Shane.

Please PM the admin, John Harmston, with your real name per forum rules, and he'll change your username.

Thanks,

Jake
Jake Norwood
Capital KDF
xKDF Network
YouTube Channel: DerAltenFechter

Ben Strickling
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Ben Strickling » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi Shane, I'm in Raleigh and our club has worked to help mentor people in North Carolina who are interested in setting up clubs of their own. As with many HEMA groups, we have a lot of advice to give on equipment, marketing, training, curriculum, etc. but we've also really put an effort into trying to visit and help get people started with training of their own. If you're interested in getting a group going of your own, shoot me an email (TriangleSwordGuild@gmail.com) and we can work something out.
Ben Strickling
Triangle Sword Guild, Raleigh, NC
www.TriangleSwordGuild.com

Jean Marie Turner

Postby Jean Marie Turner » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:50 pm

I am very interested in doing whatever I can to help make this happen.

Pike Pullen

Postby Pike Pullen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:37 pm

I am also in Charlotte, NC. I have been interested in this for a while. While I do devote my time to other arts as well, I would be down for meeting up every week or every other week if others were so inclined. As far as I know there is no established group nearby. I would be up for more if the other Charlotteans were still interested.

Pike Pullen

Postby Pike Pullen » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:21 am

Im guessing this thread died....:(

Jean Marie Turner

Postby Jean Marie Turner » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:40 pm

No! This thread isn't dead! Let's see what we can organize. Even if it just starts with 2. Can we meet at a coffee shop or something? Or at Freedom Park this Sunday? I've met some great SCA folks there who have been such a huge help with teaching me the basics... foot work etc. They gather by the train at 11am.

Pike Pullen

Postby Pike Pullen » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:06 am

I would be up for meeting. My interest is more in more of the competitive aspect of things. I wont be able to do it this Sunday as I will be out of town. But the following Sunday should be ok. Or any day really, I work a regular 9-5. So any time out of then. We should probably reach out to Ben, at the very least get some advice from him.

Ben Strickling
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Ben Strickling » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:50 am

Shane / Jean,

Sorry. It looks like I dropped the ball on this thread. For the past month or two I've only been on here sporadically. Eric Lowe, from the NY Historical Fencing Association, just moved down to Charlotte and I'm sure would be very interested in finding training partners. Pike emailed me earlier and I put them in contact, but if Eric doesn't show up here, I can pass your info along to him, if you're interested. Let me know. My email: TriangleSwordGuild@gmail.com
Ben Strickling
Triangle Sword Guild, Raleigh, NC
www.TriangleSwordGuild.com

Return to “Clubs & Organizations”