Article storage website

For project proposals, updates, and volunteering. Please read the forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
HEMA Alliance approved projects are marked with an asterisk. You do not need to be a member to propose or contribute to a project, though you do need to be a member to be a project team lead. Non-Alliance projects that are for the primary benefit of the full HEMA community are welcome in this forum.
Borislav Krustev

Article storage website

Postby Borislav Krustev » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:06 am

I am sure all of you have seen how in recent years we have more and more serious, thorough, in-depth articles on many, many topics on HEMA. And how a large part of them are scattered around the internet, on various websites, forums, blogs, pdfs, etc.

I recognize how Roger Norling tried to create a place (HROARR) where people can publish, in a really great format for a website with a beautiful design... yet it just created another website we all have to check regularly to not miss anything.

And then we have dozens of articles of page 10-17 of the “Scholarly research” forum… It is really hard to go through all of those pages, and read everything, and I think a lot of people just don’t do that, because they feel anything on a forum that is on page two is probably too old to be discussed. And other HEMA forums go the same way.

So what I propose as a project is a sort of an aggregator of links to HEMA articles. Just the name of the article, key words, key themes, maybe a sort of an abstract, and a link to the original source – blog, website, pdf, without actually hosting it (or maybe we will, otherwise, it would not be article storage).

A simple search engine on the site can search through categories (like articles related to interpretation, articles on weapons, articles on specific manuals or masters, etc). There should be some standards, but definitely not truly academic ones (many of the best articles I’ve seen are not up to the highest academic standards).

Some time ago people suggested part of the Wiktenauer to have videos of techniques, but the problem with differences in interpretation among most scholars ruined that. However, we are constantly bringing information in words, and while we challenge ideas we do not like, articles are mostly informative, and in other cases not stating a position “this is the way I do it and it is the only right way”- they are just showing possibilities all we can try and learn from.

I am not skilled in php, html and all the web stuff (although I do have some basic knowledge), but I do not think that a website like this will be hard for a web designer and web programmer. I think a simple design centered around a search engine, like in jstor.org, will b really good for this purpose.

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Re: Article storage website

Postby Michael Chidester » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:31 pm

(Fortunately, the charging one has been solved now that we've all standardized on mini-USB. Or is it micro-USB? Shit.)
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Borislav Krustev

Postby Borislav Krustev » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:58 pm

I feel your support and elaborate critique on the subject invigorating.

Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Project Director

Postby Michael Chidester » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm a helper! :D
Michael Chidester
Wiktenauer Director
HEMA Alliance, WMAC

Insquequo omnes gratuiti fiunt

Jeffrey Hull

Postby Jeffrey Hull » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:42 pm

It is a good idea. Your intentions are obviously are good. :idea:

Yet from my own author's viewpoint, it seems that if I do several hard-wrought essays only for the eternally ungrateful so-called WMA Community to complain that they do not get the access that they need, then they ought to consider that I have a (copy)right to control distribution and that in any event I may be getting no compensation (i.e. as per the case of my recent triad of essays). And quite honestly, nobody has clamoured to offer an alternative distribution at a web-site for said essays, despite electronic analytics proving to me that there is an interest in said essays spanning every major European country amongst about three dozen total countries across the world. Just as a case in point.

A given author may quite frankly find such lethargic disregard for his hard-wrought essays rather dismaying. Honestly, sometimes it may feel like throwing pearls before swine. So to expect some kind of omnibus-website to solve all that may be unrealistic. :|

Borislav Krustev

Postby Borislav Krustev » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 am

How would you define "alternative distribution"?

Consider a first-timer. He may not even know who you are and why going through 20 forum pages to find all your essays is worthwile. A website, which will also have at least some data on th authors (area of study, other articles/books published), will also make those authors more known as the top schollars of the community.

And Jeff, you posted the last three essays, didn't you? So you are already throwing the pearls at our piggly faces for free.

Oh, and MC (guys, all your names are like that - MC, JN, JC, KF, JH), i think Roger Norling's standards are pretty good - http://www.hroarr.com/articles-reviews/ ... -of-texts/

Jeffrey Hull

Postby Jeffrey Hull » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Borislav Krustev wrote:How would you define "alternative distribution"?

Relative to me, somewhere other than the excellent Academia.edu - which is where choose to post because I can post something with virtually complete control.

In turn, why is it nobody likes how one must sign up, for free no less, to said website, yet nobody offers to host essays at a reputable alternative website?

I am talking from my recent experience, as somebody who can only do so much to distribute his work - for free even - yet readers still fooking complain about it. :roll: I can only do so much, and should be expected only to do so much.

Fook, nobody complains about that academic translation of Meyer by a state-sponsored author, which is so exclusive that nobody can purchase it at any price (WE all know the book I mean), ready to climb all over each other and cut each others throats just to obtain copy for $300+ when it appears at Amazon or SFI House of Pancakes or wherever. But God forbid you write three essays, make them into beautiful PDFs, and try to distribute as best you can, for free no less, and then everybody fooking complains, if they even notice at all. Fook, it is not like JSTOR-extortion or something.

This is all meant to agree with a lot of what you said, BK, but just I think there is no solution really.

Jeffrey Hull

Postby Jeffrey Hull » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:26 pm

Hello BK

Okay, how about something more constructive to summarise what I meant to say instead of just my ranting & raving. :idea:

Things to consider to make an article storage website:

Some authors may want great control over distribution of articles while others care not, concerns for copyright, option to request removal.

The nature & reputation of such a website are important, plus cyber-security.

Maybe such a website should not have a forum, would just muddle the mission, but could have e-mail to webmaster to answer technical concerns.

The target reading public may not acutally care anyway, and ignore articles despite however good the articles are, which may dismay authors.

The stuff should be for free, with no hidden adjacent members-only website/forum, although perhaps a free screened registration may be acceptable.

Okay, I hope that was more helpful than my previous comments. ;)

Borislav Krustev

Postby Borislav Krustev » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks, JH, I was banging my head a bit with the previous posting....

Some authors may want great control over distribution of articles while others care not, concerns for copyright, option to request removal.

That is their right. We cannot force anyone. And the idea is not to host everything, but just provide links to where it is hosted. You do so in the forum all the time, without asing permissions, right (I bet you didn't ask JC for permission to post the last ARMADA article)
The nature & reputation of such a website are important, plus cyber-security.

The nature should be made clear - to gather the scholarly knowledge. And if it is a project of the HEMAA, which has another exemplary project such as the Wiktenauer, I think the reputation problem is covered
Maybe such a website should not have a forum, would just muddle the mission, but could have e-mail to webmaster to answer technical concerns.

No forum, I think there is no need for that. We have plenty of forums already:). And of course there will be some contact form. It should encourag people who write an article to actually send it to the webmaster, the same way they now go around the forums to post it to everyone.
The target reading public may not acutally care anyway, and ignore articles despite however good the articles are, which may dismay authors.

The target reading public is us and everyone that joins HEMA, and also the many not so active HEMA students, who do not feel like searching for every single article written on different topics.

The stuff should be for free, with no hidden adjacent members-only website/forum, although perhaps a free screened registration may be acceptable.

Definetely. Authors should provide some information (although I do not think we need to ask anyone for academic credentials - Oakeshott did not have any and see what he did). As a matter of access. I am talking about a website with similar policies as the Wiktenauer.

Jeffrey Hull

Postby Jeffrey Hull » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:48 pm

BK : Okay, you have convinced me - it now seems like a venture that would most likely be successful and appreciated. :)

Return to “HEMA Alliance Projects”