Technique interpretation website idea.

For project proposals, updates, and volunteering. Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
HEMA Alliance approved projects are marked with an asterisk. You do not need to be a member to propose or contribute to a project, though you do need to be a member to be a project team lead. Non-Alliance projects that are for the primary benefit of the full HEMA community are welcome in this forum.
Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Re: Technique interpretation website idea.

Postby Ben Floyd » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:41 am

A rating of zero would affect ranking somewhat, depending on how the weighting system scored voting.

If 100 people voted:

0(neutral)/20 people, 1(fair)/20 people, 2(good)/30 people, 3(excellent)/30 people = 170 score out of possible 300 = 56% of maxium possible points

If those that voted 0 now vote 1:

1/40 people, 2/30 people, 3/30 people = 190 out of 300 possible = 63 of maxium possible points

If the people that voted 0 decided not to vote at all but everyone else voted the same (80 people voting):

1/20 people, 2/30 people, 3/30 people = 170 out of 240 = 71 of maxium possible points

----------

So the variance between the three different systems is 5.6 versus a 7.1 (on a scale of 1 to 10). So, a 1.5 swing between the extremes.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member
Krieg School of Historical Fencing, a HEMAA group

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Craig Shackleton
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Craig Shackleton » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 am

I was thinking in terms of total score rather than percentage of maximum score, wherein a zero score would have the same weight as no rating. So I guess it is dependent on how the total scoring is presented.

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:37 pm

The problem with that would be the oldest videos would potentially have the most votes. This wouldn't be a problem if everyone voted on every video, but you can't assume that.

If you wanted to give less weight to neutral in my previous example, you could rate neutral as 1, fair as 2, and so forth. In my previous post, that would make the score 67.5 (neutral as 1) vs. 56 (neutral as zero).

The score doesn't have to be displayed as anything other than the word equilivent either. >25% equals Neutral, 26-50% equals fair, etc.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member

"A poor Stück will be executed by an ingenious mindful person much more usefully in the work, than the best one will be executed by a fool."

Dan Sellars

Postby Dan Sellars » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:20 am

I don't think that a rating system is the biggest problem here. The problem is getting people who have something worth while to say to bother to make videos in the first place.

This idea is not really that different to the "Video Exchange Forum" section over at the WMAC forums. It is a nice idea but really didn't get the take up that was hoped and needed. Once the key people stopped creating videos because they where the only ones it just kind of withered and died.

Sorry to be negative but you need buy in or a corn field to build it in. :-)
Dan Sellars
Context is everything

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:48 am

If you build it, they will come? If you don't, they wouldn't have come anyway since there's no where to go.

The only way forward is to try something. If you don't ever try anything because you are afraid it won't work, you'll likely not do much of anything, ever.

I don't think a forum is the best interface for what should be done anyway.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member

Dan Sellars

Postby Dan Sellars » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Ben Floyd wrote:If you build it, they will come? If you don't, they wouldn't have come anyway since there's no where to go.

The only way forward is to try something. If you don't ever try anything because you are afraid it won't work, you'll likely not do much of anything, ever.

I don't think a forum is the best interface for what should be done anyway.

I was just trying to point out that there is somewhere else to go and no one does. Although yes it's not the best format. It's a lot of work taking something like this on is all.

Rather than getting all fancy it is probably better, like most things, to start small and simple and get people interested in the idea. That is the key and the very hard part it will need nurturing for the long term. Other very good and very cool initiatives (like Martial Challenges on the Schola site :-( ) have stalled because they were not nurtured.
Dan Sellars
Context is everything

Michael-Forest
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Michael-Forest » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Sorry for chiming in so late, but when it comes to interpretations, I really only see one relevant rating system.

It's one where visitors can select only 1 interpretation for any specific technique (assuming that there are not multiple equally valid interpretations—if so, then it could be limited to the top 2 or 3 interpretations, etc.)

Selecting this technique means "I think this is the correct interpretation, or as near as I've seen anyone get."

If you think a technique is wrong, it really shouldn't matter so much if it's half-wrong, or mostly-wrong.

Does this make sense?
Michael-Forest Meservy
Noble Science Academy
HEMA Alliance

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm

not bad. I like it. Maybe there could be a repoll every quarter/half year to keep things fresh. It should also keep the history. I don't know. ...just making things more complicated. :twisted:

It would be a disservice to have someone rate a lot of stuff, change their mind later, but not update the rating.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member

KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:14 pm

Good point. How about every rating has a life span of six months, at which point that one vote disappears and the individual is free to make a new choice or the same choice again. There would have to be an email reminder sent out to remind people when the six months are almost up, but this method would prevent the problem Ben mentioned.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website Facebook blog
Fallen Rook Publishing: website Facebook

Ben Floyd
Site Admin

Postby Ben Floyd » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:25 pm

just having it disappear would be great. emailing to advise of this would be great too. there still could be an all-time rating vs. a current one though.
Ben Floyd
HEMAA Lifetime Member

Return to “HEMA Alliance Projects”