how to start?miracle needed

Discuss how to start or run a HEMA club. Also look for HEMA Alliance charter groups or affiliated groups in your area.
Raymundo

how to start?miracle needed

Postby Raymundo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:01 am

Before anything i would like to point out that english is not my mother tounge and all of that jazz bla bla...so expect some mistakes here and there...and this might be a long text,so if you could help me and read this expect a very gratefull "thank you" from me.
First of all i Discovered Hema about a month ago and i tought to myself "this is awesome!" I really wanted to join something in the lines o hema for sometime,well at least try it out because i always loved sword fighting,like really enjoy it,if i had more free time i would like to study it and practice it.
I tought of getting into fencing before but it didnt really seem like my style(i dont know,keep in mind i really havent try it)but i imagine it is relatively different from HEMA,and a rapier must feel different from a longsword and other kind of swords(but i imagine you might also use rapiers),the thing is i really have a lot of question to do about it(maybe not that many actually) like how big is hema actually?is there many different styles of swordfighting?with how many kinds of swords you guys use?do you use other weapons besides swords?do you organize tournaments?are there other organisations similiar to yours?how does your classes work and look like? And now maybe my biggest and more important question as you will understand later on...if this organisation is purely free,from where did you got sponsered from? Like Hema seems to be relativaly world wide right, and i doubt some can achive something like that for free, especially as i learned today it is non-profit and for some reason i really tought that was wierd,not to speak the equipement must not be cheap. I tought i would be something like my old muay thai classes or even my gym,where you pay x amount of money per month and would be allowed to participate in the classes.
The thing is as I was looking for stuff related to hema i found out there isnt any club near me,there are some in portugal(where i live) but none in my zone that i know of. Then comes the mad plan. What if I could "create" somekind of club like this in my zone,who knows what can happen,even if it is possible at all,for i am really young(16 yo) and dont have a lot of money to invest. Soo i came to ask for tips to professionals as i would like to learn and teach historical european martial arts.
The thing is that im currently working at a restaurant as a summer job and i hate it! It really sucks. But even in bad experiences we learn,and i learned that i want to do something that makes me happy and i enjoy.Im not saying that i would be able to teach this martial art full time job for the rest of my life and even if I should make profit from it but for now it would be awesome.It would be great to achive such a feat in a young age and c'mon is a freaking martial art!
So if you read all of my questions what would you advice me?And what will i need to achive such a feat?
Im willing to bring this crazy idea forth,of me creating a organization or joining yours if possible to achive something to make me happy,but i will be honest I planned to win some kind of profit from it.Im already thinking of other "crazy plans"to win some extra money to help this idea. But i think you already got the point, once again thank you!

RJ McKeehan
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: how to start?miracle needed

Postby RJ McKeehan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Raymundo wrote:how big is hema actually?

10's of thousands of people world wide.

Raymundo wrote:is there many different styles of swordfighting?

Yes, within longsword there are multiple types of fighting, primarily German and Italian, and among other weapons there are many masters and manuals as well. Look up the Wiktenauer and check it out.

Raymundo wrote:with how many kinds of swords you guys use?

HEMA encompasses all Historical European Martial Arts. So as many Historical European swords you can find, we could potentially use. Most clubs focus on the longsword, rapier, messer, saber, sidesword, etc.

Raymundo wrote:do you use other weapons besides swords?

Some clubs practice polearm technique, as well as wrestling. If it's a Historical European Martial Art, we do it.

Raymundo wrote:do you organize tournaments?

Yes, there are many world-wide. Look up Longpoint, Swordfish, SoCal Swordfight, Purpleheart Open, etc. Youtube is your friend.

Raymundo wrote:are there other organisations similiar to yours?

The HEMA Alliance is likely the largest organization aimed at promoting and supporting HEMA, but we do not "own" the practice of the art, there are other organizations that practice it as well.

Raymundo wrote:how does your classes work and look like?

Each club practices in a different way.

Raymundo wrote:And now maybe my biggest and more important question as you will understand later on...if this organisation is purely free,from where did you got sponsered from?

The members of the HEMAA pay dues that help keep the Alliance alive and allow us to promote events and clubs, etc.

Raymundo wrote:So if you read all of my questions what would you advice me?And what will i need to achive such a feat?

You mentioned you're only 16. I like your enthusiasm, but you should look for a club near you using the Club Finder. If none exists, perhaps post on the HEMAA Facebook page to see if there's anyone near you who would like to form a club. Use youtube and other resources to learn the basics. Make it out to a major event, learn from classes there.

Raymundo wrote:...but i will be honest I planned to win some kind of profit from it.

Don't expect to make a profit from HEMA at this point in your life. It's not a very profitable market (and I'm doing HEMA for a living). Instead maybe learn a little more about the art. Look up Blood & Iron, Skallagrim, Scholagladiatoria on Youtube, watch their videos.
RJ McKeehan
South Coast Swords, Orange County, CA
HEMA Alliance Lifetime Member

Return to “Clubs & Organizations”