Distance learning

For project proposals, updates, and volunteering. Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
HEMA Alliance approved projects are marked with an asterisk. You do not need to be a member to propose or contribute to a project, though you do need to be a member to be a project team lead. Non-Alliance projects that are for the primary benefit of the full HEMA community are welcome in this forum.
jose_ortiz
HEMA Alliance Member

Re: Distance learning

Postby jose_ortiz » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Yes,
We are planning on doing that when we are up and running. We are planning to start off with german longsword for now....we are not that many here. And to be frank only 2-3 of us would be regulars right now. The video idea is really good, we feed a lot from videos, plus everything we can read.
Att
Jose

Jason Taylor

Postby Jason Taylor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:39 am

Hey Mike,

I want to call dibs on your instruction over Skype, if you're interested. I'd love to do a couple of hours with you and a few of my group members on introductory tatami cutting.

I'd also love to set up an instructional time with someone if they'd like me to teach. Jose, where is your group located? Jonathan Mayshar and I have done a whole bunch of work on introductory materials, so maybe we can help you out there.

Jason
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle

Mike Edelson
Site Admin

Postby Mike Edelson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Jason,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I don't often read forums these days. I'll email or PM you. Though in all honesty I think you are too advanced to gain much benefit from video training with likes of moi.
Director, HEMA Alliance Curriculum Council

New York Historical Fencing Association (HEMAA Affiliate School)
http://www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakokkan Dojo
http://www.newyorkbattodo.com

Jason Taylor

Postby Jason Taylor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:19 am

Michael Edelson wrote:Hi Jason,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I don't often read forums these days. I'll email or PM you. Though in all honesty I think you are too advanced to gain much benefit from video training with likes of moi.

Ha! I don't know about that, but I do know that we could use some instruction in the fine art of cutting. Our last attempt at tatami left me feeling that we were missing some element in the equation.

Jason
Kron Martial Arts, Orange County
HEMA Alliance Founding Member
World-Famous Sickle Authority and General Proponent of all Things Sickle

jose_ortiz
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby jose_ortiz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi,
where can I post the videos? on which section?
Att
Jose

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:33 pm

If you put the videos up in Martial Techniques under a thread with your group's name and 'videos' you'll get plenty of feedback from those who view it. If you want something more personal, perhaps PM anyone you like here and they can help you out one on one. I've noticed there are lots of people here who know how to teach and properly critique video and plenty on this thread seem willing to do it.

Best wishes!

jose_ortiz
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby jose_ortiz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks a lot!!

Mike Edelson
Site Admin

Postby Mike Edelson » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:16 am

Posting video can only do so much. Distance learning is about live instruction. Of course that's limited also, but it's a lot better than video critiquing.
Director, HEMA Alliance Curriculum Council

New York Historical Fencing Association (HEMAA Affiliate School)
http://www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakokkan Dojo
http://www.newyorkbattodo.com

Return to “HEMA Alliance Projects”