Master of Arms, Scouting, and HEMA

For project proposals, updates, and volunteering. Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
HEMA Alliance approved projects are marked with an asterisk. You do not need to be a member to propose or contribute to a project, though you do need to be a member to be a project team lead. Non-Alliance projects that are for the primary benefit of the full HEMA community are welcome in this forum.
Joel Norman

Re: Master of Arms, Scouting, and HEMA

Postby Joel Norman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 am

Yes, Keith, that's exactly how it could work. The merit badge booklet (and/or pdf) would just come with basic information about different disciplines, particularly ones that the general public doesn't know much about (like all of our material) as well as references as to how to find instructors.
Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.
6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
Psalms 149:5 - 7

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Can I hear some ideas from those interested in how this will become a reality? Concrete plans that can move forward? I hate when good ideas stall-out!

I'm working on a few of my own, but I really like this one and wan't to be supportive and encouraging.

Tony Wolf

Postby Tony Wolf » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:56 pm

This article may be of some use/interest - http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/2010/ ... f-defence/ .

A number of years ago Terry Glover, an instructor of Filipino martial arts in the UK, devised a very elaborate revival of the Master at Arms badge, complete with a strongly FMA-influenced reinterpretation of singlestick and quarterstaff. I'm not sure that anything much came of it, but there are some details on his website - http://english-combat.co.uk/ .

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Keith P. Myers » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:04 am

Richard Marsden wrote:Can I hear some ideas from those interested in how this will become a reality? Concrete plans that can move forward? I hate when good ideas stall-out!

I'm working on a few of my own, but I really like this one and wan't to be supportive and encouraging.

Well, from what Joel has written it sounds to me like it would simply be a matter of the scouting officials to define a few general parameters for the badge and then put it out there. Then the individual scout would have to find a martial arts group or school that interested them and spend some time there. I don't see that the HEMA community having much to do to help, other than serving as a source of teaching should a scout present himself to a given group. Sounds to me like the scout can define "master of arms" as whatever he wants....be it Tae Kwon Do or German Longsword.
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

Richard Marsden
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Richard Marsden » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:28 am

How do the scouting masters know to do this?

Would this be for individual clubs to work out to find the Boy Scouts and determine interest?

Keith P. Myers
HEMA Alliance Member

Postby Keith P. Myers » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:04 pm

How do the scouting masters know to do this?

---That's where Joel comes in! ;)

Would this be for individual clubs to work out to find the Boy Scouts and determine interest?

---I guess individual clubs could approach a Boy Scout Troop and offer to put together a HEMA program for the boys interested in the Master of Arms badge. They would probably think that was pretty cool! But that would be on an individual basis. It seems to me that the more likely scenario would be the individual Scout being interested in a given martial art and using that interest, and his own initiative to find someone to teach it to him, to work toward the badge.

---So the Phoenix Society could approach local Scout Troop #xxx and offer to put together a 3 month course on Polish Saber. Or Maryland Kunst des Fechten could approach local Scout Troop #xxx and offer to put together a 3 month course on Longsword. That's how I would see HEMA making a contribution. The challenge would be providing proper equipment vs. requiring the scouts to purchase it themselves.
Keith P. Myers
Lifetime Member HEMA Alliance
Affiliate: Bartitsu Society & Cateran Society
Friend: Meyer Frei Fechter Guild
Rockville, Maryland

John Harmston
Site Admin

Postby John Harmston » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:11 pm

From what I know about merit badges (Eagle Scout), this 3 month period we are throwing around is a WAY bigger commitment than anything I've ever heard of.
John Harmston
Senior Instructor - True Edge Academy
HEMA Alliance Forum Admin
Lifetime Member, HEMA Alliance

John Hines

Postby John Hines » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 pm

John Harmston wrote:From what I know about merit badges (Eagle Scout), this 3 month period we are throwing around is a WAY bigger commitment than anything I've ever heard of.

Family Life, Physical Fitness, and other required merit badges all take 3 months. It is the longest commitment found in merit badges. Most aim for a day though. Eagle Scout 2004

John Harmston
Site Admin

Postby John Harmston » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am

Fair enough. I got my Eagle in the 80's. :D
John Harmston
Senior Instructor - True Edge Academy
HEMA Alliance Forum Admin
Lifetime Member, HEMA Alliance

Joel Norman

Postby Joel Norman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:19 pm

A HEMA group could absolutely approach a scout unit, and vice versa. It would be a badge a kid could earn on his own, certainly, but many troops do work on badges together. There's no reason they couldn't work on this one together.
Yes, the BSA simply needs to define parameters of what is acceptable as part of the badge, but this is why they have not done so (according to their top leader): they don't have people who know much about martial arts or combative sports. Us giving them parameters "pre-packaged" in a reasonable way would help them know what we are talking about, and would give us the ability to heavily influence (and probably completely write) the final product.
Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.
6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
Psalms 149:5 - 7

Return to “HEMA Alliance Projects”