Charlotte NC clubs

Discuss how to start or run a HEMA club. Also look for HEMA Alliance charter groups or affiliated groups in your area.
Eric Lowe

Re: Charlotte NC clubs

Postby Eric Lowe » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:56 am

Ben just let me know about this thread. I'm in contact with Pike already (as of this afternoon, anyway). I've just moved to Charlotte, but I'd absolutely be interested in getting a group together out here. Shane, Jean, feel free to PM me, and let's see what we can get going!

EDIT: To be clear, while I would hardly characterize myself as an expert, I am interested in getting together a study group to meet weekly, and as long as we're talking about folks who have little to no experience, I'd feel comfortable leading it.

Eric Lowe

Postby Eric Lowe » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Shane, in case the PMs aren't working (and they seem to be a bit stuck), Jean and I are going to be meeting at Freedom Park this Sunday, November 2, at about 1:00 or 1:15. If you can make it, I'd be happy to see you there!

Shane Robillard

Postby Shane Robillard » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:53 am

I apologize for not responding. For some reason my subscription to this thread was not sending me emails so I had no idea that people were replying. The fault is my own. I have contacted you eric and will be meeting you both at showmars this weekend to talk. I am happy that someone else is interested and we can get somewhat of a club started on this.

Shane

ps. I pmed John to change my name.

Eric Lowe

Postby Eric Lowe » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:00 am

Not a problem, Shane!

For anybody else who finds this thread - I'm not here on the boards on a regular basis, but if you PM me, I will get a notification, and I will respond. Excited to get things going in Charlotte!

Dave Bruzdzinski

Postby Dave Bruzdzinski » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 am

Hey guys, I'm in the sca and also have a strong interest in getting a club going in Charlotte. I also have a few others I fight with regularly who want to start. Maybe we can get in with a fencing club and have a space for it.... Either way I'm in! Let's do this!!!

Kyle Edwards

Postby Kyle Edwards » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Hello all,

I am new to the HEMA group but am interested in use of German Longsword and or hand and a half along with axe use. If a club does start would be interested in practices with people. Im 48 years old but in pretty good shape and have had extensive martial arts experience. Let me know! Thanks

Kyle

Eric Lowe

Postby Eric Lowe » Sat May 16, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi! That's a very generous offer. We have weekly practice at Nevin Community Park these days (contact swordwindhs@gmail.com for more information). We'd be happy to answer any HEMA-related questions we can, and if you want to stop by practice to see what we're about, it would be great to meet you!

Eric Lowe

Postby Eric Lowe » Sat May 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Great! I know it's last-minute, but if you can make it, our next practice is tomorrow (Sunday the 17th) from 2:00 to 3:00 and 3:00 to 5:00, at the arcade above the playground at Nevin Community Park (follow signs for Shelter One).

Eric Lowe

Postby Eric Lowe » Mon May 18, 2015 10:46 am

Sounds good! We're at Nevin Park every Sunday from 3:00 to 5:00, and sometimes from 2:00 to 3:00 as well (2:00 to 3:00 is presently reserved for beginner lessons, which happen slightly less frequently depending upon demand). Hope you'll be able to make it next time!

Eric Lowe

Postby Eric Lowe » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:17 am

Hi David! I run Swordwind, the Charlotte branch of the New York Historical Fencing Association. We are very much still active, and have been doing quite well since this thread was started. We have regular classes on early Liechtenauer (German) longsword, early Bolognese (Italian) sidesword, as well as a once-monthly staff study group. We have a somewhat outdated website at www.swordwind.org.

We meet Sundays from 2:00 to 5:00 at Nevin Community Park, with beginner classes from 2:00 to 3:00. Classes are $5 each or $25 for the month. E-mail me at swordwindhs@gmail.com and I can put you on the mailing list for our weekly practice updates/reminders (no class this coming weekend, for instance).

If you've got further questions I'm happy to chat about them by e-mail or here. Hope to hear from you soon!

Eric

Return to “Clubs & Organizations”